Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    If it helps, DS7 starting complaining about school two weeks before it started. In the last week, he said he wanted to go to school. The day before school, he said he was sad and happy about going back.
    Some of the school situations here don't sound fun. DS is lucky to be at a school that we both enjoy- but it took a lot of shopping and we have to make more financial sacrifices than we would like. We had the experience of being in a school that wasn't a "fit." DS liked his friends and teachers, but complained daily that he wasn't learning anything new.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    "The county appraiser showed up at our door today and as he was leaving he smiled at DS and asked "So are you excited about school?" DS said "no" and started to launch into a big spiel about what a waste of time it is."

That is almost an exact copy of what happened today at our daughters' open house!! I about died. DD9, the one I have been writing about, went to visit her new teacher who asked her, "What was your favorite thing about 3rd grade?" DD just stared at her for a long time. I just opened my mouth before I could reply tactfully and said that DD was hoping to be more challenged this year. DH later said that what I said was fine. The teacher sure looked shell shocked though. It was our first meeting with the teacher, and I meant to be sweet and not bothersome.
    I apologized later to DD about her bad school experiences over the past few years. I told her that most kids really liked school. She replied "MOST kids." Not her.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    The teacher last spring said that's probably what he is trying to do (manipulate me), however, that doesn't change the fact that he'd be thrilled if I kept him home and he has no interest in going to school.

Is it manipulation when a hungry child complains of hunger and asks for food?

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    The teacher last spring said that's probably what he is trying to do (manipulate me), however, that doesn't change the fact that he'd be thrilled if I kept him home and he has no interest in going to school.

Is it manipulation when a hungry child complains of hunger and asks for food?

Point well taken.

Children use whatever means they have available to try to get their needs met. Whether they choose the appropriate means is a separate issue from whether the needs are real.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Dude
    DD9's school has already started, and last night she blew up because her schedule has her in an ELA gifted pull-out, then goes back to a homeroom for forty minutes before lunch, where they're doing ELA. The homeroom teacher has decided to make DD journal during that time, despite the fact she's already doing it in the gifted pull-out. How much journaling can a kid do every day?

DD has already given self-advocacy a shot, and it's a brand-new teacher, but nothing has happened yet after more than a week and a couple of reminders to more than one teacher, so DD is naturally upset. I'm giving them one more day to handle it themselves before I bang my head against the desk and I type the same email I send every [thump] stinking [thump] year [thump].

Oh, and yesterday DW had to make an emergency stop on the way home so DD could relieve herself, seeing as how the school-wide policy is "go during recess, or suffer the consequences." Ummm... elementary kids?

For that one I would deluge them with research on the damage done to the bladder by holding on and the risks of UTIs. I think you would find most parents would object to that one.

And as to the "trying to manipulate me" how else is he supposed to get his needs met? If he doesn't like school then there is probably a reason.

And while I am being grumpy, how come the school can't teach a PG kid to write or challenge him in maths?

Last edited by puffin; 08/22/14 03:53 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM