Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    I don't know where the paper can be freely accessed. Looking at the last sentence of the abstract, I wonder if the real answer is to bring back ability grouping for all students.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w20453
    Does Gifted Education Work? For Which Students?
    David Card, Laura Giuliano
    NBER Working Paper No. 20453
    Issued in September 2014
    Abstract:
    Education policy makers have struggled for decades with the question
    of how to best serve high ability K‐12 students. As in the debate
    over selective college admissions, a key issue is targeting. Should
    gifted and talented programs be allocated on the basis of cognitive
    ability, or a broader combination of ability and achievement? Should
    there be a single admission threshold, or a lower bar for
    disadvantaged students? We use data from a large urban school
    district to study the impacts of assignment to separate gifted
    classrooms on three distinct groups of fourth grade students:
    non-disadvantaged students with IQ scores ≥130; subsidized lunch
    participants and English language learners with IQ scores ≥116; and
    students who miss the IQ thresholds but scored highest among their
    school/grade cohort in state-wide achievement tests in the previous
    year. Regression discontinuity estimates based on the IQ thresholds
    for the first two groups show no effects on reading or math
    achievement at the end of fourth grade. In contrast, estimates based
    on test score ranks for the third group show significant gains in
    reading and math, concentrated among lower-income and black and
    Hispanic students. The math gains persist to fifth grade and are
    also reflected in fifth grade science scores. Our findings suggest
    that a separate classroom environment is more effective for students
    selected on past achievement - particularly disadvantaged students
    who are often excluded from gifted and talented programs.

The fact that this paper is behind a pay wall prompted me ask the following quesion.

I often see this at 'pay walls' for research papers:-

Information about Free Papers
    You should expect a free download if you are a subscriber, a corporate associate of the NBER, a journalist, an employee of the U.S. federal government with a ".GOV" domain name, or a resident of nearly any developing country or transition economy.

We have a collection or highly gifted people on this site, some of whom are no doubt very well positioned in US society. Why can a federal employee access this but not a US tax paying US resident?

What is the rational behind this?

This question does have relevance to GT education because I find a lot of useful research papers just out of reach due to pay walls with the above blurb.

Last edited by madeinuk; 09/08/14 05:43 AM.

Become what you are
    An ordinary taxpaying US resident CAN acquire a copy, for $5. The rationale is that the anti-tax cohort have, in many cases, succeeded in substituting point of sale models financing/supplementing select government functions, where that's possible.

Z
    Z

I
    I
    three distinct groups of fourth grade students:
    1) non-disadvantaged students with IQ scores >= 130;
    2) subsidized lunch participants and English language learners with IQ scores >=116;
    3) and students who miss the IQ thresholds but scored highest among their school/grade cohort in state-wide achievement tests in the previous year.
    estimates based on test score ranks for the third group show significant gains in reading and math
    (emphasis added)
    Some may conclude that those who are selected into a program based on testing well, continue to test well.

From reading through the study (preliminary draft dated March 2014, hat tip to Zen for the link) some may say that the "treatment" offered in the study was more in tune with the needs of the cohort of high achievers of average IQ, hence the greater gains in achievement for that cohort of pupils.

This may be a valuable finding with several practical applications for education, including:
    1) Encouragement for replicating the classroom practices from the study, so that more schools support the ongoing academic achievement for high-achieving students of average IQ. Many general education programs may not currently be meeting the needs of high-achieving students of average IQ, therefore general education programs may benefit from these reforms.
    2) Underscoring the need to design/develop/implement classroom practices which acknowledge and serve the needs of gifted students, in order to support gains in academic achievement for this overlooked, underserved group.

These findings may be different than concluding that gifted education programs ought to target, select, and serve primarily high-achieving students of average IQ, based on observing that this cohort has benefitted the most from the classroom practices in this study.

T
    T
    Okay, read Most of the study.
    First off, they state that all students cover the same curriculum and take the same statewide tests.
    This is a pet peeve of mine: it has been established again and again that if you want a study to show that congregated classrooms lead to higher achievement gains for high ability students, teach them an accelerated curriculum and test them on that. If you want to show that mixed ability classrooms don't harm them, teach a standard curriculum and test that.
    If the kid is nit challenged or engaged by the curriculum, it doesn't matter for their achievement what kind of classroom they are in (student satisfaction may be higher, though).
    Further down, my knowledge of statistics isn't good enough to understand most of what they've been doing, but these numbers scream at me loudly and clearly:
    There was a gifted classroom established in every school where at least one child was identified as gifted for that year. Usually there were no more than three or four. After which the classrooms were filled with another 15 or 20 of the non-gifted top achievers, whose achievement scores, naturally, were higher than predicted by their ability scores.
    I fail to see why that would be called a gifted program at all - teaching a standard curriculum to a classroom full of above average motivated high achievers, with a couple gifties thrown in - of course this is a program that's perfect for the high achievers, but why would gifties thrive?

Edited to add that it appears (I only skimmed that section) that whereas high achievers moved from classrooms with average peers to strong peers. hat placed gifted kids moved from classrooms with strong peers achievement wise (due to being found disproportionately in high SES schools) with (possibly) some individual attention into classrooms with somewhat stronger peers with (presumably) no more individual attention.

So moving from one unsuitable environment to another. Why would that not be helpful...

Last edited by Tigerle; 09/08/14 10:41 AM.
    If you take a non-disadvantaged student with IQ GE 130, enrolled in 4th grade, and give them a standardized test on 4th-grade material, then you can expect them to score in the 95th percentile or higher when no gifted services are being offered. If offered, there isn't much growth to be gained, according to this particular measure. So, where are the gains to be noted for this cohort?

The gains are to be noted when age is factored in, and you find that the student is 7 or 8 years old. The gains are to be noted when tested on material at 5th-grade level or higher.

I think that the authors of this paper have a very Lilliputian view of how high achievement can get with gifted people, especially gifted kids.

It ought to be obvious to the authors ( but clearly isn't ), that if the ceiling is too low and the starting value is close to it ( pretty well at it given margins of error and EF at that age) then one isn't going to observe a large positive delta because there just isn't the head room.

Last edited by madeinuk; 09/10/14 04:32 AM.

Become what you are
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    A summary of this paper is now available:

Who Benefits from Education for the Gifted?
    In Does Gifted Education Work? For Which Students? (NBER Working Paper No. 20453), David Card and Laura Giuliano report that full-time classes set up for gifted students don't raise the achievement of gifted students, but have large positive effects on non-gifted high achievers in those classes - especially on the reading and math scores of low-income high achievers. The authors conclude that establishing "a separate classroom in every school for the top-performing students could significantly boost the performance of [these] students in even the poorest neighborhoods," without harming other students or increasing school budgets.

Perhaps I shouldn't have but I stopped reading and dismissed the whole thing as anti-gifted propaganda once I noticed that the y axes were quite drasticly misaligned between the left and the right graphs...

Become what you are

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM