Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #199508 08/28/14 07:36 AM
    N
    NCPMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    I'm a sometime poster here, and am always grateful for the advice offered here and on a local Facebook group I am in, so I thought I would share, just in case it can help anyone else.
    (Background - my son turned 11 in June, and last week started Middle School. He has been subject accelerated one year in math for a few years - so last year he was transported to the MS for math every day). He was placed in an 8th grade accelerated math class this year. Tuesday of this week (the 7th day of school), I got a call from the school counselor- aparently they were questioning whether he should be in this class. He hadn't handed homework in for a couple of days, and when questioned about it, there had been some tears. They were reviewing stuff that he should already have done, and it was obvious that he was struggling with keeping up. I told them that he had not, actually, done the work they were reviewing - but the counselor kept insisting that he HAD already done that work, and SHOULD already know it. The teachers couldn't spend time teaching him stuff, as the rest of the class were ready to move on. They were considering moving him to a different class.
    So - I wrote an e-mail to his math teacher, and, following some advice I had received in a FB group, carefully explained that a) He had been in a regular 6th grade math class last year, and b) he had NOT been attending the local gifted elementary school (where, I'm sure, they HAD done the 7th grade curriculum in 5th grade) c) he had never needed to be organised before, as he had rarely had homework to remember before.

The math teacher then called me - she had assumed that he had been in 6th grade accelerated (ie 7th grade curriculum), and that he had been at the gifted school. She assumed that he hadn't handed his homework in because he couldn't do it. On reading my e-mail, she realised that he had, therefore, actually skipped all of the 7th grade curriculum (yes, ma'am, I already I knew that).
    Once she knew that, as well as realising that he hadn't handed in his homework due to his total disorganisation, she was fine. Just fine. She said she was willing to help him out before/after school, and that he could also get help from his homeroom and/or study hall teachers. I told her we would also help at home, if needed, to help him catch up.
    The moral of this story - don't assume the teachers know your child's background. If you're a teacher - don't assume you DO know a childs background. smile

NCPMom #199510 08/28/14 08:42 AM
    B
    B
    I am glad you got that sorted out. And I hope he can catch up OK.

I never assume they know my child's background. I had a brand new resource teacher not know the background of her kids. Not the classroom teacher THE RESOURCE teacher, I turns around to find out she is coming into class to help my DD & the other kid in the class who had an IEP during math. NEITHER of them needed help in math, they needed help in language arts. It was just the slot of time she had in her schedule.

N
    NCPMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Update - today, one week later, his first grade was posted - and the kid got an "A". Not bad for a kid who they were thinking about moving out of the class wink

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM