Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 325 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #199017 08/21/14 06:32 PM
    K
    Karenrf Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    My son loves to know the answer to everything...and he does know a lot. He tends to jump in and try to show what he knows especially when he meets people for the first time. He was doing this tonight at his school open house (he is starting first grade). I did talk to him about it, gently, but I am wondering if anyone has any advice about how to handle. Thanks.

Z
    Z
    What sort of dialog are you able have with your son? Can you discuss how this looks to other people?

We've gone through that with my DS8. Some of the things we've explained have been:
    - People will view such things as bragging, and won't even remember what you actually know.
    - In a classroom, the teacher will know you know the easy stuff, only offer answers for hard questions.
    - Conversations are a series of permission passings, dumping a bunch of information without request can be considered rude.

Usuallly I'll get to the point by asking him what he thought action xxx would do? Then get into how it won't succeed or it would have secondary effects. And trying to make each solution his own (Socratically led) conclusions has been helpful with my Mr. Know-It-All.

K
    Karenrf Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thank you Zen Scanner. It is nice to know that DS6 isn't the only Mr. Know-it-all! We did discuss how people will see it as bragging. I really like what you said about the teacher knowing that he will know the easy stuff - I am definitely going to use that. Last year when I volunteered in his K class he was always shouting out answers...and I don't think just because I was there.

I try to get him to think about things himself and reach his own conclusions...hopefully he does, but he tends to clam up when I talk about stuff like this, I think because he feels badly about stuff easily, although I try to not make him feel bad.

At then end of last year he started a "club" with some of his friends in class. What concerned me was that he was quite proprietary about it. He was the only one in charge and making all the decisions. The "club" seemed to have a hiatus over the summer as he didn't see his school friends much with camp, vacations, etc.; but now he is talking about the club again. Its great that he has good ideas and takes a leadership role but I'm hoping he doesn't get labelled as the bossy, obnoxious kid.

Our child has been accused of bragging at school. He is very offended by the word and begins to cry. He feels there's an assumption of motive behind his telling the kids how smart he is-one of, "I'm a better person than you." However, when we talked in-depth with him about why he felt the need to actually say he's a smart kid, he says he wants the kids to know who he is, and that a lot of the time he feels invisible. We've been told he needs to learn to interact better within the interests of typical kids around him and to zip up about his academic achievement if he's to get along. So far, that seems to be difficult for him because his interests center in "academic" activity.

We are concerned he's feeling intellectually isolated, and will begin to shut down altogether when it comes to social interaction. Finding real peers is essential, and we are trying to do that, but because we are in a small town an hour from the nearest large city, most activities that attract kids like him are not very accessible...that is if they will even admit him because of his age (7).

I suggest trying to find the true reason your child feels the need to "brag". My guess is he is just conveying to new acquaintances what interests him, much as a typical kid would "brag" about what a great ball player he is, or their best score on a video game, etc.

In the meantime, I try to keep in mind that our son is developing social maturity, and is behind the curve.

L
    L
    My DC get frequent lectures from me about how everyone learns differently, and that they need to be careful not to compare themselves to others at school. I have told them that doing so will not win them any popularity contests - quite the opposite. On the other hand, I am sensitive to the fact that they are young children and that even when they are not meaning to brag, simply being themselves in a school environment can come across that way - which is both sad and tough at the same time!

DS told me a story about talking to an older boy in a higher grade at school and realizing that their respective teachers had them working on the same math level at school - I quickly told DS that it was probably not a good idea to discuss with other children what math level they were working on. I am not trying to have DS "hide," but in my experience, one almost has to disguise this type of thing to be considered sufficiently humble by one's peers. DD already knows to deflect such questions by peers and change the subject (as in, "Oh, look! A cute puppy!").

I
    I
    learn to interact better within the interests of typical kids around him
    From the information given, it sounds like no tips, instruction, or support are given by the teacher who has brought forth this issue. There are a number of helpful books for children to learn positive social interaction, but since this is occurring on the teacher's watch, it seems it would only be successful if the teacher is on board with a particular philosophy or approach. Possibly asking gently probing questions as to recommended resources, your son's role, the teacher's role in guiding the learning process and providing both positive and corrective feedback to your son and the classmates may help form a supportive partnership between home and school for his growth in this area.

For intellectual peers outside of school, might he be interested in online chess or another virtual group?

P
    P
    But in a general way bragging is quite normal behavior in groups of boys. It is simply the subject of his bragging that is the issue.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by puffin
    But in a general way bragging is quite normal behavior in groups of boys. It is simply the subject of his bragging that is the issue.

As the parent of both a son and daughters, I have to disagree with this. Bragging doesn't occur any more often or for different reasons among boys than it does girls, and I wouldn't be so quick to assume that this is a case of a teacher/students being less tolerant of a boy bragging about school work/ability than the same teacher/students would be of a boy (OR girl) bragging about how they are the best player on the soccer team or how they won an award in an art contest of whatever. Yes, children do brag (both boys and girls), and when they are young, they don't always understand what is and isn't socially acceptable - but as parents (and teachers/etc) we can help our children by showing them that the way to have successful relationships with other children (and later on adults) is to be genuinely interested in the *other* person - who they are, what they like to do, what they are proud of in themselves. Asking questions, caring about others, wins many more friends than making sure that everyone knows how smart we each are. It's not downplaying the wonderfulness of being a highly intelligent kid to not have to point it out to everyone - the other kids will notice without being told. It's just simply more successful in the long run to focus on showing our children that other children are also equally interesting and worthy of respect, for whatever reason, and the way to fit in and make friends is to be a friend, not to show off by bragging.

polarbear

Originally Posted by polarbear
    Originally Posted by puffin

"...but as parents (and teachers/etc) we can help our children by showing them that the way to have successful relationships with other children (and later on adults) is to be genuinely interested in the *other* person - who they are, what they like to do, what they are proud of in themselves. Asking questions, caring about others, wins many more friends than making sure that everyone knows how smart we each are. It's not downplaying the wonderfulness of being a highly intelligent kid to not have to point it out to everyone - the other kids will notice without being told. It's just simply more successful in the long run to focus on showing our children that other children are also equally interesting and worthy of respect, for whatever reason, and the way to fit in and make friends is to be a friend, not to show off by bragging."

polarbear

This is very good advice, thank you.

Originally Posted by indigo
    learn to interact better within the interests of typical kids around him
    From the information given, it sounds like no tips, instruction, or support are given by the teacher who has brought forth this issue. There are a number of helpful books for children to learn positive social interaction, but since this is occurring on the teacher's watch, it seems it would only be successful if the teacher is on board with a particular philosophy or approach. Possibly asking gently probing questions as to recommended resources, your son's role, the teacher's role in guiding the learning process and providing both positive and corrective feedback to your son and the classmates may help form a supportive partnership between home and school for his growth in this area.

For intellectual peers outside of school, might he be interested in online chess or another virtual group?

She did suggest we sign him up for a team sport. When we mentioned Karate, she balked and said that was "too dependent upon individual ability". Likewise, robotics was out of the question. Though that is a team sport, apparently it must be too cerebral? Soccer was her favorite, but she did mention other interests like dance or an instrument. (Confusion about those...seems dependent upon individual ability!)

As for corrective feedback, they have a system for that and I suggested they use it if they feel he's bragging. But now I'm having second thoughts; mostly because of his comments about not trying to be an intentional braggart.

An online group is one I hadn't thought of. I'll explore the options. Meanwhile, we are considering our local Ham radio club, or perhaps Cub Scouts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM