Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    DS6 feels it is wrong to kill a bug for fun. He has no problem with his insect eating pets killing bugs. He has no problem fishing and eating his catch. He isn't a vegetarian. He has a HUGE problem with squishing bugs for fun. He will get outraged and start crying if a kid does this in front of him AND people act like it is fine.

How do I deal with this?

Today a kid did this on purpose to get him upset. DS told on him. The kid said the ant bit him. DS says he was lying because he saw the ant and it was crawling with its head up. DS started crying and had to sit out at recess.

This is a pretty close transcript of our conversation - mind you I don't have all the answers and probably mess up a lot. And I was driving. In traffic.

Me: Use words next time.
    Three second silence
    DS: Fine. Since no one was there to see the ant NOT bite him, I'll just say he kicked me. I'll scream and hold my leg. I'll lie right back at him and at least he'll get punished even if it is for something different.

Me: Not exactly what I had in mind. You know lying is wrong.

DS: Well, killing innocent creatures is worse.

Me: glare

DS: Fine, I want to go to a different school.

Me: Why?

DS: I want to go to a school that will punish kids who kill innocent creatures for fun. I can't continue to see this happen. It is horrible.

Me: The world is full of jerks, you can't avoid them.

DS: I said new school, not new planet.

Me: Maybe you could talk to your teachers about how upset it makes you. I get why it bothers you and I am glad you feel this way but freaking out doesn't help you make a point. It makes people think you are a baby. You have to hold it together when you get sad and angry or all people see and hear is a crying six year old.

Ugh. Feeling bad about this and not sure what to do. People squish bugs. I get why he does not like it but geez it can't be a deal breaker. Am I being insensitive? If I were a PETA mom, I'd be all over his sensitivity.

Thoughts?

Last edited by KJP; 09/11/14 09:04 PM.
    LAF Offline
    I STILL hate it when people squish bugs. Bugs have a right to live just like humans do. But I am a beekeeper, so that's part of it. I do have an understanding that people have instinctual reactions, but I don't like it and think they could work harder to push back against it. All spiders get a safe pass outside in my house.

I remember my father had ants that would come right into his kitchen for water, and he would never harm them, he just said they aren't hurting anyone...

I also know a mom who actually pulled her kid out of a school when someone killed a praying mantis in front of her son (who felt the same way) and the school did not even talk to the bug killer. She felt that the school was not teaching compassion for other species, and she valued her son's sensitivity and did not want it destroyed by a school that did not teach kindness to animals.

So I would tell him his feelings are valid and that people can be cruel and stupid. In my opinion your son is in the right. Don't teach him that it's okay for people to be cruel to animals and insects, we need more people to stick up for them. I am not a vegetarian, but I subscribe to Temple Grandin's view that nature is cruel, but we don't have to be.

And I think someone from the school should have talked to the kid who killed the bug out of spite, to hurt your child's feelings. Yes they are six, but they are not too young to learn to respect another child's feelings.

Val Offline
    I'm with LAF --- completely.

I'd only add that you might want have a conversation like this one in a low-stress environment where your attention won't be divided.

I
    I
    Agreed. Great parental pep talk from KJP, great thoughts and advice from LAF and others.

I'll just add one additional point for consideration. Although the ant is not a mammal, the element of killing it to get a reaction brings to mind that childhood cruelty to animals may be an early warning for later trouble. This article mentions possible motivations including "a vehicle for emotional abuse" (bullying/intimidation), and a desire to "alleviate boredom or achieve a sense of control."

Possibly these manipulative aspects of the perpetrator's behavior, underscored with lying to play the victim, made the situation more chilling. While these things may go unobserved by many or go over other heads without being thought about or processed, possibly an awareness of the power gained dishonestly by this kid through manipulation caused your son to feel disempowered, provoking the tears?

Observations which trigger thoughts/feelings beyond one's vocabulary to express them, may be overwhelming and lead to frustration/tears. Gaining the ability to express the ideas/feelings may help avoid tears in similar future situations. If this may apply with your son, you may wish to have conversations about things such as level of awareness, one's own thinking, possible motives of others in an interaction, differing values/ethics, and who is benefitting at different levels in a situation. To all outward appearances it looks like the other kid "won", but possibly took a hit interiorly in his conscience or character development or karma.

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I am really proud of how compassionate he is. It isn't that I don't appreciate his feelings, I just want to help him handle these situations better.

We catch and release insects in our house and I am glad he isn't the type of kid that enjoys killing things.

I want to give him some ideas on how to handle it in the future. I don't think a crying fit helps his case.

I did get a chance to talk about it before bed. He has come up with an interesting plan. He is going to hit up his older buddy who is a talented scary story writer to collaborate on a story about a boy who enjoys killing bugs and ends up being haunted and driven crazy by the ghosts of the bugs he killed. He hopes to scare the bug squisher into stopping.

H
    H
    One thing we often stress with DC is that often other kids do things & say things etc, in order to get a reaction out of you for their own entertainment. I feel like this is probably what happened in the situation you described.

Maybe you could role play and teach your child to say something like, "It really bothers me that you kill bugs for fun. They have a right to live." Or something like that. Then have him walk away.

Last edited by howdy; 09/12/14 06:23 AM.
    LAF Offline
    mon introduces an interesting point. Show him how to turn a crisis where he feels victimized into a way to empower. That's a powerful lesson and one that creates a lot of good in the world. Looks like he's on his way with the book idea.

Also, every kid can have a bad day, and he's six, crying at six isn't unheard of in fact it's still pretty age appropriate. Especially when someone goes out of their way to hurt you by killing what he considered an innocent bystander, and then getting away with it by lying. It feels patently unfair and I can empathize. One of the things that drove me crazy as a child was people who behaved in such an uncivilized way, they weren't playing by the/my rules - and I needed them to play by the rules to feel safe.

That said, going back to his age, lots of kids in my DDs class last year cried at times, boys and girls. Don't forget he's only six.

C
    C
    I feel like there are rules (in my head) for relocation, rules for extermination, rules for prevention, and rules for coexisting.

Gosh darn fire ants crawling all over me and biting me sure as heck fall into the smash 'me dead category and relocate myself so I am not standing in their mound or in their path. Mosquitoes are a health issue...they get swatted even if they aren't biting me at the time because they will in the near future.

Other situations call for different responses...and I don't take glee in how I respond. But I am an adult and I try to teach my kids or other kids I supervise how to matter a of factly respond and how to decide what to do.

C
    C
    If the bugs are in the house it is open season. Outside the house we kill in self defense only and try to avoid hats/helmets that make the kids look like giant bee-magnet flowers.

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Well apparently things have worked themselves out. He established a no kill rule with the nature loving playground monitor/teacher. He has also brought an older tougher kid over to a Team Instect who is acting as an enforcer of the no kill rule.

To address the public/playground outcry over not killing offensive or biting insects, DS has offered the well received solution of "capture and put in his lunchbox". He then will feed all captured insects to his pets. Everyone is happy with this plan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM