Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    H
    howdy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    If your child has skipped a grade, how do you deal with questions about why they were skipped, or comments that they "belong" in the lower grade instead.

My child is dealing with these comments at school and I have had a few questions from parents as well, and anticipate more at the beginning of the year parent meetings and so on.

I try to change the subject if possible.

Thanks so much in advance.

I've never found a particularly "good" way of dealing with this-- and it never really seems to go away, honestly. The thing that I've learned about this over the years, though, is that Haters Gonna Hate. What I mean is that there IS no convincing some people, and it's a whole lot more about their baggage than about anything regarding you or your child.

It's taken a long time, but DD15 realizes that now. She has come to view this as a rather convenient litmus test for "people that I might want to be friends with" and she runs everyone through it. If they can't handle the fact that, yeah, she really IS "like that" then she and they probably don't have a lot of common ground.

As for fending off questions, I've found that a simple statement of grade (if it's a classmate expectation) or of age (if it's an agemate expectation)-- never BOTH-- is usually sufficient, and for those who are nosier than that, I turn it around;

Why do you ask?

I'm polite enough, of course-- but genuinely puzzled as to why my child's academics (or birth date, for that matter) are so fascinating to someone who barely knows us.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    DD was accelerated one grade and I always found it strange how no one seemed all that interested (as in, the other parents). Maybe because she was in kindergarten when we did it and she didn't have really good friends/connections at that point anyway (or at least, I didn't have them with the other parents, she had just been to random birthday parties). The people in the next higher grade probably thought she came in from a different school. I really don't know. She looks roughly like the grade she is in, she's not THAT far off in terms of age. It's not like she's 8 in 7th grade, she's 8 and in 4th grade. Some of the smaller 4th graders are the same size. Now that she DOES have friendships/connections, I still don't think most people know she was accelerated. They probably wish her a happy birthday and think she's a year older than she is.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    We do what HK suggests. DADT.

One thing to keep in mind, too, is that this is really a temporary situation. Once your child hits puberty, it becomes much less noticeable, hence fewer questions about age-grade match. Of course, you then have to deal with the developmentally-inappropriate social encounters...

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    H
    howdy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    The one big complication is that one of the teachers must have done some whole class activity that involved their birth dates, so the whole class knows who is the youngest and we can't skirt the question that way.

"Why do you ask?" is so much nicer than what I want to say.

Thanks for the ideas.

We somehow don't seem able to avoid it. Adults seem to think it's the go-to conversation starter with a six-year-old.

H
    howdy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    We somehow don't seem able to avoid it. Adults seem to think it's the go-to conversation starter with a six-year-old.

It makes my kid uncomfortable. I have said to say, "I'd rather not talk about it." to aduts that pry.

Z
    Z
    "He's nuts about math."
    and
    "The sooner he gets rich, the sooner I can retire."
    and
    "I'm not sure, but it has something do with his plans to take over the world."

But we've never really encountered nosy doubters. I'm pretty sure if I do, the first reaction will be to stare intently at them like antennae have sprouted from their head.

E
    E
    I have told my daughter that when an adult asks, "What grade are you in?" it's really a more polite way of asking "How old are you?" In her case, it was to explain that this question really doesn't require, "I'm in 5th grade in the GESP program, so I'm doing 6th grade work," as an answer - just "5th grade" is fine, unless they are actually talking about school. If the question is asked in response to her talking about a school project or something, then she can explain, but otherwise, she doesn't need to.

In the case of your six-year-old, you can ask him to do it like this:
    Adult: What grade are you in?
    Child: 2nd grade, but I'm six.
    Adult: Wow, really? Why are you so young for your grade?
    Child: I dunno, my parents thought it was a good idea. We have a pet frog in my classroom! (or any subject change he wants, really)

He answers the part the adult actually was probably asking, deflects the nosy question to you, and changes the subject. If the adult drops him and starts asking you about it, you can either talk about acceleration, or glance meaningfully at your son and pointedly change the subject.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by howdy
    If your child has skipped a grade, how do you deal with questions about why they were skipped, or comments that they "belong" in the lower grade instead.

My child is dealing with these comments at school and I have had a few questions from parents as well, and anticipate more at the beginning of the year parent meetings and so on.

You may wish to provide (and enlist the aid of the classroom teacher in also providing) a simple and straightforward response about the right fit, similar to what is described in this article "The Right Fit" by Tamara Fisher, author of Unwrapping the Gifted, blog for Education Week, two years ago today on September 6, 2012:
    ... she had overheard some of the 5th graders making comments as they entered the room about "what are 4th graders doing here?" (I had warned the boys that this might happen and told them the novelty of their presence would wear off after a week or two and to just shrug off those comments matter-of-factly in the meantime.) The teacher said she told the whole class, "They are exactly the same as you mathematically. This is where they need to be, just as this is where you need to be. End of story." And it was.
    Emphasis added.

We most often find the curiosity we encounter to be a healthy curiosity.

Some inquiries may arise from families having encountered roadblocks or suffering from a dirth of information, possibly leading to a lack of opportunity, such as experiencing withholding of services, mentioned in this article from the same blog "What It Really Boils Down To". Questions which seem to be of this nature may be well addressed by deflecting with a truism that each child is unique, and mentioning a helpful resource such as Davidson Institute for Talent Development (including this forum), Hoagies' Gifted Education Page, Iowa Acceleration Scale, SENG, Great Potential Press, Prufrock Press.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM