Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by DAD22
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Isn't it interesting how these "necessary" cultural literacies are male-identified?

(I still don't know how football works. I don't care about sports at all, though I do enjoy the Olympics. Who freaking cares? I have many other interests and can talk about other things. If you exclude me from employment/promotion consideration based on that--if that is seriously a problem--then that's pathetic.)

Are you trying to imply that your disregard for sports is somehow related to your gender? I'm a male who couldn't care less about any of the major sports. I have less than zero interest in football, basketball, baseball, hockey, etc. I find them all to be pointless wastes of time and don't understand in the slightest how someone becomes a fan of a sports team with which they have no tangible connection. (I do understand being a fan of individuals with great skill or a positive attitude.)

I think we argued about this particular off-topic thingy a few months ago on this thread.

B
    B
    "Are you trying to imply that your disregard for sports is somehow related to your gender? I'm a male who couldn't care less about any of the major sports."

As they say in the New York Times comments sections, "My recent study on my own personal experience indicates that you're wrong. N=1, p<1.0001."

Men and women both like sports and fashion, but men are more likely to be into sports, and sports fans are more likely to be men. This skews test results over the population, but for the individual, there will be no sex-related trend, because sex does not change for the vast majority of individuals over time. Even if he takes 10,000 IQ tests, the sex will always be "male". So you can't test that hypothesis by using your own experience.

W
    W
    Thank you for your post.

I am regularly hoping that all human IQ raises to a great level sooner rather than later.

That sounds wonderful. I would love to have the experience of feeling what that would feel like.

I would love to hear more great public discourse and see terrific media programming. I am 100% for increasing human IQ in a healthy, natural way.

I really hope it happens soon. Fingers crossed and wishing!

F
    F
    Originally Posted by ashley
    I am no expert, but I thought that most kids (and adults) have fixed IQs that may fall in a range based on the type of test. It is interesting to read this article that says that the IQ level can fluctuate a lot! An old article, but I came across it today and thought I would share it here.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970203935604577066293669642830
    The interesting part for me was this:
    Schooling in general raises IQ by several points a year, based on research by Stephen Ceci, a professor of developmental psychology at Cornell, and others. "If you look at an IQ test, it asks things like, 'Who wrote Hamlet?' or 'Why do we pay for postage?' You are most likely to come across the answers in school," Dr. Ceci says. Even nonverbal abilities such as solving puzzles and spatial tasks may blossom because math classes today include visual reasoning with matrices, mazes, blocks or designs, he adds.

Knowing who wrote Hamlet is part of an IQ test? Wow! If I were from a different culture, I might have a really low IQ if this was the case.

Of course IQ can change significantly throughout one's lifetime; so too can height, weight, and visual acuity. In the prepubescent years of a child's life his or her IQ can vary considerably as a result of genetically programmed growth spurts, which is confirmed by measuring and comparing the IQ's of monozygotic and dizygotic twins. IQ can change in the later years of one's life as a result of cognitive diminution (Alzheimer's disease, multiple sclerosis, and the like).

Yay!

One of my posts that used the word "thingy" was raised from the dead.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM