Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #197580 07/31/14 08:35 PM
    J
    jayta Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I need to make a decision soon about whether to book in for SB5 or WPPSI-IV testing when my daughter is 3.5yo, as the waiting lists in my area are fairly long.

I know waiting until after 4yo is recommended but the testing is required earlier to see whether early entry to school is an option.

I understand the SB5 has a higher ceiling but this wouldn't be required for a 3.5yo, would it? I've also heard that the SB5 is more appealing for younger children - any thoughts on that? Also the other difference I've read is that the WPPSI is a little more verbal than the SB5 - so would a child with a large vocab perform better on this?

Also, how does the SB5 vs WPPSI compare score wise? The SB5 scores a little lower doesn't it? But considering the WPPSI was just re-normed, does that peg them fairly equal now?

thanks in advance for any advice

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    I can't answer your question specifically. maybe aeh can comment about the technical aspects. We used the SB V but DD was 7 and 9 during her testing. I think your questions re the scores and new tests versus old test are legitimate but ultimately you want the test that gives you the best information about your child and their needs. We are glad we went with the SB V but we haven't done any Weschler testing so I don't know what information that might have given us too.

O
    O
    My guess is it depends on your child. My first child wasn't gifted on the WISC, but was gifted (highly gifted in some areas) on the SB5 (ironically he was verbally gifted on the SB5 - what it really picked out though were his visual spatial abilities).

J
    jayta Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    double post - see below

Last edited by jayta; 08/12/14 06:17 PM. Reason: double post - see below
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    SBV is a little more comprehensive for a 3yo than WPPSI-IV. The factor structure is a little more robust on the WPPSI, though. And I prefer recent norms when I can get them. The ceiling is probably adequate on either one for a wee one.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    J
    jayta Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    thanks for the comments.

Yes I'd like to get the best information so we can make the right decisions. But I'm not sure what will give us that. I'm concerned that the reduced number of subtests in the WPPSI for a 3yo might over inflate the results. I haven't looked at how the SB5 is administered to 3yo's so I will check that out - more comprehensive will be good.

At the moment my daughter has great verbal ability - but we also read a LOT. I worked through a vocab test informally with her just before she turned 2 and she had the age equiv. of 4y3m back then. She does show signs of being gifted in other areas but nothing as strong as her verbal ability.

She is also a bit of a perfectionist and becomes frustrated with her fine motor skills, so I'm worried about how that might come out on a test too.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Fine motor comes in on the two visual spatial subtests of the WPPSI-IV. Tasks differ on the SBV, depending on her performance on the routing tasks (vocabulary (verbal knowledge), for the verbal tasks, and matrices (nonverbal fluid reasoning) for the nonverbal). It is possible that a strong performance on the nonverbal routing subtest may put her at a level where hands-on pattern assembly will be a significant part of a subtest score. (Some level will be present,but fine motor demands vary.) No such problem will occur on the verbal section. If using the SBV, make sure the examiner is clear that the referral question is giftedness, as the Early SBV, which can be administered to kids age 2 - 7-3 in the NT and DD population, is not appropriate for gifted.

There are usually 6 subtests administered in the WPPSI-IV, at this age, and ten on the SBV. Having fewer subtests will not necessarily inflate or depress the results. Sometimes having more will lower them, as young children tire quickly (although the subtests usually go by quickly on either test).

Measurement of verbal ability is, as you suspect, associated with environmental enrichment. The visual-spatial tasks are less so--but may be impacted by fine-motor skills, which may be quite different from cognitive development. This is one of the reasons why any cognitive assessment done on three year-olds should be taken as provisional only. If you go into the testing with realistic expectations about the validity and stability of early childhood testing, then it will be valuable, but not quite so stress-inducing. Be prepared to have her re-tested in another four or five years, if you want more stable and accurate assessments. And also, remember that you don't have to make decisions for the next decade of her education right now. If you have to change in a few months or years, it's okay.

J
    jayta Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    thanks for the in depth explanation. I hadn't considered the tiring quickly factor.

I guess I am concerned that the WPPSI will score a lot higher due to her great verbal ability. Hmm.. I have another 2 months before I need to book her in somewhere, so I will keep thinking about it.

thanks again

C
    C
    With the regard to the verbal parts of the WPPSI-IV - doesn't a kid need both high IQ and environmental enrichment to get a high VCI score? I don't think it's possible to enrich an average kid to a super high WPPSI-IV VCI score? (is it?)

(I wondered about this b/c my kid hit the VCI ceiling when tested at 3:5 - I asked if we had overdone storytime or accidentally hothoused him? We were told no). (we just read him stuff he was interested in and answered his questions as best as we could).

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Yes, cmguy, you would need both to score that well on the VCI...or at the very least, exceptional verbal memory. So something would have to be exceptional.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM