Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    22B Offline
    What happens if you just declare that your daughter is not going to do any pointless busywork.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by 22B
    What happens if you just declare that your daughter is not going to do any pointless busywork.

That's what I feel like doing. She's already almost done with the 4th grade EM workbook I bought her and we could just continue to do that instead. The problem is that if they actually do go over these problems in class dd will probably feel uncomfortable if she doesn't have hers.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Would getting achievement testing be helpful at this point?

B
    B
    Can you send in the work that she did last year rather than having her do it over again? I sympathize with your plight. DS's teacher last year (before we took him out of the school) kept sending home completely pointless homework with problems like 5+2 when DS already knew how to divide and multiply. She knew how advanced he was but did nothing about it. Finally I wrote a nice note saying that DS would no longer be doing the math homework and that I would find "substitute" homework at the correct level and send it in instead. I was very nice and put a smiley in my note and said that I hope she understands. She couldn't really do anything about it, it's not like they can force a first grader to complete homework. She wrote back and said something like "fine, we'll do it your way" but I think that's when she developed a major attitude about us and wouldn't help us with other things, like DS's IEP (she wouldn't even follow his IEP). If there is nothing else you need from her, then it doesn't really matter, I guess. DS had a bunch of other issues.

If she ignored the MAP results she will probably ignore achievement testing as well. Either people care or they don't, and it doesn't sound like she's interested. Some of the brighter teachers actually use data from tests like MAP to plan instruction, including instruction for the higher kids. The test DS takes breaks it down into specific skills that need to be taught and his teacher (after we changed schools) used that data to give him assignments. Others (like DD's teachers) seem to only care about the overall percentiles and if a kid is above the 20th percentile they check them off their list and ignore the kid, after all the kid is doing well and will probably pass the state test.

Q
    Q
    I think that the first and really only priority is to preserve a love of math. I definitely would not sweat the grades (it's 3rd grade) and I would give your DD some say in how she wants to handle things. Let her decide whether to do the EM homework or not. Let her decide whether she wants to slow down and read carefully to pass the Ten Marks assessments or not. For what it is worth, my children tried Ten Marks over the summers and did say that it can be tricky initially because you have to read carefully and answer as requested. They have also tried (mostly through school) various other online programs including Study Island, FirstInMath (MathFirst?), ALEKS, MathHelp, Khan Academy and thought that Ten Marks seem slightly "harder" for a given level.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM