Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    apm221 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I've posted here before about how my DS had severe delays but has made a lot of progress. I've been concerned that some things were difficult for him, though, and I think it's getting clearer what those are. He is 7 and in first grade.

His teacher told me today he had misbehaved badly. Apparently he wouldn't explain why he didn't complete a worksheet. I asked him why he didn't do it. He says that she writes on the board and he is supposed to copy it but can't keep up. He said he usually starts before she does so he can finish it even though he is supposed to wait. He also says he has trouble understanding what she says when everyone is talking, so it is hard to respond to her questions.

This seems to make a lot of sense in explaining his problems and he has a history of difficulty with handwriting (he has had OT for it).

So I need to figure out now what to ask them for so he doesn't get in trouble for having difficulty. I have called his OT to get advice about his writing and am going to contact his audiologist tomorrow. It seems to me that he just needs more time to write and for the teacher to give him a chance to understand what she says.

Does anyone have other suggestions for things that might help?

Last edited by apm221; 09/10/14 03:00 PM.
    D
    D
    How old is he, APM, and what grade?

A
    apm221 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I added that to my post. I should have remembered to so that before!

D
    D
    When was the last time (if ever) that he had a workup by a neuropsychologist? And a very thorough vision exam? I'd want to do those...

Hi Apm221,

Your post caught my eye. We are going through a few things with DS6 right now. I just saw this on Youtube, maybe there is a way his teacher can see this?

Also this was incredibly helpful to us - we just saw this last night as well and I already had DS try some of the things at home and he unfortunately appears to have Dyspraxia - although we are waiting for neuropsych eval at the moment.

Hope this helps,

2xLucky

Mom to 2E DD1989 and homeschooling DS2008
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    When was the last time (if ever) that he had a workup by a neuropsychologist? And a very thorough vision exam? I'd want to do those...

& audiology

P
    P
    Originally Posted by geofizz
    Originally Posted by DeeDee

& audiology

I second each of these suggestions, and would prioritize the neuropsych eval.

The other thing I'd do is ask for some informal accommodations through his teacher - can he be seated up front, close to the board? If so, does that help with the copying from the board issue? Or with hearing the teacher? Can he try wearing ear plugs or headphones to see if they help drown out the background noise?

In the meantime, think back over his early development as well as school experiences and list anything that seems a bit "off" or challenging for him. Also make a list of all the things you are concerned or wondering about.

And… you can also request an eval through the school. It's been my experience (which is very limited, and at a difficult-to-deal with school) that the private neuropsych eval is much more thorough and useful than the school eval so I would pursue it first. However, if you find an issue that requires remediation or accommodations at school, you'll eventually go through a school eval anyway, so you could go ahead and start the request now. What to do re where you start first (school vs private vs pursuing both at the same time) is such an individual decision I can't really help with it - but fwiw, it's worth considering time frames for appointments etc in your area, private resources vs public school resources, willingness of the public schools to provide thorough evals, etc and then decide which direction to proceed.

Best wishes,

polarbear

A
    apm221 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I appreciate the suggestions. I'm waiting to hear from his audiologist, but his occupational therapist is going to do an evaluation to see how he is doing. I talked with her about the fact that the school says no evaluation is needed because he wouldn't qualify for anything because he is working above grade level. She thinks that's probably true for this district and that we would probably be able to get 504 accommodations at most. I think trying to get a school eval would be an exercise in frustration under the circumstances (everyone I have asked says it is pointless because of his academic level, even though technically he should still be eligible).

He has been evaluated extensively, most recently last summer, but we had been planning all along to do more this fall.

I'm not feeling confident we will be able to get much even if he does qualify for a 504.

The audiologist told me before that he needed to be 8 before he could have more extensive testing there.

How do the ear plugs work?

Last edited by apm221; 09/11/14 04:20 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM