Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Barbus Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I am looking for suggestions for schools, homeschool groups, and activities for gifted kids in the greater Cleveland area. We've done a bit of research on our own, but understand that we have blind spots. Plus, we're new to this whole thing.

For context, we have a DS6 who was attending a primary cluster (K-2) at Near West Intergenerational School in Ohio City because they say that they enable children to "learn in a time frame and manner that suit[s] their individual capabilities". After two teacher turnovers, and multiple conversations with faculty and the principal, it was obvious to both them and us that they couldn't/wouldn't tailor an experience for our son's individual capabilities (not to mention the ongoing bullying). We pulled him out near the end of the year for home schooling until we could find something more flexible and cooperative.

Any help is appreciated.

Sorry I missed this earlier.

We just moved from the NEO area.

Have you looked into Menlo Park? I don't have personal experience with it. My husband had a coworker with a child there. They love it. I looked into it as a back up of our home district for my kids. Ultimately, we got what we needed from our home district. We were on east side of town and it would have been quite a haul everyday.

B
    B
    Hi Barbus,
    We are from the Greater Cleveland Area too. I agree that you should check out Menlo Park. I took a tour there a few months ago and they seem really good.
    My daughter is starting Kindergarten next month. Currently we are going to try our local public school, but we are keeping Menlo Park in mind if it doesn't work out. Though, it will also be a long drive for us.
    I too would love to hear any other suggestions.
    Also, I have been thinking for a while now about setting up a Meetup group for parents of gifted children. I would love to meet other parents in the area.

Barbus Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We looked into Menlo Park last year. My wife took a couple of tours, scoured the website, and read all their materials (she's very fastidious). Since we were told there were 28 openings for kindergarten, we thought we would have a good chance in their lottery (only siblings of current students can get in without the lottery). We paid the application fee and our DS took the required IQ test. However, when we heard back, we were told that we were number 26 on the waitlist for only 2 open slots. When we asked why we were told that there were more open slots, they informed us that there were only 2 slots open for non-Cleveland residents (we live just west of Cleveland). We looked back over all their material, and nowhere did it mention that. So, we ended up at Near West Intergenerational School.

Our local district has no gifted programs until 3rd grade (With testing in 2nd grade). Since our DS will be entering 1st grade, but is reading at over an 8th grade level and just started 5th grade math, we're going to stick with homeschool until we find a better option.

bmoore4, we're totally open to a Meetup group for gifted kids! We don't know many others in the area, so it would be good to get together.

Are you thinking of campus international? That one is not gifted school, but has a great curriculum. They are a part of CMSD, so you do have a better chance in cleveland. My ds got in twice to menlo, no problem, and we aren't cleveland residents. They are an independent charter with no home district, the only residency requirement is that you live in ohio. Their website actually says they still have openings for the current year.

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    Barbus Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Amber, We looked at Campus International as well a couple of years ago, but wrote it off because they were up front about giving preference to Cleveland residents and there were very few spots for others. We also weren't a fan of their larger class sizes. But we did like that they had Mandarin instruction.

Have you liked Menlo? Our experiences with them have kind of soured us, but we also don't know anyone with a child there for an insider's view. We are especially interested in flexibility since our DS6.5 would do well with much more advanced math and science, but could still use more grade-appropriate spelling/writing instruction.

We declined admission both times. The first time was for early entrance to K, and we just thought the day was too long with the drive for a 4 year old. The next year we got into K again, but wanted to enroll him in first instead. They didn't have room right away, so they wanted us to just enroll in K and have him tested to move up after a few months. We would have done that, but we also had a not great feeling about how they dealt with food allergies at the time. There seems to be a lot of turn over there, I follow what goes on to keep them on the radar. We ended up homeschooling, and it's working really well, so we've stuck with it.

Last edited by Amber; 09/15/14 03:22 PM.

M
    M
    My niece went to Ruffing Montessori in Cleveland Heights and loved it. From what I've seen and heard, it seems like a great school.

I've heard good and bad about ruffing. I love Montessori, but unfortunately there tuition is not in our budget.

Barbus Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Amber, do you belong to any homeschool groups, or are you flying solo?

Thanks for the input, McSweeny. We have a friend across the street who is going to the west side Ruffing Montessori and they like it, but we're in the same boat as Amber — our budget wouldn't cover it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM