Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
    Dazey, that's doing it the hard way! ((hugs)) It must have been a heck of a roller coaster.

#19951 07/12/08 09:26 PM
    Sorry I missed you, kcab. It was slow, so I surfed the 'Net instead of hanging out. Now I should be asleep, too...

Kriston
    Hey, kcab. Thanks for posting. I was watching a movie with DH. Hypnobirth sounds interesting. I could have used some relaxation!

I'm glad most of the readers of this forum have already had children. I try not to tell my L&D stories to people who have not had children yet.

I was in labor with DD8 for almost 2 days. I had to have my cervix softened then had pitocin. Since I was not allowed any food or water for 2 days I was dehydrated and suffered from low blood sugar (I am hypoglycemic). I about came out of the bed when the nurse tried to put an IV in my dehydrated veins. Also, dd never dropped. I had to push her all the way. Fortunately, I only had to push for about 45 minutes to actually deliver. The doctor barely made it upstairs in time to catch the baby. Ironically, since I had an epidural from the beginning I never felt a full-blown contraction. Because I had such a long and difficult delivery, I had a slow and miserable recovery with some mild PPD.

An unexpected drawback to having a long labor is that I kept having visitors. I finally told my husband not to let anyone in. I was too miserable to be polite to people. With my second child I did not even tell anyone I went to the hospital until after I delivered.

My second dd was breach and we had my nice c-section scheduled. The day before my c-section I went in for my final check-up and my dd had turned. She is always full of surprises. The doctor was happy that I would be able to have a V delivery ... I just cried. cry

When I went into labor a few days later the nurses kept telling me that the second one was always easier. They were right. I was only in labor for about 20 hours and I recovered much faster. I did take time to have a good meal before going to the hospital the second time, which helped immensely. Although I did experience some full-blown contractions with my second, I didn't have to suffer through too many before the epidural came to the rescue. I admire those of you who could do it without drugs. I have too much aversion to pain.

Originally Posted by Texas Summer
    An unexpected drawback to having a long labor is that I kept having visitors. I finally told my husband not to let anyone in. I was too miserable to be polite to people.

Good lord! I can't imagine having visitors while in labor eek

Polite?! I would barely have been able to acknowledge their presence between the hee-hee's and hoo-hoo's.

Summer, I can't get over this "only 20 hours of labor" stuff! Yikes! My longest labor was 14 hours, and all my births were natural and went like clockwork. Almost makes up for nine months of morning sickness! I lost 12 pounds (10% of my weight) in the first trimester with Artemis- her pregnancy was the worst. Three year old Hector would sit beside me reading a big pile of books while I puked and napped, puked and napped...

I had a new doc for the last baby and he out me on anti-emetics. What a lifesaver!

acs Offline
    All these pregnancy horror stories reminded me of a conversation I had with DS back when he was about 8 or so. He had asked me some innocent question about pregnancy and I started telling him my stories. He seemed interested so I just kept talking about all places I had thrown up, bursting into tears for no reason, and what it felt like to have your skin pull off your ribs, etc etc. I had gotten carried away and I was definitely whining about it.

Then I realized I was talking to an 8 year old boy and that this might be upsetting. So I asked him, "How does hearing this make you feel?" And he replied, " Just really glad I'm not a girl, Mom."

Last edited by acs; 07/13/08 02:02 AM.
    acs #19961 07/13/08 05:42 AM
    OH I LOVE it acs! "Just really glad I'm not a girl, Mom."

The most frustrating thing...as you all know w/ HG+ kids, is the people who don't understand. I got the "Oh I wish I could lay around bed all day." "Oh it must be nice to lay in bed all day." There were the people who got it and would say "Aren't you going out of your mind?" Yes I was. I had a great career, was working 12hrs+/day, in a beautiful city, very active to laying down on my left side 24/7 only allowed to go to the toilet. Next time you have a friend on bedrest, bring sympathy and her favorite treat. 8-)

acs #19963 07/13/08 05:50 AM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    My favorite tidbits...

"visitors while in labor" -- Cathy A (I agree this would never have flown with me)

"puked and napped, puked and napped..."--Lorel (somehow this is a very graphic image--you poor thing! Didn't you have a lot of kids, too?)

"Just really glad I'm not a girl, Mom" --acs's son (wait till he learns about menstruation/PMS...or maybe he has...)

Last edited by cym; 07/13/08 05:50 AM.
    cym #19965 07/13/08 06:25 AM
    Yes, visitors in labor sounds like cruel and unusual punishment to me! eek Who are these people?

So, perhaps there's such a thing as being too well-liked!

Kriston
    Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM