Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by it_is_2day
    Some kids it may be hard to tell until they are older, but almost anyone who carries on a conversation with my daughter for any length of time, or just watches her carefully will see that she sees the world extremely clearly.

I love this. Do you converse with typical 2.5 yo a lot? You may realize that not many of them actually carry on a conversation, let alone one in which they show how clearly they see the world.

I can only reiterate the suggestion of staying away from traditional preschool academics, and to try an create multi age environments for her as often as possible.

If you want to try to make traditional k - 12 school work, I am also a great fan of the "stealth acceleration" that is early entry. You may want to find out about your districts criteria for that one now, in case it turns out to be a lengthy process or you need to go the private school route.

B
    B
    Your daughter sounds like mine - poor sleeper, very active imagination and a flair for the dramatic wink I understand the fear of the possibility they may be extremely gifted. It's a lot to try and balance.

Z - 01/23/11 and O - 05/12/13
    A
    A
    I also fear my son will be lost in school and bored. We are going to try public school but we have a few private schools in mind, just in case.

M
    M
    Hello,

We, and other parents, here share your fears. Since DS 2.5 years was born, we haven't had a full night's sleep and spend our free time trying to find ways to channel his limitless energy and cater to his ever-changing needs and follow his passions until he exhausted the subject. We often feel as if we were never settled in a routine and that there was always a surprise lurking around the corner.
    After careful thought, we finally decided to take him out of daycare after 2 years of watching him lose it every morning because he doesn't want to go. He spends long days over there but once he gets home, he is hyperactive and only settles when we respond to his demands for mental stimulation (learning to read, add, learning about various subjects) He is loved by the other kids but remains a loner and prefers the company of a family friend who is 6 years old or my father who takes him to the museum every week. So we will try homeschooling a few months with his nanny who has a degree in education and see...We are looking at Montessori and other private schools for next year as simply playing all day does not seem to be enough (where we live, formal education starts much later).

I honestly dug my heels for a long time wanting my kid to be "normal" and have a " normal" education. Reading the posts in this forum really helped me see things in an alternative way and take that first step...welcome

A
    A
    Max's Mom, thank you for your post. Your son sounds like my son at preschool.
    You are correct. I want my son to have a normal education. I keep trying to think of ways to have him fit into the "mold". I am wrong. It's time for me to just go with the flow (as my hubs always says). We can try public school but if it doesn't work, we can try something else. He won't be damaged and I can be less stressed.
    I am going to try....

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Max's Mom
    Hello,

We, and other parents, here share your fears. Since DS 2.5 years was born, we haven't had a full night's sleep and spend our free time trying to find ways to channel his limitless energy and cater to his ever-changing needs and follow his passions until he exhausted the subject. We often feel as if we were never settled in a routine and that there was always a surprise lurking around the corner.

Yes it sounds like you have been living our life. Sleep, slowing down, and a break from surprises, nope not here. We have just got back from the park playing hide and go seek, and escaping from shark attacks, but we did see a bunch of mermaids, octopi, and sea cucumbers.

After careful thought, we finally decided to take him out of daycare after 2 years of watching him lose it every morning because he doesn't want to go.

As for right now it seems that she is okay with daycare. She does like to socialize. But, I do have some concerns:

1. One day she had a complete melt down about not wanting to go to school, and it scared me. We started her at 3 months, so she never had a bad case of separation anxiety reason for not wanting to go to daycare. This was something much different. She would not articulate why she did not want to go that day. I also see that she does get annoyed at daycare sometimes, but she knows that mom and dad work, and she understands the world well enough to know that she can not stay home or go to work with us. I wonder if she feels way out of place.

2. She has distinct dialects: When she talks to us or some other adults she uses well formed sentences. When she talks to older kids 4-7 she does a lot of screaming like "Oh, I know! We can go fill up this bucket! With water! and pour it down that drain and see what happens!" When she talks to 2 year olds she talks like other 2 year olds.
    Example: The other day when I was at daycare she was playing with this other toddler that was trying to get my attention pointing at a triangle saying "A Triangle!" dd with out missing a beat in the same type voice pointed at a bell saying "A bell!" They then kept it up for several moments pointing at objects and naming them. At that moment, I was not sure whether I should be proud of her for fitting in, or if I should be scared that she is already working to hide her abilities.

After some thought, I realized she really does like the social interaction, and she is friends with most of the kids. But, I can imagine that things will be very dynamic with her, and so I need to keep a close eye on her situation.

Last edited by it_is_2day; 08/30/14 09:58 AM.
    G
    GGG Offline
    G
    Our DS is now 3.5, this is exactly what 2.5 was like!
    Hello,

After careful thought, we finally decided to take him out of daycare after 2 years of watching him lose it every morning because he doesn't want to go. He spends long days over there but once he gets home, he is hyperactive and only settles when we respond to his demands for mental stimulation (learning to read, add, learning about various subjects) He is loved by the other kids but remains a loner and prefers the company of a family friend who is 6 years old or my father who takes him to the museum every week. So we will try homeschooling a few months with his nanny who has a degree in education and see...We are looking at Montessori and other private schools for next year as simply playing all day does not seem to be enough (where we live, formal education starts much later).

I honestly dug my heels for a long time wanting my kid to be "normal" and have a " normal" education. Reading the posts in this forum really helped me see things in an alternative way and take that first step...welcome

P
    P
    Originally Posted by it_is_2day
    Hello,

it may be she hears adults use different ways of talking with different ages or that she is a natural mimic. I wouldn't pay much attention to the odd not wanting to go day but keep a note in case there is a pattern or escalation. We all have days when the thougt of going to work makes us want to hide under the bed.
    Yes it sounds like you have been living our life. Sleep, slowing down, and a break from surprises, nope not here. We have just got back from the park playing hide and go seek, and escaping from shark attacks, but we did see a bunch of mermaids, octopi, and sea cucumbers.

After careful thought, we finally decided to take him out of daycare after 2 years of watching him lose it every morning because he doesn't want to go.

As for right now it seems that she is okay with daycare. She does like to socialize. But, I do have some concerns:

1. One day she had a complete melt down about not wanting to go to school, and it scared me. We started her at 3 months, so she never had a bad case of separation anxiety reason for not wanting to go to daycare. This was something much different. She would not articulate why she did not want to go that day. I also see that she does get annoyed at daycare sometimes, but she knows that mom and dad work, and she understands the world well enough to know that she can not stay home or go to work with us. I wonder if she feels way out of place.

2. She has distinct dialects: When she talks to us or some other adults she uses well formed sentences. When she talks to older kids 4-7 she does a lot of screaming like "Oh, I know! We can go fill up this bucket! With water! and pour it down that drain and see what happens!" When she talks to 2 year olds she talks like other 2 year olds.
    Example: The other day when I was at daycare she was playing with this other toddler that was trying to get my attention pointing at a triangle saying "A Triangle!" dd with out missing a beat in the same type voice pointed at a bell saying "A bell!" They then kept it up for several moments pointing at objects and naming them. At that moment, I was not sure whether I should be proud of her for fitting in, or if I should be scared that she is already working to hide her abilities.

After some thought, I realized she really does like the social interaction, and she is friends with most of the kids. But, I can imagine that things will be very dynamic with her, and so I need to keep a close eye on her situation.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    I want to thank everyone who posted in response.

K
    K
    Welcome smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM