Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    F
    finca Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Hi - I mostly lurk here but could really use some advice.

Last edited by finca; 04/19/21 06:12 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I have never put one of my offspring into first grade in public school, so keep in mind that I don't have any first-hand parenting observations on this topic.

I do, however have experience as an educator in public school districts ranging from high-needs to high-performing.

That being said, expectations for first grade really do vary as much as you've been told by your range of acquaintance. In the high-needs district, we had many entering first graders who were still working on basic letter sounds, after a whole year of kindergarten. In the high-performing district, we had entering kindergartners who were able readers. And in both places, everything in-between.

I would suggest going to your state website to look at the curriculum frameworks for grade 1, checking your child's elementary school website for curriculum notes, and taking advantage of any parent night, curriculum night, or back-to-school night your school holds. That might give you a better sense of what the expectations are.

Probably the biggest difference since your childhood experiences is the huge impact of state-wide mandated testing, which has tended to narrow the curriculum, and change the focus of primary-age education.

Hopefully, someone who's actually sent a child to public first grade will also respond!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    My DD's first-grade experience was in line with your expectations. The spelling lists had monosyllabic words with the vowel sound of the week. The reading was of the "Dick and Jane" variety. DD's school had a G/T program available to her beginning in first that sent her to a daily pull-out for ELA and math, so she was able to avoid it.

To get a feel for your own DD's prospective school, I suggest you go to their website, locate the first-grade teachers, and go to their individual sites. We find that several of our school's teachers post their spelling lists weekly. That'll give you a first-hand glimpse into the class level.

H
    H
    I think 1st grade has changed quite a bit in 30 years, but I do not think that your child will have a peer group at her level, from what you are describing. Maybe there will be one other child.

In our district, Kindergarten has the academics that I remember from my own 1st grade. So, yes, many children can read at a basic level entering 1st, and a few will be reading easy chapter books. However, the spelling lists, even the challenge lists, were incredibly simple and most of the time was spent teaching very basic reading and math skills.

I agree with looking at the school website and looking at the class materials available there.

O
    O
    We are in a high performing district (like 40% gifted), the classroom is taught to the 90th percentile, but still there is a wide range of abilities. I would say your experience will depend on your class size and your teacher's ability to differentiate. We had 29 kids so I felt like our kids' needs weren't served (as the teacher put it, "I have 28 other kids so there is a limit to what I can do.") So while my kids had peers at their level, they weren't taught at their level.

L
    L
    finca, your DD, your district, and your school's approach to later identification of G&T students sound very much like the experience I had with my DD (now 9).

The good news is, if your DD is a good and VERY INDEPENDENT, voracious reader - she will probably continue to make some progress on her own. The bad news is, the school may make little or no contribution to that progress during the school year.

I would talk to the teacher about what she has read and is currently reading at home, to see what might be available - can she join 2nd grade reading for this year, so she has a better chance of making some progress? Does the school have any resource people/gifted teachers who might be able to work with your DD and perhaps even a small group of readers in the grade (it can feel better to have some peers, even if she is ahead of them)?

One lesson that I have learned the hard way, though, is that even if the teacher is sympathetic and well-intentioned, that does NOT mean that he/she will have the time or resources to sufficiently differentiate for your DD - so you will need to keep a dialogue going (and I'm afraid to say that it will not stop after 1st grade).

I completely understand your situation. While this worked for DD, DS6 is headed to first this year, has been able to read for years, just scored very high in reading on the WIAT - but he is NOT as voracious of a reader as his sister (instead does math and climbs trees wink ). I, too, am worried about his reading instruction this year.

Last edited by Loy58; 08/22/14 07:06 AM. Reason: added
    B
    B
    I tutored reading in a public school, which was fairly diverse with many kids (maybe 40 percent?) on free or reduced lunch. By the middle of first grade, "average" was probably kids reading 30 words per minute of first grade level text, like "The cat ran by the tree." A lot of kids were still working on sounding out basic words. I looked briefly at test scores for reading fluency and there were very few kids who were fluent readers. That being said, when DD was moved to first grade from Kindergarten, in Nov. of that year, I would say about 1/3 of the class was reading chapter books, like Magic Treehouse or Junie B Jones or something along those lines. We are in a somewhat higher SES school, maybe 25 percent free lunch? I think it was a higher performing class than some of the other teachers had. So you never know until you actually see the class. You didn't ask about math, but for math most kids are still working on basic addition/subtraction up through 20, like 5+7 and they don't do much beyond that. It was a dismal situation for DS this last year, who was in first grade able to easily multiply and divide. His teacher ultimately threw out the first grade curriculum and had him do work based on above-level testing.
    For writing, the kids were expected to write short paragraphs, but nothing really more than that (although a lot of it was journal writing and they could write what they wanted).

B
    B
    Here's another data point. In my son's 1st grade class, there was an extremely wide spectrum of reading abilities. The school was about 40% FRL and in his class of 24 it ranged from level C readers who were still working on simple CVC and four letter word phonics to advanced chapter book readers. They used Reader's Workshop which basically meant most of reading was done with individually leveled books and with pairs of roughly similar children. Bottom line, your experience is going to really depend a lot on the curriculum in use and the teacher.

Last edited by Ben leis; 08/22/14 01:04 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by finca
    As of yesterday, she's ridiculously close to getting into the magnet. It looks like she will be one of only two kids who applied and were not placed (selection is lottery-only; we were just unlucky). I'm wondering if we should make more of a fuss about this? School starts next week, and there have already been many last-minute updates on her status. It is very stressful!
    If you think this is a good fit for your dc, make sure you stay on the waiting list, and call the school ever so frequently to check on status. Chances are high that someone will move away or find that it's not a good fit sometime before the end of the school year.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Be careful not to break a rib laughing.

First grade is a joke these days.

Become what you are
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM