Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #198371 08/12/14 06:44 AM
    C
    cammom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    This morning my DS7 said "I just feel like time passes randomly. Every day feels the same, and not a single day has any meaning to me."

So...I'm not getting wrapped around the axle about the statement- he's only seven after all. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with young kids feeling this way? Or expressing themselves in these terms? If he was older, it would worry me a lot.

Sometimes, I think DS does get sad- he will suddenly remember something that hurt his feelings when, literally, he was three or four years old, and will become withdrawn.

DS is my only, and granted, he's unusual. Maybe other kids feel this way too.

cammom #198375 08/12/14 08:28 AM
    D
    D

cammom #198382 08/12/14 09:18 AM
    I
    I
    You've received a great resource already. I'll just add a couple of thoughts...

Originally Posted by cammom
    This morning my DS7 said "I just feel like time passes randomly. Every day feels the same, and not a single day has any meaning to me."
    1) Might he be interested in the movie Groundhog Day in which the main character keeps reliving the same day, with slightly different outcomes based upon what he learns and how he changes/improves his focus/interactions/responses? Parts of the movie may be mature but with parental guidance and meaningful discussion this could be a positive.

2) Might he be interested to set some goals and work hard to achieve them? These could be anything of interest, such as:
    - reading 10 books on xyz topic. Possibly checking out books available at the local library and then rating them as to most interesting to least, and only reading the parts he likes.
    - purchasing a new fruit or vegetable to taste each time he accompanies you to the grocery store or market. Possibly logging each until he has tasted all varieties available... or all red ones... etc... whatever he would like his goal to be.
    Learning to add meaning to our days, developing internal locus of control, and refining a sense of direction are important life skills.

Sometimes, I think DS does get sad- he will suddenly remember something that hurt his feelings when, literally, he was three or four years old, and will become withdrawn.
    Reflecting on this may provide an opportunity to discuss the value of different perspectives, as well as the priority/magnitude of a comment or event when placed among all the other interactions/comments/events in one's life. With the passage of time, revisiting old events may occur less frequently and may be triggered by a similar event in the present which may open old wounds or strike in a particularly vulnerable area. Discussing any potential parallels, seeing what may be learned, as well as introducing the concept of forgiveness, writing off bad debt, or "let it go" may all be worthwhile in helping him articulate and manage his feelings over time.

cammom #198384 08/12/14 10:29 AM
    S
    S
    DD7 has been having some existential blues lately. She'll just feel suddenly alienated from her life and surroundings, to try to describe what she's intimating, and sad. I am watching it, talking with her, and if it ever seems overwhelming I know of an excellent local gifted-focused therapist. But mostly I think it's common for gifted kids and just want her to know she can talk to us about it. I certainly remember feeling the same as a child and being thrown and frightened. So far telling her I relate and it can get easier to handle helps, and holding her, and keeping her busy (new ideas, stimulation, outside play) helps.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by St. Margaret
    ... talking with her... telling her I relate... holding her, and keeping her busy (new ideas, stimulation, outside play) helps.
    smile

cammom #198430 08/13/14 01:35 PM
    T
    T
    DS cycles through these phases. I admit that these days, I mostly just distract him, I tell a funny or interesting story while we cuddle or offer an interesting thing to do. It's not meant to be manipulative, he knows I'm doing it and sometimes asks me to.
    I am worried that at some point he may need CBT or even medication, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

cammom #198473 08/14/14 10:14 AM
    My son is the same. Most of the time, he seems pretty happy and interested in his topics. But he is a sensitive soul and when he starts encountering things that are challenging for him (like vision therapy) he goes down the rabbit hole. He starts digging in his heels, getting defiant and tells me things like - I can't do it, I don't care about this, what is the point of this? what is the point of life? why are we here? And even as a 6/7 year old has told me he wanted to die. This startled and scared me of course but I have been able to talk to him and bring him around after he has some quiet time. I try to figure out what is really going on in his head. I don't think he really understands what he is saying. This has only happened a couple of times so I am just watching right now to see how things progress as he gets a little more mature.

Mom to 2 kiddos - DS 9 with SPD and visual processing issues and DD 6 who is NT
    cammom #198476 08/14/14 11:50 AM
    D
    D
    I think most of us could benefit from CBT!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM