Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    So I have the curriculum for next year and it seems loosely divided into a continent per month plus one month on the universe and one month on our solar system specifically.

For each month there is art, art appreciation, cooking and music to go with that continent (a few from Asia = origami, Katsushika Hokusai, pot stickers, Zum Gali Gali)

There is going to be an emphasis on learning lots of maps and matching flags to countries.

There is also a year long focus on geometric shapes. DS6 scoffed at this and said he was too old for shapes. I suspect he'll be surprised. smile

I already talked to his teacher and because he can read now, he is going to start working in a language arts type curriculum learning grammar.
    He has been doing four digit addition and subtraction and they'll be starting him on multiplication soon. I think there will be a lot of measurement too this year.

So overall a pretty cool plan. Heavy on geography, art and culture this year. Aside from the two months on space, a bit light on science. Although I am sure the wildlife and any particularly interesting plants on each continent will be covered.

For those that are familiar with the more traditional subject divisions, what do you think of a set up like this long term? We really like the school and it goes through eighth grade. Each year is set up like this. Last year was divided by biomes. The cool/weird thing is that this is the curriculum for the whole school. DS3 will be in preschool there. So when he might be finger painting a sun the kids in elementary/middle are learning about the life cycle of stars.

The traditional subjects of reading, writing and math are almost self taught in closely measured packets of progressively harder work.

Does anyone have familiarity with how a kid who is educated in such a way might do once they get in high school where the subjects don't have any coordination?

I have learned that you have to go with the best fit for now and not worry about the future but I still find myself at least thinking about it.

Last edited by KJP; 08/22/14 10:44 PM.
    D
    D
    That sounds exciting and productive to me. Wish we were there...

N
    N
    My only concern would be that there could be gaps. If the kid was in K the last time the learning cycle was on stars, and then it doesn't return to it before HS, that kid would have much less knowledge of stars than the kid who did that in 6th grade.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by KJP
    Does anyone have familiarity with how a kid who is educated in such a way might do once they get in high school where the subjects don't have any coordination?
    I am fascinated by what to appears to be a no-ceilings approach. Some may say that a child in this education model through 8th grade would deeply learn to make connections. These may be connections to slices of information in other high school classes, or (better yet) connections to news, history, current events, displays at local museums, topics coming up in conversations, etc... connections to lived experiences... internal locus of control, owning one's education. Children educated in this way may also clearly grasp that there is MUCH to be learned about any subject, and that they are empowered to strive to reach for as much knowledge as they can get in each moment.

Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    If the kid was in K the last time the learning cycle was on stars, and then it doesn't return to it before HS, that kid would have much less knowledge of stars than the kid who did that in 6th grade.
    While this may be true, there may also exist the exciting possibility that the teachers possess the knowledge and the curriculum from having taught the thematic years... and may be more likely to entertain student questions and encourage student learning in areas of interest, even outside the thematic years... than an educator in a typical classroom who may be used to teaching one slice of knowledge repetitiously over the years throughout his/her career.

S
    S
    There's a part time homeschool charter near us that uses this same school wide model. They do project based learning on a school wide theme, about one a month. We were definitely interested but DD was way down the lottery list, but made it into a sister school that is more GATE focused. Honestly, this is how we've homeschooled, by theme. It's worked nicely this summer with my 7yo and 3yo, and for years before DD entered school but was begging for school. I think it's a great model.

A
    A
    I think it depends heavily on the child and teacher. Good coverage of history by geographic region should touch on scientific and mathematical discovery and allow your son to learn whatever he wants. Of course, the teacher can gently guide students to topics that are core to standard classes.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    The school is very into the concept of nurturing lifelong learning. There are a lot of books in all the classrooms. Part of his school supplies are a library card and small backpack for trips to the nearby public library.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by KJP
    The school is very into the concept of nurturing lifelong learning. There are a lot of books in all the classrooms. Part of his school supplies are a library card and small backpack for trips to the nearby public library.
    Sounds great! This approach replaces passive learning of what others set in front of a student, with a sense of seeking knowledge, personalizing one's fund of knowledge according to one's strengths, interests, and curiosity, and learning without limits. This approach can reinforce that the whole world is the child's classroom. smile

Parents may wish to keep a list of books read. A paper note book or computer spreadsheet are both common ways to do this. Items tracked may vary widely and may include the current date, book title, author(s), publisher, date published, ISBN, number of pages, reading level (for example, lexile level), and notes or comments from the child about the book. When kids are older, they can track their books as they see fit.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    My only concern would be that there could be gaps. If the kid was in K the last time the learning cycle was on stars, and then it doesn't return to it before HS, that kid would have much less knowledge of stars than the kid who did that in 6th grade.

But then I was at school for 10 years and was never taught any geography or about any stars. If the kids can be taught to learn and encouraged to be curious they will fill in any gaps they are concerned about. I am envious we simply have no variation in schools here.

I
    I
    no variation in schools here.
    Unfortunately some may like it that way world-wide. Meanwhile others debate what vast stores of knowledge would be left on the shelf if all schools taught the same selection from the many past centuries of accumulated knowledge. Some individuals work very diligently and at great personal sacrifice to keep options like homeschooling, charter schools, magnet schools, selective public schools, private/independent schools, and parochial schools viable. As long as variance in education exists and benefits may be seen, there is hope that educational freedom will not be extinguished but may be adopted in other areas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM