Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Any allergy medications involved here?

Become what you are
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    It's interesting that so many of us have children like this. I don't have a processing speed score on my DD10 because she took the RIAS, but I also feel like she is a strange combo of lightning fast and distractably odd. I think it actually might be more a question of having a brain that just picks up on a lot of possibilities and can't help taking in a lot of information. I wonder if you asked this question in the non-2E section how many would say their child is like this? (My DS is less like it, though. BUT...he is less creative.)

ultramarina, I found this post from the recent posts and my DS has not been identified as 2e. I didn't even realize it was in the 2e forum...lol! I just noticed the difference in VCI and PSI, which is very similar to my boy's 70 pt spread.

A point of anecdata...

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Minx
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    It's interesting that so many of us have children like this. I don't have a processing speed score on my DD10 because she took the RIAS, but I also feel like she is a strange combo of lightning fast and distractably odd. I think it actually might be more a question of having a brain that just picks up on a lot of possibilities and can't help taking in a lot of information. I wonder if you asked this question in the non-2E section how many would say their child is like this? (My DS is less like it, though. BUT...he is less creative.)

ultramarina, I found this post from the recent posts and my DS has not been identified as 2e. I didn't even realize it was in the 2e forum...lol! I just noticed the difference in VCI and PSI, which is very similar to my boy's 70 pt spread.

A point of anecdata...

Ours hasn't been identified as 2e yet either; he may be, we just haven't tested him beyond the IQ.

Last edited by KADmom; 09/19/14 01:57 PM.
    Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My ds did not have any allergy mess at the time of his test.

We have decided to do an OT eval, as well as an eval with a developmental optometrist. From what I've read online, it seems coding problems are mostly fine motor, so we are going to rule that stuff out first.

Then we'll find an NP to discuss ADD, because at the end of the day, I do still see some in attention on a day to day basis.

The tester did not think the low score and large spread was anything to worry about, which I find odd. I have read that with a spread like that, they aren't supposed to report FSIQ?

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Amber
    My ds did not have any allergy mess at the time of his test.

We have decided to do an OT eval, as well as an eval with a developmental optometrist. From what I've read online, it seems coding problems are mostly fine motor, so we are going to rule that stuff out first.

Then we'll find an NP to discuss ADD, because at the end of the day, I do still see some in attention on a day to day basis.

The tester did not think the low score and large spread was anything to worry about, which I find odd. I have read that with a spread like that, they aren't supposed to report FSIQ?
    Sigh. I find it odd, too.

Yes. With a spread that large, the FSIQ should be reported only with caution, if at all.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Another thing I was thinking about the other day was his wj report said that he seemed to have problems following verbal directions in the fluency tests, and to write down instructions for him, yet coding and symbol search are visual? Perhaps these are just pointing to processing in general?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Well, the tasks are visual-motor, but the directions still involve words. And he has to convert the words into a visual-motor task, which is probably the sticking point. The fluency tasks (all around, both on WISC and WJ) are also relatively isolated--that is, without meaningful context--which is even less suitable for high-verbal kids. The only fluency task that generally favors verbal kids is oral word fluency, especially if the prompt is a semantic category.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    He did the worst on the oral fluency, though I would say he's strong with auditory information, he often plays songs by ear on the piano. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.
    Thank you for explaining all of this stuff!

I
    I
    Amber, My son has very very similar scores. He also got a 3 for coding and a 6 on symbol search. Not sure if this is helpful to you but he was ultimately diagnosed with dysgraphia (it's moderate to severe), motor apraxia (dyspraxia, developmental coordination disorder)and a (and I forget exactly how this was worded) processing disability. He has been fine with math facts both addition and multiplication but those scores are always lower considering his iq and other scores such a math concepts, etc. He has a scribe at school and tyoes much of his work. he gets extra time for tests. He is thriving and doing well with accommodations.

Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Amber, My son has very very similar scores. He also got a 3 for coding and a 6 on symbol search. Not sure if this is helpful to you but he was ultimately diagnosed with dysgraphia (it's moderate to severe), motor apraxia (dyspraxia, developmental coordination disorder)and a (and I forget exactly how this was worded) processing disability. He has been fine with math facts both addition and multiplication but those scores are always lower considering his iq and other scores such a math concepts, etc. He has a scribe at school and tyoes much of his work. he gets extra time for tests. He is thriving and doing well with accommodations.

Thank you for your reply! It's encouraging to hear your ds is doing well with accommodations! Dysgraphia or some sort of fine motor disability is probably what we are dealing with.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM