Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    polarbear #198641 08/17/14 10:32 AM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    And I'll add that, even if the school doesn't write SLP eval on the consent form, you have a right to add it--there's a check box that says something to the effect of, "I consent to the evaluation, and request additional evaluation in the following areas:" and then you would write in speech and language evaluation. The SLP is almost always a different person from the SP, so they don't have to agree with your request in order for you to get a good eval. The design of eligibility determination is that a list of concerns and needs is brought to the team, which results in areas to be assessed. The actual determination of disability comes relatively late, after the team has gathered information. As an evaluator, I prefer to receive a list of the parent's (or teacher, or other referrer) concerns and observations, rather than a speculative diagnosis. I find that it tends to shut down objective evaluation and problem-solving, with preconceived notions. I've mentioned before that writing a line or two about your top concerns, your name, and your contact info directly on the signature page increases your chances of a direct contact by the evaluator. Also, once you've sent in your consent form, call and ask who the case has been assigned to for testing, and get their contact info. In my case, I more commonly find myself chasing parents, trying to get involvement from them, so I always make a point to call and hear their concerns and history, if a parent makes an overture of this sort.

Everything I've said about SLP applies to any other reasonable assessment that hasn't been printed on the consent form already (OT, achievement, phonological processing, comprehensive assessment of written language (e.g., TOWL)).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    NikiHarp #198645 08/17/14 12:36 PM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Is it standard for additional assessments to be a part of RTI/504? They didn't suggest they were going to do anything more. I think the asst principal accepted the diagnosis. I think the school psych may have accepted it, but because she felt he wouldn't qualify for spec ed, her job was done. I don't think she sees him as deficient compared to grade-level standards, therefore nothing else needs to be done. I'm guessing money would not be a driving factor here, but that's just a guess.

They did say they would email us recommendations next week, so I may need to hear them out and go from there. What you are both describing and how our process is going seems a little incongruous. Perhaps I need to give them a little more time.

To clarify, DS has had WISC IV, WJ, Beery and several behavioral evals from a Hoagie's listed pscyh. Would these not tease out a speech-language issue?

PS. No more curve balls. Gifted kid + LD = enough curve balls wink

NikiHarp #198647 08/17/14 01:36 PM
    P
    P
    LOL about the curve balls! smile

I'd wait it out and see what recommendations are suggested with the RTI. Plus make sure you have a good list (for you) of what you think your ds needs and what you want the school to provide (if you can get everything you want).

*IF* you want to pursue an IEP, read this paragraph. And remember, I'm just a parent in one school district out of the entire country, so don't weight my advice too highly… I'd try to find an advocate instead who knows your local schools smile The way that RTI works here is - it's tried before an IEP eligibility process happens. However, if a parent turns in a written request and can successfully demonstrate that RTI isn't appropriate (for whatever reason) then the IEP eligibility process can begin without the RTI.

To clarify, DS has had WISC IV, WJ, Beery and several behavioral evals from a Hoagie's listed pscyh. Would these not tease out a speech-language issue?

Sorta, but not completely and not well enough to understand what's going on before deciding how to remediate. We didn't realize the extent of our ds' expressive language challenge (i.e., beyond handwriting) until he was in 4th grade and started to tell us about the issues he was having (which is a bit ironic, since it's an expressive language issue… but I digress :D). The SLP eval we had included the CELF assessment, and that will separate and show the areas related to expressive and receptive language that are potentially issues. The TOWL and PAL would be given by either a school psych (or maybe an OT?)… and they contain more specific info re challenges with written expression.

In other words, the ability/achievement testing shows a potential issue, the Beery helps separate out is it fine motor or vision related, but the specifics of how a child's expressive language is impacted and needs to be remediated aren't spelled out clearly in those tests.

And if you think that's a lot of testing…. just be happy you aren't dealing with a kid who's not technically classic dyslexic but can't learn to read… you can't believe how many different assessments my reading-challenged dd had, and… how much info we actually *did* get from every single one - I don't have a one of them that I regret having - even the evals that showed "no problems" are good data - because they tell you what you don't *need* to worry about.

It's all just a lot to consider and get through though… but I will just add one last thing - I am *forever* so grateful that we went ahead and pushed for an SLP eval for my ds. He will always struggle with handwriting, but the world is so keyboard accessible that dysgraphia is almost a non-issue once you've gotten through school. Even as you get into middle and high school it becomes less and less of an issue each year because technology is such a large part of our everyday life. But expressive language challenges - he really needed help with that - there was no way he could have found his own way and plowed through successfully without help. I hope your ds doesn't have that added issue, but if he does, push for the speech therapy. It was a lifesaver for my ds.

Best wishes,

polarbear

NikiHarp #198648 08/17/14 01:38 PM
    P
    P
    ps - this is sincerely not meant to be another curve ball, so please know I'm not trying to stress you out any more than you probably already are! But, fwiw, with kids who have challenges, you don't usually find the answer in one nicely wrapped package, get the help and then just magically move on. You may have heard elsewhere it's akin to "peeling an onion" - you figure out the first layer of challenge, deal with it (accommodate or remediate or whatever), and beneath that layer you might very well find that another challenge is revealed. It takes time. So be sure to also focus on your ds' strengths and supporting him in those areas too.

Best wishes,

polarbear

NikiHarp #198653 08/17/14 04:57 PM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Polarbear, you are such an asset to this community. Thank your for taking the time to respond so thoroughly.

And you aren't stressing me out wink You have wisdom from experience that I don't have yet and I'm grateful you are willing to share.

NikiHarp #198657 08/17/14 08:10 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I don't usually recommend books of which I have no direct knowledge, but this one got strong reviews in the professional journals (and I've also read powerpoints of presentations by the first author, although I haven't had a chance to hear her in person). Anyway, I think this might be a worthwhile read for those of you dealing with or suspecting dysgraphia or dyslexia. It's co-authored by a psych (Dr. Virginia Berninger, author of the PAL2) and a teacher, so, according to the reviews, it has a lot of practical interventions and accommodations in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Stud...ng+students+with+dyslexia+and+dysgraphia

She also has a more expensive volume with lesson plans for same.

It may help with advocacy to have a reference work that discusses specific diagnostic signs, accommodations, and interventions. The book, I believe, actually discusses dyslexia, dysgraphia, and OWL LD, including the cognitive distinctives of each.

Last edited by aeh; 08/17/14 09:55 PM. Reason: Author info

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    NikiHarp #198671 08/18/14 07:46 AM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Thanks, aeh!

NikiHarp #199473 08/27/14 02:57 PM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Update: the asst principal emailed us back. We were expecting the first interventions for the RTI process, accommodation recommendations for a 504 and an OT evaluation.

The classroom teacher completed an evaluation of a writing sample and he meets and exceeds grade-level writing standards. Their suggestion is to help him develop ideas and recognize misspellings with Tier 1 interventions (for example, underlining misspelled words). There was no formal documentation of this-only an email update.

There was no further mention of the 504 plan or the OT evaluation.

She ended the email as if the case was closed. This was our one ally and I feel we've lost her support. It's like she changed her whole tune. She was ready to act and now it seems she's done.

Do I fight for the 504? My concern is that, although he can meet grade-level standards now, he won't be able to later. If I get the 504 now, will it protect him later? I'm also afraid that he'll get kicked out of the gifted program because the writing is so demanding in there. Would a 504 protect him from that?

Here's the other piece-he's happy. He LOVES school. He hates writing, but he does it with no complaint at school (he doesn't complain about anything-ever). The teachers are happy. He meets the second grade standards and they have no concern whatsoever about the gap that exists in his ability and achievement. It seems DH and I are the only ones who are concerned, which makes me feel a little crazy.

I have found this school to be entirely inflexible with every dealing I've had with them. I'm not sure how to approach them anymore.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM