Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Wren
    Isn't this stress talked about in David and Goliath, where you get a really hardworking MG, is top of her class at highly ranked high school, gets to Princeton and then has a breakdown.

If you have more of these than the PG student, like the nephew above who went to Yale. Compliant generally means MG, doesn't it? I thought MG were usually identified because they were really hardworking, teacher pleasing etc while the PG was bored and staring out the window.

I think these are stereotypes. LOG does not determine desire to please, nor is it required to be PG to make it through a demanding undergrad program successfully.

I have no doubt that the characterization above represents (often untrue) stereotypes which have more to do with personality than LOG.

However, the point IS well-made that statistics alone dictate that there are many, many more MG people applying to colleges than PG ones. Period.

Naturally, the elite institutions should (hypothetically) be much more interested in PG applicants (who have extraordinary potential) rather than MG ones (who have "merely" great potential-- poor choice of words, perhaps, but you all know what I mean there, I hope).

Since there is a perception of scarcity (slots available at top institutions) and value (that a seat at HYPS is very much better than one at Sacramento State), what's a MG student to do?

That's right-- work hard enough to at least appear plausibly HG+ on paper, and therefore... more RARE... and desirable.

Truly EG/PG students, I think, are not really the ones suffering for this development. I think it is MG students, for whom the bar of "acceptable" has been moved into HG performance territory, causing them and their parents anxiety and terror.

As someone else noted above-- it's not the students in the top whatever-it-is percent (locally, I'd estimate top 2%) who are panicking and running like caffeinated hamsters for all of high school-- it's the top 8-10% who are.

Of course, as I've stated before, the only (selfish) objection that I have to that is probably blatantly elitist on the face of it-- I don't think that the kids in the top 10%ile belong in some of the coursework that my kid (top percentile) belongs in and NEEDS-- and putting them there just means that my kid gets LESS of what she needs, because what she needs is incompatible with what the top tenth is capable of doing.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    I think the "bored PG student" problem is a real problem in some school settings, but much less so in high achieving school systems. Our school system is fairly easy through 8th grade, and becomes much harder in high school. I don't think my daughter is PG, but some of her friends clearly are. But everyone is challenged in high school.

Off topic, but Google's power can be a bit unnerving at times. I looked up "David and Goliath Princeton breakdown" on Google, and the sixth entry was Wren's post, and this was just 20 minutes after he posted it.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    As someone else noted above-- it's not the students in the top whatever-it-is percent (locally, I'd estimate top 2%) who are panicking and running like caffeinated hamsters for all of high school-- it's the top 8-10% who are.

What about the mad scramble within the top <0.5% for the elusive label of valedictorian?

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Dude
    What about the mad scramble within the top <0.5% for the elusive label of valedictorian?
    I've made it clear to my daughter that we don't care, even though she is likely in that group. Put in the effort, and let the results happen as they may.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Naturally, the elite institutions should (hypothetically) be much more interested in PG applicants (who have extraordinary potential) rather than MG ones (who have "merely" great potential-- poor choice of words, perhaps, but you all know what I mean there, I hope).

This assumes ability maps more or less directly to potential. Potential is arguably a cocktail of personality traits, chance, connections, ability, and other factors.

Perhaps a better question is: potential for what? If the goal is an Earth-shattering new physics theorem, then E[PG]-E[MG] is probably > 0, with sigma[PG] > sigma[MG] to reflect the potentially deleterious impact of OEs, PG polymath indecision, etc. The university's admissions motive will reflect its risk tolerance wrt sigma.

However, let's not forget that the primary MO of universities is self-preservation, not novel scholarship. Novel scholarship is certainly an input into institutional longevity, but it is a bought resource and is probably only reputationally important below a critical level. If MG candidates are, on average, more financially successful in industry, then favoring MG over PG candidates is rational from an endowment management perspective.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    And the PGs with the optimal combination of soft skills and temperament/character traits to produce institutionally-beneficial outcomes are also probably the most likely to make it through undergrad without TLC. Then you can purchase them at the post-graduate/post-doctorate/post-professional level, when they are already beginning to be proven commodities.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by aeh
    And the PGs with the optimal combination of soft skills and temperament/character traits to produce institutionally-beneficial outcomes are also probably the most likely to make it through undergrad without TLC. Then you can purchase them at the post-graduate/post-doctorate/post-professional level, when they are already beginning to be proven commodities.

Bingo.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by mithawk
    Off topic, but Google's power can be a bit unnerving at times. I looked up "David and Goliath Princeton breakdown" on Google, and the sixth entry was Wren's post, and this was just 20 minutes after he posted it.
    The results you get depend on your viewing habits.

Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by aeh

Bingo.

Way to diminish opportunity costs, by the way. Elegant solution. wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM