Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    We're "changers." DD11 has been in four schools in six years and she was fine in all but one (the virtual at-home one -- too lonely and only lasted six months). We got some very good advice early on when she was tested that there may not be one right solution and that something that works for a while may not work forever. So we were willing to give stuff a try. I also got some bad advice from a school psychologist who indicated that switching schools was going to be massively emotionally traumatic and a major risk. That wasn't born out by our experience.

DD has friends at her old school and new one (and friends outside of school too) and seems pretty well-adjusted. Sure, there are issues finding friends who are more like her, but that's the case anywhere she goes.

Her current school is so flexible that we think it will work for some time, but only because we're allowed to switch things up within the system. For example, last winter break we switched up most of her classes to harder ones. And this year we're making another big jump.

If you have options explore them (no harm in looking) and I second the advice to involve your daughter as much as possible. Also don't be afraid to switch mid-year for the right opportunity -- we did that twice and it was fine.

B
    B
    I think switching mid-year can work, and DS was fine, but he did feel bad about leaving friends behind. It's not nearly as hard switching at the beginning of the school year, when everyone is kind of mixed up anyway and looking for new friends. DD switched classes due to grade acceleration mid-year as well and I think by the time she moved a lot of the girls already had their "best friend" and kind of ignored her. She ended up making friends with another new girl that came shortly after her (and everyone ignored the other new girl as well). It was a kind of odd class where the kids didn't seem particularly sociable. But she was fine. The kids were much friendlier when DS switched for whatever reason (both did mid-year switches in first grade). The upper grades are probably harder for girls than first grade.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM