Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Stupid character limit made my title a bit misleading, sorry--actual title should be more like "Which Top Colleges Make A Special Effort to Enroll High-Promise, Poor Students?" Of interest to topics discussed here, and to parents (such as myself) of limited means with high-ability children who may feel concern about sending their kids into a world they may find unfamiliar.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/09/u...iddle-class-and-poor.html?abt=0002&abg=1

B
    B
    From the article:

Maybe the starkest example is Washington University in St. Louis, one of the hot colleges of recent years, having climbed to No. 14 in the U.S. News rankings last year. Only about 6 percent of the freshman class in recent years at Wash. U., as it’s known, have received Pell grants, even though it is one of the country’s 25 richest colleges on a per-student basis.
    This is probably related to the existence of merit scholarships at Washington University http://admissions.wustl.edu/scholar...p-Fellowship-Programs/Pages/default.aspx . Unlike David Leonhardt of the NYT, I hope there will be an increasing number of prestigious universities that don't try to gouge the children of affluent parents in order to give some students an almost free ride.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Unlike David Leonhardt of the NYT, I hope there will be an increasing number of prestigious universities that don't try to gouge the children of affluent parents in order to give some students an almost free ride.

I think the old saying is that if you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it.

I hope there will be an increasing number of prestigious universities that don't try to gouge the children of affluent parents in order to give some students an almost free ride.

If universities weren't frantically installing concierge services in order to attract the children of affluent children, nobody would have to be gouged.

Originally Posted by Dude
    I hope there will be an increasing number of prestigious universities that don't try to gouge the children of affluent parents in order to give some students an almost free ride.

If universities weren't frantically installing concierge services in order to attract the children of affluent children, nobody would have to be gouged.

I think places like Harvard don't have to actually charge tuition given their levels of wealth.

22B Offline
    This is all well and good but the "College Access Index" just looks like some cooked up number.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    22B--I agree. That number looked fakey to me, too.

C
    C
    There are the service academies (and the related ROTC scholarships). A lot of doctors where we live paid for their school via the ROTC route.

... which is great unless your child is ineligible for some reason. (asthma, ADD, etc. are all DQ's.)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    C
    That's true. It's not for everyone (but it is for some folks).

There is also Deep Springs college (but it's just for male students under 25 who are capable of working on a ranch).

www.deepsprings.edu

But it's free (so it might be good for a poor student). I will try to keep the names coming.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM