Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    {edited to remove scores for privacy}

Last edited by ultramarina; 08/27/14 05:28 AM.
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Also, I guess that is a pretty big gap between verbal and nonverbal. When I tried some practice questions (random fakey stuff off the net) with him in the week before the test), I noticed relative weakness on spatial questions. But the chess!! I don't get it. I mean, he is freaky good at that.

My instinct is that his strengths are generally more verbal especially *at this time for his age* (any 6yo who can read books 5+ years above grade will be verbally strong compared to other 6yos) but that he is able and competent with nonverbal skills, certainly in MG range. I wouldn't want to miss a problem, though.

S
    S
    While it seems like a very large split it is important to note that only a split of 23 points or more is considered significant on the RIAS. So the split is large but not statistically significant on this particular instrument. Has your son been evaluated using a more comprehensive instrument?

Last edited by sallymom; 08/21/14 06:38 AM.
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Unfortunately, no, and he won't be under school auspices.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Your interpretation is largely correct. Verbal ability is quite high, while nonverbal comes out as MG-ish. The big difference between What's Missing and what you otherwise see on the nonverbal/perceptual portion of cognitive assessments is that it is mainly a measure of visual closure and attention to visual detail, light on the reasoning. On the Wechslers, it's probably most similar to the Picture Completion subtest, which got kicked down to supplementary status when they added tasks with better g loading. OIO is more of a classic fluid reasoning task.

He did the best on the verbal analogies task.

In the 6-11 age group, WM has the lowest loading on g, at a mere .49, while VR has the highest, at a healthy .81. IOW, his very high Verbal Reasoning score is the best representation of his overall intelligence, while his average-ish What's Missing score is the least representative of his overall intelligence.

The memory scores: don't know why they gave them, except that they're part of the complete test? I suppose I could see administering them to try to distinguish kids with exceptional rote memory, but average reasoning ability, from those with actual exceptional reasoning.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Oh, and the NIX on the RIAS actually does not correlate statistically with the WISC PRI. (Data is on the WISC-III PIQ, but I think the conclusion still holds.)

U
    OP Offline
    U
    In the 6-11 age group, WM has the lowest loading on g, at a mere .49, while VR has the highest, at a healthy .81. IOW, his very high Verbal Reasoning score is the best representation of his overall intelligence, while his average-ish What's Missing score is the least representative of his overall intelligence.

Thanks--interesting. You know what...his sister scored highest on that section, too!

aeh, I don't think we need this at this time, but would you think he might be worth testing with the WISC to see if he could be a DYS? My instinct is that he could be on the border, but then again he might be more just a highly competent kid. I would only do it if this school year turns out to be a problem. I don't think it will, but who knows.

Z
    Z
    Have an additional idea, "What's missing" is timed, and it is the very sort of task that lends itself to over-thinking, particularly if you are strong visually and have strong attention to detail (like a strong chess thinker would in your son's case.)

Here's an example of that sort of question:
    http://www.testingmom.com/free-stanford-binet-practice-test-questions/

And thinking that can lead to missing it:
    "There's an airplane... what's missing? A pilot, passengers, a door, is this in the air or on the ground? if on the ground, then the wheels are missing, of course the wing is missing, but that is SO obvious, maybe they removed it so I can see that the wheels aren't there. Where's the tail numbers? Also, is the shading correct with the blue above and white below? Is that shading or paint?.... what? I'm out of time...?"

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by ultramarina

Thanks--interesting. You know what...his sister scored highest on that section, too!

aeh, I don't think we need this at this time, but would you think he might be worth testing with the WISC to see if he could be a DYS? My instinct is that he could be on the border, but then again he might be more just a highly competent kid. I would only do it if this school year turns out to be a problem. I don't think it will, but who knows.
    It might be worthwhile, but probably only at the point where it would have value in changing his schooling situation.

Found some updated correlation info between the RIAS and WISC-IV, but in a small sample, so buyer beware:

In this age group, .83 between VIX and VCI, .42 between NIX and PRI. Still not great between NIX and PRI. This may change on the WISC-V. I doubt there's any correlational research yet, unless it's in the WISC-V technical info.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I sort of think he will be okay this year and that in the future he will be served fine by the gifted magnet (DD has been at this magnet so we know the drill). I really don't want to spend the $$ unless we run into big problems and need an advocate. I don't actually place a ton of faith in these tests' value in the upper ranges after knowing a lot of kids who are 130+, but I would be perfectly willing to use a DYS score as a tool if I needed to. However, I just don't know if we would get one, though that 150 was a surprise to me. I wish the school used the WISC, but oh well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM