Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    This is not a "do you think my dd is gifted?" post. Either she is or she isn't per our local guidelines. I will assume she is until she is tested. If I am proven wrong, I will probably be one of those parents that just suddenly stops posting. Certainly a test score will not affect my high level thoughts for the sweetest little girl I know, but it may cause me to reassess what is in her best interest. My reason for being here is to minimize the likelihood of messing up. I want to start thinking about school decisions critically.

We already are on the roller coaster. dd doesn't sleep much, she has a very active imagination, and oh the drama. Of course my wife and I take turns, so as to not get too tired. This is getting much better as she is doing a lot to take care of herself now days. As for the sleep. We have gotten her a cd player to listen to when she goes to bed, and the read along storybooks help her to drift off to sleep.

She owns my heart. The last 2.5 years have gone by so fast, and 2.5 years more and our little girl will be kindergarten age.

I hope school will go better for her than it went for me. I think my own traits caused me some of the problems I had in school. I am an autodidact, and was in school as well. It is very easy for me to learn anything I want to learn, but I have a strong distain for being taught. I see this same trait in her. I always insisted as a child on finding my own path, and she does now too. Later in life, I learned the value of following more well worn paths at least at times, and I would like to show her this value without teaching her to be a sheep.

She has friends, and I think they will be included in our kindergarten choice. I do fear her getting lost in school... not geographically.

I plan to keep her into sports, and any intellectual hobbies that grab her. We actually already do much along those lines, she's in soccer, we had her in a swim class. She is part of a music class at her daycare.

We really want to make positive educational decisions and allow her to be a content person, whatever that happens to mean. I do not want her to be miserable in school. I feel it is likely that reading some of the posts in this forum may help us to make decisions that will make her school years more enjoyable.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by it_is_2day
    This is not a "do you think my dd is gifted?" post. Either she is or she isn't per our local guidelines. I will assume she is until she is tested. If I am proven wrong, I will probably be one of those parents that just suddenly stops posting.
    An institution dealing with large numbers of people needs clear-cut rules, so a gifted program in a public school has to draw a line somewhere. But if the IQ cut-off is 130, there is no more difference between an IQ of 129 and 130 and 130 and 131. Giftedness is not a binary quality. Parents do not need to be guided by a strict IQ cut-off, and there is no cut-off for this forum.

D
    D
    Welcome!
    Have you looked into Montessori? It was perfect for my strong-willed child.
    Because it is child-led there is more opportunity for children to assert their own independence and to learn at their own pace.

C
    C
    Montessori can be good too b/c the groups tend to be multi-age (say 3-6) and a gifted 3 year old may have more in common with the 5-6 year olds.

L
    L
    Welcome!

Enjoy her (it sounds like you are)! What makes her special to you will not change, either, if she is eventually tested. If she is displaying special gifts, nurture those talents - but, I'd try not to stress and plan too far ahead.

Both of my DC attended play-based pre-K and enjoyed it. No, they did not learn academic skills at preschool, but they were picking things up at home without trying - preschool was all about the social experience for them.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by it_is_2day
    She owns my heart.

You have the most important ingredient for success here. Welcome!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    Of Course, I understand what you are saying. My intro was meant to be humorous, but...I guess I am not a gifted comedian.

I also did not want to provide a list of gifted attributes that my daughter possess. I personally have little doubt that my daughter is gifted. Some kids it may be hard to tell until they are older, but almost anyone who carries on a conversation with my daughter for any length of time, or just watches her carefully will see that she sees the world extremely clearly.

What I do want to focus on is thinking clearly about the upcoming decision of school. In the event that she is gifted. What actions I might decide if she is MG, HG, EG or PG. Or, not within local definitions of gifted.

No, I won't necessarily feel kicked out if my daughter tests low on an IQ test, but I will likely find different uses for my time.

My current fears are what if she is EG or PG, and yes they are fears. I do have some inside knowledge of the negative side effects of having an extremely able mind.

In the PG case I would very likely have to be ready to home school her if traditional school really isn't working. MG or HG I would most likely try everything in my power to make traditional school work. EG and it could go either way.

Of course every child and every situation is different, and I can't plan every scenario, but I feel it is necessary for me to be as armed with information as possible.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by cmguy
    Montessori can be good too b/c the groups tend to be multi-age (say 3-6) and a gifted 3 year old may have more in common with the 5-6 year olds.

Thanks, I really wanted to try a Montessori, but we had to put her into a daycare as soon as she was 3 months old, and now she has a group that she pals around with, and we would hate to break up the pack.

She does enjoy hanging out with older kids. They let the older kids into her room in the afternoon, and those are the ones she talks about the most when she gets home. At the playground too she always playing with older kids.

P
    P
    My boys were both fine with day care (NZ day cares and preschools are basically free play) where they spent their time building things, riding bikes, playing in the sand pit etc. It was better when there were older kids than when they were the oldest but that is normal. If the day care is trying to teach academics though that could be a problem.

Welcome anyway.

G
    GGG Offline
    G
    Welcome! My son is 3.5 and I found these forums a year ago. I usually log on when I am having a ton of anxiety about future education, behavior, the daily challenges. I hope you find it as helpful as I do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM