Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #199122 08/22/14 07:47 PM
    A
    apm221 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I've looked extensively at technical bulletins online, but just can't find an answer to a question. I'm sure it's there and I'm missing it.

My 9 year old has to take the STAR test for reading and math several times each year. The school uses it to set the instructional level and for Accelerated Reader.

Last year, my daughter was testing at the end of 12th grade level by the end of the year (her scores bounced around from 10th to 12th throughout the year, sometimes going up and sometimes going down, which I attributed to normal testing margin of error).

I'm trying to figure out the maximum score on the STAR test because I don't think AR is useful for my daughter and I've been hoping they will let her do something else during that time once she reaches the maximum. Does anyone know? Is it the end of 12th grade? Is there any standard recommendation for kids that reach that level or am I right that they may not have anything for her (meaning I could ask for something more useful?).

She just received results for this year and somehow plummeted to eighth grade level, which makes no sense to me as it's lower than the start of last year and she reads books constantly (her Kindle is her constant companion). They have moved her down to reading much lower level books according to that score, though. I can't imagine she'll stay there, though, and AR just doesn't seem useful to her.

J
    J
    I had huge issues with the STAR test as well when my DS9 was forced to follow them 2 years ago. Speak with the school and tell them you want her to be able to read what she chooses, not within a set level. I'm not sure how your school does it but I fought with DS's old school. His new school allows them to read whatever level they want as long as they show they can comprehend what they read.

M
    M
    Our family found STAR testing completely unreliable and we never hit the ceiling, my daughter first scored at grade 12 reading level in second grade, and stayed there. Our solution was to have our daughter and son read whatever they wanted and then test on books they had read previously that were "at their level".They were able to rack up the required number of points per quarter and not stress about what they "should" be reading. A quick hint is to space out testing on the Harry Potter books, they are worth enough points to count for a quarter. We spaced them out to 1 or 2 a year and used them in when they hadn't tested in awhile and needed points quickly.

H
    H
    Interesting topic- my DS8 is similar. His scores bounce around and we have found that when it comes to "AR" reading, it's really about encouraging independent reading and taking comprehension tests. At his school, it's more of a reward program than the actual reading curriculum. I suspect that some gifted children have a knack at multiple choice assessments- and that is how the STAR assessments work. I was talking with my son's new teacher to work out some math modifications for the year and she wanted to know about reading modifications based on high STAR assessments. I think it's a useful tool when used as part of advocacy. Data that backs up requests for modification or helps teachers get a snap shot of how your child might differ from a more typical student is helpful. But I would love to see some data on Accelerated Math and Accelerated Reader and it's efficacy in assessment of highly gifted students.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Looks like the maximum scaled score on the STAR reading is 1400. The sem for third and fourth graders is around 45. Yes, the max grade level is spring of 12th grade.

Both STAR reading and math administer only about 24 or 25 items (plus some non-scored trial items) in the actual assessment. As it is a computer-adaptive test, if you get two items wrong in a row at the beginning, it is quite possible that it will then only give you easier items. Of course, if you had an unlimited number of items, you could work your way back up, but you may run out of items before you make it to your true ceiling. (If you are familiar with IXL, and its adaptive testing system, you will have seen the same thing happen there, where an early error prevents you from reaching the harder items.)

If your school uses STAR for formative assessment, they may be testing as frequently as monthly (or even weekly). I expect she will be re-placed at that point. If not, request a re-test, based on the significant drop over last spring--after all, if this were a legit drop in reading, it would suggest some kind of trauma or brain injury, which would be grounds for special ed evaluation.

EDIT: Oh, and you can have them start the test off at a different grade level, to maximize the chances of finding the true ZPD.

Last edited by aeh; 08/23/14 09:46 AM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    apm221 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    The tests aren't really comprehension, though. They test memory of details from the books. My daughter had a low score once on a book she found boring (and therefore read quickly) and was told she should go back and study each book. Sometimes it's valuable to stud a book, but I think having to study books one finds boring for no other purpose than remembering small plot details for a Ted discourages rather than encourages reading (her average on the tests is over 90 percent and she just had a lower score once).

So I'm not really worried about whether the program is useful for her (I'm sure it's not). I'm interested in knowing more about the variation in scores (they show high retest scores in the publisher documentation, but my daughter's scores don't make sense to me), what the ceiling of the test is, and whether anyone has had their child reach the limit of the test and then and the school offer something different. What do they do if a child reaches the limit, just make them keep reading at the same level for years?

There's nothing wrong with reading books at the same level for years for fun, but the leveling system is frustrating - I'd rather they just let her read any books or do alternate work at that time. It's my understanding is that the main purpose of the program is to encourage them to read books that will improve their reading, but that can be done with more thoughtful assignments and evaluations.

Last edited by apm221; 08/23/14 09:45 AM.
    A
    apm221 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks, aeh. I can't imagine her reading score could really have dropped that much. They test every 9 weeks. I can't decide whether to ask for a retest or just wait. It doesn't make much difference; they have almost no books over an 8th grade level anyway as the school only goes to 8th grade. I'd really like to be able to free up the time for her to do something else, though (like work with her writing tutor) and I thought I could argue that if she hit the maximum - so the lower score was disappointing.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    BTW, there are two different kinds of reading tests: STAR progress monitoring tests, which stand alone, and AR reading comprehension tests, which are specific to the book. The psychometric data in the technical manuals refer to the STAR test, not the book tests.

And the SEM for the 95th %ile is 84 for grade 3, and 111 for grade 4. So huge, for high achievers.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    And another thing: Ren Learning just released a new version of STAR this year, with updated norms, so you may be comparing results on two different sets of norms between last spring and now.

A
    apm221 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Maybe that is the explanation. They take the STAR test to get the reading level for the books they read. They then take AR tests on the books. If they have the exact same books in the library, though, and she was getting 90 or 100 percent on every test (even if she did get higher level books), then does it make sense to set back her level?

The changed norms must be the explanation. That seems like a really big change, but at least it makes more sense.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM