Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    What would you do? Okay, I am thrown for a loop as I completely did not expect this. The question actually would apply to both DS and DD but so far I have only been approached by DS' teacher. At our middle school, band/orchestra is segregated by grade. Yes, I know - how retarded is that? There is also honor band and honor orchestra (requires the teacher's permission) as a club for 7th and 8th graders only (or so it is written). Anyhow, DS' teacher suggested that he joins the club and also works independently in the recording room during class time as an alternative to being bored to death sitting in class. I believe that the teacher suggested this because the school won't allow her to have classes based on ability rather than grade. However, now that she has offered this out of the blue, I am thinking that perhaps I should approach the administration for an "acceleration" instead?

G
    G
    Orchestra is not a core academic course, and will likely be seen by the administration as enrichment, so you will likely find you have less of a receptive audience to asking for an acceleration. If this middle school is like ours, then the grade-level music is a function of the all mighty schedule. Depending on your kids' needs, this wouldn't be where I'd spend my "advocacy capital." (I spend mine on math/science/disabilities, so music is great, but won't be the hill I die on, especially since they do have access to it, albeit not perfect)

Here, the way that a lot of students solve the music pace/level problem is to take up another instrument. Might your kids be interested in learning something new? I know a kid who takes up a different instrument every semester in band. She's still bored, but she's learning.

P
    P
    We have the same issue coming for DD9 who will start instrument program at school next fall (2015) and who already begged me to talk to the school to let her NOT be in the program. She already learns two instruments and is outstanding at both, and has no interest in picking up another instrument. I'm gathering my strength...

Have you asked your DS what he thinks of this?

There can be a benefit to self-study time. In fact, I just had a successful advocacy for it in my DD9's case - she's in a G/T pull-out for ELA, where among other things she journals every day, then comes back to homeroom briefly where her class was journaling every day, so I requested DD receive permission to use that time to work on homework from other classes instead. I figure, if DD has to be there for 7 hours a day, she should be able to use that time productively.

So, if your son wants to be in the band, but doesn't have anything to learn from the band class (and most importantly, your son's band teacher agrees), wouldn't having that time to practice on his own mean he doesn't have to practice at home? Could he also use that time to work on other school work if he wants? And wouldn't either or both of those activities during band leave him with more free time at home?

Sounds like it could be a pretty good deal to me.

B
    B
    That is a pain that your middle school is so rigid in their band placement. Could this be a scheduling issue? I would certainly take the music teacher up on her offer. Sounds like a reasonable idea, better than him being bored in class. I might try and push with the administration for a "acceleration" but I would probably talk with the teacher about it first.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    You are absolutely right that I would not want to get into a struggle over something like music class, particularly since I don't yet have any currency at this (new) school. A new instrument is actually a decent idea, but unfortunately, that would require special accommodations as well. In order to enroll in Band/Orchestra for a particular instrument, you need paper work to show that you played that instrument in school in 5th grade and your school music teacher recommends that you continue in middle school.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    It is possible that the instrumental music program is optional for 5th grade (I am assuming that she will be in 5th next fall based on her current age). Good luck.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    You are absolutely right that I would not want to get into a struggle over something like music class, particularly since I don't yet have any currency at this (new) school. A new instrument is actually a decent idea, but unfortunately, that would require special accommodations as well. In order to enroll in Band/Orchestra for a particular instrument, you need paper work to show that you played that instrument in school in 5th grade and your school music teacher recommends that you continue in middle school.
    Really??? How odd. In my son's school/band the middle school teacher encouraged the kids to try and new instrument and branch out. He had instruments they could borrow. This was partly because in elementary they were only allowed flute, clarinet, sax, trumpet, and trombone. And by High School they want a full range of instruments, oboe, tuba, french horn, etc..

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    DS is ambivalent, partly because he is shy about being recorded and he gets kind of lonely working alone. You are correct that there can be a benefit to self-study time and it's great that your DD can use the duplicate journaling time productively. In DS' case, he will have to work on his instrument on specific assigned music during class time in order to get credit for the course. It might reduce his at-home practice time a little but not much because he will still need to comply with the 2-hour weekly minimum on his logs and he wouldn't lie. It may end up working out well though so we will just have to see what DS decides.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I was surprised when the orchestra and band teachers volunteered that they tried without success to convince the administration that they would have better bands and orchestras if they weren't segregated by grades. Of course, it might be a scheduling issue but I don't know enough to determine that. I have decided to let DS drive this train so whatever he decides to do after trying out the classes a bit. The teacher also said that DS can help her by modeling the techniques, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM