Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Kids can come to odd conclusions on this kind of thing. My son's preschool class was not very diverse. The two kids in his class who caused him a lot of grief were the two who had dark skin leading him to conclude at four that kids with dark skin are meanies.

He also spent a day at work with me once and met two female judges and a female mayor. This lead him to lament "Well, that isn't fair. I can't be anyone important unless I am a girl!"

The character's in the Pokemon cartoons are all different shades and often have crazy colored hair.

B
    B
    -Lilo & Stitch, the main characters are native Polynesians & a blue alien.

-Whale Rider - an wonderful movie about a young Mauri Girl in New Zealand who make a amazing unsung hero. (The young actress got a Oscar nomination.) It's rated PG-13 but doesn't deserve it.

While Bend it Like Beckham is a great movie, I'm not sure how appropriate it is for a 6 year old. It's a wonderful preteen, or teen movie on the other hand.

MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Bend It Like Beckham -- do you remember there being anything very explicit? My kid knows about sex, but I don't want her to get any, um, visuals. Ditto for violence.

J
    J
    This might be helpful:
    https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/bend-it-like-beckham

Parents need to know there is an implied sexual situation between a couple committed to marrying each other. Homosexuality is discussed. Several of the under 21-year-old characters do have a beer or a glass of wine, however they drink responsibly and are of legal age in the UK/Germany, where the scenes take place. Jess hides her soccer playing from her family and lies to protect her secret.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    Bend It Like Beckham -- do you remember there being anything very explicit? My kid knows about sex, but I don't want her to get any, um, visuals. Ditto for violence.
    It's more what the theme of the movie than particularly what is shown explicitly. To be honest my kids wouldn't have found it boring until they were a bit older & more mature. It's about two older teenage girls and while the main part of the movie is about the one girl breaking her family taboo and playing football (soccer), they do talk about boys & sex. And the girls family is upset because they think her friend is a lesbian.

IMO it's a very good film, empowering for young women/girls, and not particularly explicit. But I would personally suggest it more for kids 10+.

Interesting the web-site common-sense web site suggests, about 13 for Bend It Like Beckham, and 11+ for Whale Rider. Looks at the reviews and use your own best judgement.

Last edited by bluemagic; 08/19/14 03:13 PM.
    B
    B
    It's not out yet.. but the new "Annie" movie looks like it might be good.

http://www.annie-movie.com/teaser/

A
    A
    Guess Who's Coming to Dinner--an excellent adult film.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    I
    I
    There's also the adorable and endearing Disney character Doc McStuffins, a little girl who is doctor to her toys and stuffed animals. Through the care she provides, each TV episode, video, and book conveys a life lesson.

Eddie Murphy has a few family-oriented comedies that feature children of color... Daddy Day Care, Dr. Doolittle, Haunted Mansion.

I almost hesitate to mention these, becaue they're terrible, but my DD likes them, so yours might. Disney is doing a pretty good job of mixing races on their TV shows, and two that feature positive black girls in particular are Jesse (that girl is right about your DDs age) and Ant Farm (which also happens to be about gifted kids).

S
    S
    Not a movie suggestion, but can you get to some diverse neighborhoods and play in their playgrounds? We are fortunate that we live in a very diverse area and my children really play with every imaginable type of child with regard to race, religion, ses, family composition (gay, blended, single parent families, for ex). If you could somehow visit a more diverse area, I think there is no substitution for actually just getting to know different people. Otherwise, there are some good suggestions here. I particularly recommend Doc McStuffins. My DS8 still likes to watch it (but he will deny it in public).

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM