Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Story cubes! I've seen those. It's a nice idea. I know his teacher keeps interesting writing prompt pages around the room.

A vocabulary book would be good.

I need to ask about his tested reading level.

I have some good news/bad news/"I don't know to think" news.

Good news: there is at least one other kid in his class who has read Harry Potter. (Now, it could have been read to him. But grapevine also indicates there are indeed other gifted kids in his class.)

Bad news: admin is not receptive to accelerating him to 2nd PT.

"I don't know what to think" news: IQ test results are in and DS's verbal IQ tested at 150.

Last edited by ultramarina; 08/21/14 09:19 AM.
    Okay-- in light of that, my advice is to go try door number two. Door number two here is not "acceleration" per se, but COMPACTION of the curriculum, or some method of allowing him (and, er-- other kids if they are in the classroom) the ability to move at a more appropriate pace through the grade-level curriculum.

What that means in a functional sense, of course, is that such students mostly spend the first month of school doing assessments for grades 1, 2... in the subject. Or it might mean that they'll burn through workbooks and reading material at a pace that YOU know is possible, but at least then the teacher (and administrator) will see it, as well.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    The teacher, fortunately, knows DS well and is good. There is no denial on a teacher level. I may just need to sit back and see what happens. I'm worried, though, that what will happen is a reading group of 4-5 kids who are above grade level. Above grade level in 1st can mean a lot of things, though. We did get a line of "Oh, there are a number of kids in his class at about this level so he'll be fine."

Q
    Q
    K - 2nd are the years where you see the most dramatic shifts in both absolute and relative reading levels. As a result, these years may also be the ones where teachers/administrators are most resistant to claims/demands regarding your children. I don't have any brilliant suggestions but the two things that have worked fine for my kids have been unlimited access to higher level books (3rd - 5th) in the classroom and open-ended writing assignments related to beginning literary analysis questions. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about raising reading levels and focus on raising writing levels as ultimately that will likely be the gatekeeper to access to higher level work.

P
    P
    This was our situation last year. DS has the same verbal. They did a pull out enrichment once a week but it had quite a lot of kids as that makes the most parents happy, so the level wasn't that high. The particular school also was title 1 and some kids in his class were truly struggling to learn to read. It was not an experience that was of benefit to him, and the particular teacher was a brick wall.

If you have a open minded teacher, I would go over all the aspects of "reading" with them to get a clear picture of how much time is devoted to exactly what, whether kids are rotating groups, stations, seated, etc. Then see where differentiation might be possible. It's getting more bits working than not that adds up to a positive overall experience so you don't need it all to be perfect, just something in there has to be more at level.

One wants a bin of books in the classroom that contain appropriate level books, plus a few a little above that. A teacher may think it's appropriate simply because they have a bin that is "above level" but it is worth actually looking through the bin. In a title 1 school 3rd or 4th grade books may be at the bare minimum for reading ability for that grade.

A different rate or mix of spelling words. For example at DSs previous school it was 10 words a week and the administration felt they were meeting each child at their level because each received a test to set their start point (yes better than nothing). The problem lay more in the monotony of the words, and the methods used to teach them (cut them out, glue them, write them over and over in a row, etc). DS was going nuts with that amount of repetition. If the words of the week are sight light night fight etc, then for him it would be better to do 3 with the most common rule and then also throw in petite and height and rite, rather than all ten the same rule.

Spelling is a clear and easy area to differentiate, especially for good spellers, because there is almost nothing easier for a teacher than a different set of words, and kids are hopefully already getting a variety of sets of words. And the words themselves lead to deeper knowledge, assigning a child a word like heuristic means they have to look up the meaning.

As an alternative to a cutting/pasting or whatever the usual teaching technique is, a more creative/open ended activity is attempting to use them all in only 3 sentences, something along those lines. Or trying to think of synonyms and then looking them up in an adult thesaurus, etc. If it's all set up ahead so that each day's activity is the same each week, it won't be that much trouble for the teacher. (ie Monday is always cutting/pasting the words so for DS it's thesaurus day).

One has to be realistic, sending them a few grades up with an aide is not realistic in a title 1 school. Similarly, asking for differentiation that requires much teaching or explanation by the teacher will not be sustainable (An assignment such as writing a paragraph on foreshadowing in Harry Potter would be awesome, but is probably not something the teacher can support with their time in class).

I'd focus on the areas the teacher easily could accomodate/differentiate with the goal not being deep growth, but just getting through the year without going crazy. That would be the bin of books, changing assignments to be more open ended/creative, and altering the spelling words/method to teach them.

If there's any way to get more creative outlet/personal expression put into reading/language arts, do it... it helps the whole day, it's not only practice but also a tension or stress outlet.

In the end we moved.

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    We are in a similar spot. DS6's teachers and I have discussed the following:

1. Philosophy enrichment questions - https://www.mtholyoke.edu/omc/kidsphil/stories.html

2. Doing dramatic readings of picture books for the preschoolers. He is a little ham.

3. Wait a couple of months for a few other kids to catch up and then start that little group on an accelerated language arts curriculum. In the meantime, he'll work on other things.

He goes to an unusual school so we sometimes come up with "interesting" solutions.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Wow--I LOVE those philosophy enrichment questions. Made my heart go pitter-pat. Why can't we have these kinds of reading questions all the time?? Why isn't my fifth grader even doing this kind of text analysis???? Now I'm simultaneously inspired and depressed.

Polly, those are great, practical suggestions. Yes, it is a Title 1 school, but an unusual one for a variety of reasons.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I thought I would update on this. The teacher has DS independently reading a Newbery winner that is probably around 4th or 5th grade level and completing some text questions and analysis. I did not request this--she came up with it on her own. smile He still is doing some other grade-level reading and writing work, but seems to be excused from at least some of it. He's excited about this book but has withering scorn for the grade-level work.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM