Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    2 members (jenjunpr, aeh), 161 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #197574 07/31/14 07:48 PM
    22B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Art of Problem Solving Bookstore
    http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Store/index.php
    Art of Problem Solving Online School
    http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/School/index.php

I'd like to brainstorm about all the various pros and cons of working through an AoPS book versus taking an AoPS course. (I'm trying to make the conversation general, so this applies to all levels of books/courses, and to people in all circumstances.)

My DD is taking the AoPS course route.

So far she has taken the pre-algebra I class and about half way through the second one...

She enjoys the online interaction sessions and finds some of the challenge questions in the class harder than those in the books.

The books are, IMO, very well written and the challenge questions can be quite tricky in their own right. The solutions book is also essential as it gives detailed solutions for a student to compare their own with.

Become what you are
    We did one online class, and one class using just the book. I definitely think, my kid got more out of the class. I think the class forced him to stay on a schedule and do everything to completion because if you didn't fully understand the concept...well the challenge problems were impossible. So, that forced a review if the concept wasn't yet mastered.

The advantage of doing just the book was that it didn't force a schedule when you were on vacation or busy with other things.

With the class, we were dragging a laptop and book on vacation for fear of getting behind.

L
    L
    My two DSs are doing Pre-Algebra and Algebra 1 course Online.

They have had the books for two years and never opened it more than twice. Online class is more suitable for my DS as they learn at an scheduled time.
    The online interaction certainly feels like its a classroom with other students and that is a better learning environment when the topic is tough. Online they can make mistakes and also answer correctly, in real time !

The online Algebra Class is certainly a little slow for my 11 years old, but it is re-enforcement of what he already knows.

AoPSol is also starting weekend classes.

C
    C
    We're not homeschooling so opted for the Beast Academy guides and workbooks for summer enrichment. Mainly, because it's the first math program I've ever seen that *really* challenges DS.

It was an emotionally difficult for him to actually have to think a problem through before solving it. Many a meltdown in the first few chapters, but we stuck with it, and he's now adjusting to the difficulty level.

The con of the workbooks is that I'm not "mathy." I can work through the problems with DS, but AoPS is already quickly exceeding my ability to provide a cogent explanation. There was a thread on "mathy" kids and their "non mathy" parents:)

22B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So, collecting some thoughts.

The books cost $50ish, while the courses are about $250 to $500, so cost is a consideration.

Some course follow a book, while some don't. For courses with a book, you still apparently have to read through the book and work on problems, just as you would if you were working just through the book, so the class gives interactive reinforcement of the book work you have done. (Is that right?) Also there's the question of whether the pace is right, both during the live class, and also the week by week pace. I gather that the class can act as a pacesetter/motivator for a student who wouldn't have effectively worked through the book in the absence of a class. On the other hand, the fixed weekly schedule could clash with other plans and activities. Without the class you can work through the book at your own pace, not having to bother with fixed weekly appointments.

Another factor is parental expertise, and how much they need to outsource to the AoPS people.

Another factor is that you may be able to get accreditation from an AoPS class.

Another factor is whether you are homeschooling, or afterschooling/supplementing (though I'm not how that affects the decision).

ETA: I'm curious to hear about the Beast Academy books (which have no course). How are they for kids who are fairly strong (top few percent) in math, but who are not the supermathy math loving type?

Last edited by 22B; 08/02/14 05:50 PM.
    22B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Anyone have any feedback about the Beast Academy books?

22B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, Portia. I suppose that style is not for everyone. DD5 is just staring K with EPGY, and I'm contemplating when to switch over to AoPS.

I
    I
    DD just started working through the AOPS prealgebra book. It seems the book is very well designed for self-study. DD is learning efficiently using the book. So I guess we do not need the online course for now.

I was surprised that the book introduces the concept of axiomatic proofs of abstract algebra in the very beginning. I wasn't sure if she's mature enough to absorb this, but she's actually handling it well.

Last edited by iynait; 08/09/14 02:03 AM.
    22B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I think EPGY is good for a smart student to cover material quickly, with just the right amount of explanation and practice. It has some extra topics (e.g. basic set theory, logic, numbers not in base 10 etc. that are not in most elementary math courses these days). However it seems that what AoPS has, that EPGY doesn't, is deeper problem solving, and this is preferable for the mathiest kids, even if it takes longer to get through the corresponding material.

So one sensible way to do it is to do EPGY from K to 7, the switch over to AoPS for Algebra (I). The higher EPGY courses are much more expensive (with compulsory tutors) but even without that I ultimately prefer AoPS.

We actually got an EPGY subscription before the recent change, so we have the EPGY algebra course, but I am getting DS8 to do Algebra with the AoPS book, and not use the EPGY algebra course (which would have only covered part of what the book does). He'd previously taken K-7 with a k12.com virtual school (which is just average, not for gifted), so I used bits of EPGY K-7 to fill in gaps. In hindsight using EPGY K-7 would have been good.

I don't have the AoPS prealgebra book, but looking at the excerpts, it looks good just like the AoPS books that we do have. The Beast Academy books look like they could be good provided that they appeal to a kid and they are motivated to work through them.

Anyway DS8 is starting AoPS Algebra (book, not course, though it's to be seen whether he'll stay on task with it, which gets back to the question of how well it works for a youngster working through a book, mostly independently).

DD5 just started EPGY math at level K (actually she did K in 2 sittings, so on 1 now), but is not going to go at the pace DS8 did. I can envisage switching to AoPS at algebra, or at prealgebra, or at BA3a. (Another issue with BA is when the books will come out because they've had some delays, but I think gr 4 and 5 should be out in time for DD5, though gr 2 won't be).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM