Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum to ask... would anyone share your experience with the CTY grand ceremony? From what we got it looks like there will be a campus tour besides the actual ceremony. I think it's probably a great way to boost the kids' confidence. Other benefits? I'm asking because we thought we might go, then realize that there will be a local event on the same weekend which is also quite interesting... Thanks in advance for sharing.

M
    M
    I think it really depends on what your child wants. Our younger son attended a few years ago with his godmother (our oldest was graduating from college that day, so we couldn't attend). The ceremony itself was (according to his godmother) probably similar to the graduation we attended-long, boring, lots of names... So, if you're expecting to be entertained, you probably won't be. Ds liked the student presentations, but the main speaker was a topic/level that was not engaging for him (reproductive oncology/focus on girls in science). That said, we will be there on the 6th with our other son, who actually chose this over a HS sporting event. Dh can't seem to understand it (the state ceremony last week was very lame, and ds is good at the sport) but honestly, I get it. Younger ds came home beaming from the NW ceremony, and older ds seemed happy after the incredibly boring state ceremony. I think they just enjoyed being recognized. They enjoyed being in a room with other smart kids. They enjoyed being able to talk about their accomplishment (or just know that other people knew). Ds14 does sports and music, and people seem eager to pat him on the back for those, ask him questions, etc... It's not the same for academics. He knows that it is just one test, but I think he also knows (because he didn't prep) that it is a reflection of years of reading, studying diverse topics, taking an interest in so many things. Ds and I have both repeatedly heard, "we have sooo many smart/gifted kids here" from those in the schools/district, and he is well aware it would be impolitic to suggest anything different. So, I do think that the program looks interesting, and as a HS freshman, I think he'll get more out of visiting the campus, but mainly, our goal is to just enjoy getting to focus on a side of him that isn't often celebrated.
    I'm not sure if my reply provided any real information, but if you haven't had a chance to celebrate your child's academics, it might be worth it. smile

P
    OP Offline
    P
    momtofour: definitely helpful! Thanks very much. I'm not really interested in going since it sounds to me like just a campus tour and a meeting where each kid is called to stage to get a medal or something. And my son doesn't care about biology so the talk is probably not that useful to him. Plus traveling is a hassle. But he wants to go just because it's neat. In terms of academic recognition, he didn't get much (if any) in the past; but this past year he's got lots of recognition. :-)

M
    M
    Originally Posted by playandlearn
    And my son doesn't care about biology so the talk is probably not that useful to him. Plus traveling is a hassle.

Well, if it's any consolation, this year's talk sounds pretty cool-it's about geoarcheaology, cave-diving, etc... dh used to do a lot of scuba diving (before four kids took up all our time and money!) so I'm hoping he will find it more interesting than the state ceremony. And the medal is nice, so I guess it will be a nice keepsake. We are lucky in that we don't live that far-maybe an hour-so it won't be too much of a hassle. Safe travels. smile

N
    N
    Momtofour, are the student presentations worthwhile for the attendees?

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks again, momtofour. I guess our default is still going--if just because my son won't get the opportunity ever again. :-)

M
    M
    Originally Posted by NotherBen
    Momtofour, are the student presentations worthwhile for the attendees?

My younger son doesn't remember much about them, but it's been two years (and I wasn't there). At the time, he seemed to think they were cool. I guess part of it depends on whether his interests fit in well with what the student talks are about. They do say interactive this year, so maybe they are trying to make them interesting?? If you haven't seen the list, it's:

Interactive Presentations:
    Tiffany Chang is a senior at Northwestern University majoring in Biological Sciences and minoring in
    Global Health Studies and Asian American Studies. Having always been interested in the human
    body and international travel, she hopes to pursue a career in the health professions and work both
    domestically and abroad. On campus, she has held roles in various community service organizations
    and mentoring freshmen.
    David Chi is a rising senior at Northwestern studying Communication Sciences and Disorders,
    Biology, and Global Health Studies. On campus, he plays in one of Northwestern’s orchestras, serves
    as a residential assistant, and is on the executive board of Mayfest, a student group that programs a
    variety of large- and small-scale student events in spring. In his free time, he loves playing cello and
    piano, running, scuba diving, snowboarding, exploring the city, going to concerts, and DJing.
    Connor Joseph Tatooles is also a rising senior at Northwestern majoring in Economics and
    American Studies. He explores economics from a historical perspective as well as from a current
    U.S./international relations viewpoint. He is multi-lingual, speaking English, Spanish, and Chinese.
    He will be pursuing departmental honors this year and completing a thesis on U.S./China relations.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM