Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    sblora Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi,

My Davidson ds9, has been skipped to advanced 6th grade math. He's doing ok, it's an online class and he's playing catch up as he didn't move until 5 weeks into our school year. It's self-paced, he uses his math period and home to do his work. Tests are taken at school longhand, quizzes are taken online. So far, he loves it, we've hit some bumps but really just getting used to the format.

We are faced with continuing this double math acceleration through high school which raises some difficulties, mostly requiring more online classes, including next year's advanced 7th grade math class and then potentially two high school classes during middle school. He would not be allowed to go to the middle or high school to take them in person even though they are walking distance. So, knowing that, we are contemplating a mid year grade skip, it has been in consideration for several years. It would prevent as many online classes, maybe just this year and in 8th grade. He would move from 4th to 5th after Christmas or earlier if all the IAS and psych meetings go smoothly. He is universally gifted. His handwriting is awful to me, but I have seen worse and he can do better just usually doesn't slow down enough. His writing ability is significantly above grade level in content, reading level has been determined to be in 11th grade.

A skip would put him one year behind his older brother, rather than two and they are 56 weeks apart in age. My older DS11, is also gifted, not as high and very aware of the distinction. My younger is a student, older prefers socializing/sports though is on the Honor Roll too.

Given this situation, what are the most important things for us to consider if the skip option becomes viable? We do Club soccer, so athletics aren't a real issue. It is possible the NC School of Science and Math will open up live online courses by that time as they already conduct those for precalc and higher...meaning he would have a real class to attend after this year and next, a strong cohort and real time teacher just not in person.

If we don't skip, there are options for dual enrollment at a community college nearby for the later high school classes (he would be able to take AP Calc AB/BC and AP Statistics in any high school ) or he could attend a magnet high school which would offer a larger variety of adv math).

I do know he will get high school credit for the middle school classes he takes at the high school level, but they and any dual enrollment courses wouldn't hit his GPA. Only high school classes taken in the high school will count towards GPA.

Thoughts? It's a lot to consider between the sibling gap, the online efficacy of classes and also knowing he'll still be responsible for any 5th grade content he will have missed on his EOGs for ELA, math and science.

Thx,

Shannon L.

A
    A
    I would pick up a copy of the Iowa Acceleration Scale and use that assessment as part of my calculus.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    H
    H
    Hi! I'm interested to see what you decide. My DS8 is in 4th and just started the new school year. He is already expressing frustrations with the math curriculum. He could use some acceleration but I'm not sure if I'm ready to take on the system to make it happen. We are military and moving next summer so in our case, I would rather put my energy into finding a good fit for the future than try and push our luck with a system that has already bent a little for him.

He skipped in 1st grade into 2nd (after about the first third of the school year). We've had a wonderful experience with grade skipping (other than it wasn't quite enough to fit his academic needs). He says he would happily skip again for academic reasons but now that he is older, he doesn't want to be "too" different.

I think all of your concerns are valid but really down to the individual child and family. A big component I identify with is having an older "not as highly gifted" son. DS8 has a 5th grade brother who is 10. How giftedness impacts the family as a whole is something to keep into account. It seems like most highly (also universally) gifted kids can bridge any academic gaps efficiently - they just need to be given access and opportunity to more challenging work. It's the psychological aspects of acceleration that are more difficult to navigate. They are much more complex.

Without real experience parenting gifted children through middle and high school, I must say that from our current perspective, it appears that academic opportunities open up as you escape the limits of elementary curriculum. I hope that is the case. : )

S
    sblora Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Our district does implement the IAS in it's evaluation of a child for a skip. We are enabling the consideration to begin, once he qualifies (if he meets the criteria outlined), we want to be ready to make our decision.

Shannon L.

G
    G
    Taking a step back: Why exactly can't he take these classes in person? They won't let him walk? There's scheduling problems? It seems like taking math classes in person would largely address your concerns, and I don't see what the barrier is here.

Scheduling is a huge problem across schools. But they can be made to work. I've found one teacher who gets the kids and advocates (or volunteers willingness to flex) can get it done. Transportation is another issue. I've not had a problem with my kids walking between schools, but the administration looks at me like I have two heads - so instead they take a full sized yellow bus 1/8 of mile (yes, 1 block with a track in between).

Alternatively, I know of people who have made video links between schools work.

Personally, I wouldn't skip for a scheduling/logistical problem for a subject acceleration. I would press for the barriers to be addressed. However, a mature kid needing a skip across all subjects is another issue. As for the sibling issue, we take the approach that our kids are individuals with unique needs and interests. We address the needs of each child. Period.

D
    D
    I would not want to settle for online instruction. We have asked successfully for district transportation to accommodate in-person participation. Part of an "appropriate" education is education at the child's level by an actual teacher.

S
    sblora Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    My son half wants to stay for a few friends and half wants to change for the academics. He doesn't care that is online, but I see the distinct problems with it. As far as walking to the middle/high, it has been deemed unfair as only some campuses are set up this way, so most kids could not do that. Thus, it was killed as an option two years ago, even then it was only rarely implemented.

I'm leaning towards no skip, as there are other schooling options we might pursue (private, magnet) that would solve the online conundrum. In addition, his middle has a current class for gifted kids that will likely cause a need for at least one of the high school courses to be offered at middle rather than online (or they'll be putting 20 kids online for a high school class!)

I have gone round robin on this many times, always coming back to preferring not to skip to shore up any maturity issues, executive functioning deficits, etc though he has been a very good student till this point.

To another's note, he LOVES working at his own pace and not having to constantly wait on the rest of the class to catch up.

I appreciate the input, we are waiting to see how the eval goes and how he continues to handle his current (first) online class, our decision will likely not need to be made until Nov. the district is hurrying his assessment for a mid year skip as it is usually a semester long endeavor.

As I mentioned, he is highly gifted across the board, exceptionally so in math/reasoning. Hence my thinking a skip maybe the right move for him even if the Mom in me wants to keep him home longer.

Shannon

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM