Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #199135 08/22/14 10:15 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi all,

Do visual special kids tend to do better in private instruction for extra curricular activities? Just seems DD lags behind in group classes but picks things up instantly if she is shown individually. We have her in group classes for the social aspect and the cost as well. Would appreciate any BTDTer's advice. On the face of it she appears talentless and we should prob drop the activities but I can't help thinking that private classes might allow her to thrive, seems like a no brainer I know, but the extra expense is quite huge...

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    Interesting question. Not sure if it relates to visual-spatial but our DD is high in VS and performs much better in individual instruction for things like skiing, swimming, horse riding etc. She also loves math with her tutor one on one and flies through material. But yes, individual lesson are much more expensive so we save them for "when needed" to get the most value from them. In some areas the social aspect is as important as the activity so it just depends. Also some kids do learn well from watching what other learners are doing.

I wonder if all children get more return per hour of instruction if lessons are one on one. Depending on what the activity is, could you add a lesson or two of individual instruction for two reasons. You could try and gauge if there is any benefit and, additionally, you could get feedback from the instructor on how she is going and what realistic expectations are for her in that area.

A
    A
    You could add a private lesson per month with the instructor for the group activity that she is taking. That way you can save on money. My DS goes to private lessons once a month for his martial arts class and with his swim team coach just as a means for them to check and correct techniques that may be wrongly learnt. YMMV.

T
    T
    Not sure what the reason is but DS7, very vs, does much better with individual lessons for physical stuff. I'd say that it's mostly because he is always cautious and often anxious, and needs a lot of encouragement and repetition. So we do things like shell out for an hours individual skiing lesson on the first day, which cost as much as a days group instruction, but he'll learn tons more, then have him in group classes the following days, for the company.
    Swim class with a lot of individual attention, due to kids entering and leaving at various dates, worked much better than the following class where everyone. Was supposed to progress at the same level and speed - he just didn't, regressed in fact. So we switched to yet a different class, and if that hadn't worked out, I would have booked a few individual lessons for him.
    Yes it's costly, but the group lessons that had him do worse in the end were such a waste of money.

D
    D
    What Tigerle said

N
    N
    What is the activity? Some cannot be done well in isolation, such as team sports, but certain aspects of the game can be taught individually. For example, middle kid plays volleyball and softball. All individual instruction for each kid, then throwing them together for games would be a disaster. She does take weekly batting lessons though, and those are either individual or with one friend (who happens to be HG).

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi thanks so far - she is doing piano and gymnastics.

Gymnastics we are prepared to give away when she starts school as she is prob more interested in ballet anyway, though she seems to be completely incapable (face planting, tripping etc) but the thing is she is physically gifted and when the class is not on she gets on the equipment and does all her stuff perfectly. I think this could be her overexcitability at play here - she just gets soooo distracted.

With piano, although she doesn't love it I want her to keep it up to help with her over excitabilities. She really enjoys the group class because there's lots of singing and dancing (ISM) but the theory moves along at such a pace and is a bit black and white that you can see she is visibly 2 steps behind everyone else. I think perhaps its not being able to interpret what the teacher says into she what needs to do fast enough. Again when at home, shown once she plays well and despite not practising (arrgh) is in the top 2 kids in class.

We actually tried to quite last term which resulted in the school making quite a few shuffles in schedule to accommodate us which was a bit naughty of them because I know other parents were refused. So they obviously see some raw ability. although after a monumental finger licking session in class today (due to the material being presented in a boring way according to dd - not enough colour!!!) I'm pretty sure they are regretting that decision :-)

The reasons that we haven't sprung for private is the the ISM make a pretty strong case about the benefit of group lessons, she isn't in love with it (I'll admit this is from me not her) and the expense. We can afford it but even at 4 we are just starting to get a view of the extra curricular future $$$ and to be honest I'm a little freaked out!

B
    B
    I think most children learn better one-on-one. It's just not practical all the time, and sometimes they do use an activity for the social aspects. Not all that one-on-one activity needs to be by a "professional" though. A dad or mom taking the kid out and practicing throwing a ball, or working on their swimming.

If your child wants to get good at a musical instrument I do think one-on-one lessons with qualified instructor are important. Group lessons or a performance group are a different aspect that can in addition be helpful but it's different. But for the basics a group lesson is going to have a lot of hurry up and wait. As a child I took piano, one private lesson a week and one group. Honestly I don't remember getting much out of the group lesson. My son takes band at school, but I spring for a private instructor once a week. If your daughter isn't enjoying the group lessons, then I would probably try and look into something else.

N
    N
    I will be honest - I do have a bias against gymnastics environment that drives girls towards competitive gymnastics after seeing the regrets of my co-worker with his daughter where he regretted not having her quit sooner (the carousel of injuries and stress got too much) so I can not speak to specifics of gymnastics.

Some sports are such that individual coaching works a lot better than others (as some people mentioned) but even in sports like soccer and volleyball, there is still some benefit to periodic individual coaching especially for position specific skills like goalkeeping in soccer or setter in volleyball.

There is a difference between raw physical skill and coach-ability of an individual - some people are able to watch other people and with basic coaching, seem to leap in bounds with what they can do while others take longer to get to that same level but may have more potential ultimately to go further. Some sports will be easier than others for those who require more time to develop... I personally have been a good athlete but it takes me longer to make the adjustments I need to technique. But once I get that down, I catch up or surpass my class or teammates... It was like that for me in soccer, horseback riding, volleyball, rowing... I never started out in the top group but usually would in a year or season, surprise my coach with what my capability ended up being relative to my teammates.

I am very visual person, and found benefit in being in group situations by watching what others did right and wrong (but this is a maturity issue) but improved best when a coach worked with me personally. That is because although visually, I could see and understand the changes I needed to make, I could not feel the differences without feedback.

Music... Individual lessons are ideal, from my experience and both of my sisters (one who did both singing and violin at very high levels through high school).

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Mahagogo5
    we are just starting to get a view of the extra curricular future $$$ and to be honest I'm a little freaked out!

I've been freaking out for some time now so I completely understand.

Paying for DD's music lessons made our shoe-string budget even tighter. It affects our quality of life as we can't eat out as much and we can't go on vacation anymore except for a weekend here and there. We paid quite a bit for ballet too and I don't think it was a waste since she got a lot of socialization out of it but I wouldn't have paid for private lessons or summer intensive camp for ballet at her age.

It's a bit different for music since DD seems to need music and withholding music lessons feels like we are depriving her of appropriate education so we do what we can do but she seems to just need more and more.

Generally speaking, my suggestion would be to explore different activities until she finds her passion but with piano, your DD might do better if she gets a private teacher who gets her. If she still doesn't seem to love it and still doesn't want to practice, you can always revert back to group lessons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM