Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    2 members (jenjunpr, aeh), 161 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Do you think that the test was scored/administered accurately, then, and the lower numbers really are indicative of her true score? Because I still can't grasp why, at the very least, the four sections that parallel the WASI wouldn't have been fairly equivalent to her WASI scores of 136/129.

If she does have these deficits, are they treatable?

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    I don't see any evidence that suggests the test is invalid, but that doesn't mean the results are necessarily indicative of her true ability. I think what you may be looking at is a 2e situation, where some of her gifted-type traits are being masked by her (I'm guessing) executive dysfunction-type traits, whether the latter is ADHD, disinhibition, or possibly another dx, like NVLD or ASD. (Obviously, I can't diagnose her over the internet. ) And vice versa.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    Oh, and yes, she can learn compensatory strategies for her relative weaknesses, like all functioning adults eventually do. She may just need more explicit instruction in reading social cues and self-monitoring. Fluency, unfortunately, comes only by practice, but she can certainly improve there too.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Update: I met today with her regular psychologist, who had reviewed all the papers. She spoke with a colleague who is a supervisor in the university program that provided the testing, and he thought the evaluator was just inexperienced enough not to see the "gray" areas in her responses. She feels that ADHD is as much on the table as GAD, and agrees that her abilities are masking the symptoms on the VAI.

We are going to wait and see how she does with more cognitive therapy for social and attention skills, and be ready to jump into more testing when we have a better idea what's working and what's not.

Thank you so much for all your help.

B
    B
    DD8 has ADHD and also had processing issues. It's not necessarily obvious in a 1 on 1 situation like an IQ test. There is a person right there keeping the child focused and on task. DD's main problem in the classroom is all the distractions and activity. The difference between her processing speed and GAI on the WISC was something like 60 points. Which in many/most cases is probably not normal. She also has problems with math fluency and remembering the math facts. If you ask what is 9+5 she may very well give you a blank stare for a few seconds even though it's not a hard question. Her working memory was fine, 96th percentile I think so those are two different issues. Some neuropsychs do computerized testing for ADHD which you could look into. It seems more objective to me than someone's random observations. It measures how long a child can sustain attention and how impulsive they are. DS had this testing and he tended to slow way down in his responses after a while, indicating possible inattentive ADHD. Since medication has been so helpful with DD we are doing a trial of meds with DS as well. If they don't help much or at all, then I will assume his issue is something other than ADHD.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM