Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    My kids play Its Your Turn (www.itsyourturn.com/) pente and other games, generally with our adult friends, though we've lectured them ahead of time on giving out personal information and having internet "chats" with anyone.

cym #19821 07/11/08 03:37 PM
    I am the only on that plays chess, or I should say played chess. DS5 has shown some interst so maybe over the summer I will teach him. A mther I met with GT kids out of Nevada suggested I teach him using just pawns first. Then move on to other pieces using things like just the queen, bishops and king. I kind of like this because it helps develop stratagy. Any ideas out there on this?

Edwin, I checked out a book on chess for kids and it had several games like that ie starting with just pawns etc. I'll see if I can find it.

Dazed
    Thank you, I normally just plow ahead, a format would be nice.

incogneato
    Thank you, I like the visual cue. DS5 is ok with me showing him, but only for so long.

In teaching him games, normaly I let him win the first few times for confidance, do any of you do this?

I tried to post a chart, but the format eliminated all the nice neat spacing I did and smooshed it all together.

DD's got a chart from chess club at school.

You can just take a piece of paper or make a chart in word.

The top headings would be Name, then Movement, then Strengths and lastly Weakness.

Under the name heading go down the list for each piece, pawn, knight etc.

under picture you can draw or click art a picture of the piece and add directional arrows demonstrating possible movements

Then under movements, just describe what the piece can do.

Do the same for Strenths and Weakness, you get the picture.

I wish I had a link, but I think the chess club leader came up with this on her own. Unfortunately I don't even have a scanner or I would sent it in an e-mail

I do but DH doesn't. Who do you think they prefer to play with?

smile

DD8 is catching on and is over it, she'll mostly play with dad. But DD6 is lacking in confidence, so why not?

Incogneato

Yhank you, I think I will do that, and start with some individual piece games.

DS is willing to play chess when asked, but seems to prefer and really do better with both checkers and the Japanese* territory game 'Go'. He routinely beats me at both. I think there might be some sentimental attachment for him on both of these choices; he has a great uncle from Britain who has given 'draughts' a certain sophisticated aura for him and he knows the Go board we play with was acquired by his grandpa while in the service. *(Might originally be attributable to China or Korea..have to look that one up.)

He has enjoyed playing checkers online; I think nickelodeon has a website with lots of free games and checkers with one of the characters is available.

Last edited by chris1234; 07/12/08 05:01 PM. Reason: not sure on factoid...
    J
    J
    A clever dad at my son's elementary school started a chess club. A professional chess player would come once a week and give lessons afterschool. It wasn't long before the club started competeting in district and regional games.

Well, that is how my son started playing chess. He played for 2-3 years until someone in middle school said chess is for geeks and wierdos. Before that, he placed 20th in state competitions under his ranking class.

I hope he starts playing again. He's a teen now and beats all of us here at the house. Sometimes he will play online or with the computer.

It's very good strategic thinking practice!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM