Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 58 of 102 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 101 102
    L
    L
    While transporting a mattress in the minivan that's separating the two kids in the back, you jokingly ask your 2.5 year old if she can see her brother and, without missing a beat, she asks you to adjust the rear-view mirror.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by lilmisssunshine
    While transporting a mattress in the minivan that's separating the two kids in the back, you jokingly ask your 2.5 year old if she can see her brother and, without missing a beat, she asks you to adjust the rear-view mirror.

That is awesome!

LAF Offline
    My DD7 is playing with some cut flowers at the checkout stand. I tell her she shouldn't be touching the centers of the flowers that way as it will damage the flowers and they are trying to sell them. She said "but mom, I'm pollinating!" She was actually moving pollen from the center of one flower to the center of another flower.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    These all have me smiling!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by LAF
    My DD7 is playing with some cut flowers at the checkout stand. I tell her she shouldn't be touching the centers of the flowers that way as it will damage the flowers and they are trying to sell them. She said "but mom, I'm pollinating!" She was actually moving pollen from the center of one flower to the center of another flower.

That's adorable!

Then you can tell her that pollinating the flowers will make them fade more quickly, so in the interest of not shortening the shelf-life of the merchandise, or disappointing customers who buy the flowers expecting them to last more than a couple of days, she should avoid pollinating them prior to purchase...

...reminds me of the time, a few summers ago, when we had to have a conversation about not letting bees into the house to pollinate the houseplants...

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    LAF Offline
    aeh our houseplants don't flower, otherwise I'm sure she would be trying to let bees in (and we actually keep bees so we have a lot hanging around). I will let her know that in the interests of a longer shelf life she should only pollinate outside plants. smile

C
    C
    This morning was asynchronous DS's first day of grade 3 and he is yelling from the bathroom - "mom I need help". I go up and ask with what and he replies "I need help brushing my teeth and with understanding the periodic table before school". He then proceeds to grill me with questions about valence electrons.

Good luck Ms. F, I suspect it's going to be a LONG year.

M
    M
    When your 5 year old gets to wash a real load of dishes for the first time and you hear him muttering over a rather stubborn spot "Out d*mn spot! Out I say!"

In case you missed the reference to his favourite story ("in my entire life I have never read such a brilliant book mommy!") another incident:

When someone with two children visiting us says goodbye and he replies by pointing to himself and the two kids and saying "When shall we three meet again in thunder, lightning or in rain..."

Last edited by Madoosa; 09/02/14 02:57 PM.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    F
    F
    ...your 14-year-old relaxes by teaching herself another language

...you are traveling on a different continent and your 8-year-old explains to a tour guide why the animal that the guide is holding was introduced to that particular area and why that introduction had unexpected consequences.

A
    A
    ...when your DD's favorite "reward" for finishing a lesson of homeschooled math is being awarded 20 minutes to "play" more and harder math lessons on KhanAcademy.

...when the preschool child wants to spend all the way home discussion the question, "Why doesn't the car fall off the road into space?" and inserts various mostly-relevant facts about gravity into your explanation, such as that the sun also makes gravity; and you get the impression this isn't a question, it's a pop-quiz.

Page 58 of 102 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM