Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    P
    P
    Rick Riordan's Egyptian gods series (The Kane Chronicles) has some interesting discussions. The main characters are mixed-race siblings, one of whom happened to come out rather light-skinned while the other is darker. There are a number of places in the book where the characters discuss the kinds of assumptions people make when meeting each child, the different ways the two kids can be treated, and how each child reacts to the way others react to their sibling.

M
    M
    If you're looking to expose your kids to other cultures, my son really liked Like Stars on Earth, or Taare Zameen Par, an Indian movie about an 8 year old boy with dyslexia. It's nearly three hours long, with occasional unexpected singing, yet my DS was glued all the way through.

I
    I
    Reviving this old thread to add a link to a recent post on the movie Hidden Figures (2016).
    Related books:
    1) Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race, by Margot Lee Shetterly (2016)
    2) Hidden Figures Young Readers' Edition, by Margot Lee Shetterly (2016)
    3) picture book Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race, by Margot Lee Shetterly (2018)

More good movies:
    1) The movie Lion (2016), based on Saroo Brierly's memoir "A Long Way Home" may also be of interest.

2) The animated Disney movie Moana (2016), based on Polynesian culture/history/folklore may also be of interest. Disney's official trailer here on YouTube.

3) The movie Concussion (2015), with Will Smith portraying Dr. Bennet Omalu who discovered the connection between concussions and CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy).

These movies are now available on DVD or Blu-ray for home viewing.

T
    T
    get out 2017 is a good movie about black people too.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by TessHaubrich
    get out 2017 is a good movie about black people too.
    I will disagree. As a horror movie similar to "The Stepford Wives" of the 1970's, "Get Out" does not illuminate any culture, nor is it inspiring, etc, but rather involves terror, science fiction, and predation.

"Get Out" is rated R and is far from being a match to the OP's request for:
    Originally Posted by OP movie recommendation request
    movie recommendations that portray people of color in fun engaging stories. Need not be "kids" movies, but nothing gritty or disturbing.

I
    I
    Queen of Katwe (2016) is an EXCELLENT movie, telling the story of Phiona Mutesi rising to prominence as a chess player.

Related book: The Queen of Katwe: One Girl's Triumphant Path to Becoming a Chess Champion, by Tim Crothers (2012)

Fact-checking summary: History -vs- Hollywood provides Real -vs- Reel comparisons between facts of Phiona Mutesi's life, and the Disney movie's portrayal.

R
    R
    I agree about Big Hero 6, Moana, Mulan and the Princess and the Frog. Also, it's probably a little scary and mature for a six year old, but I thought Spider-man:Homecoming was nicely diverse although the lead is white. There are a lot of different skin colors represented at Peter Parker's science magnet high school but no one is playing a 'trope' based on their ethnicity.

M
    M
    The most recent Wrinkle in Time movie. It has the added bonus of being based on a book that I think really speaks to the gifted experience.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM