Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    sblora Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I just found out our Davidson DS9 has qualified in our district for double advancement in math. Truly, he could grade skip but we're not there yet wink. Plus, we could do the double advancement NOW where the skip would likely have to wait another school year. We are year round, so have been in school since 7/9. He skipped 3rd grade math and received 4s and 99th percentile on his recent EOG. For math, his test today was 84% for the 5th grade math EOG. I'm having a hard time not going forward with the additional acceleration but there are definite obstacles. It would be a course online with a county teacher, but it started 3 weeks ago (luckily my ds11 is currently taking it, though we are looking to bump him as well), as such, the next class would also be online unless I can convince the schools to let him walk over to the adjacent middle school to take it live.

The way our county is set up, 6th grade math is offered 3 ways, 6, 6+ and 6+/7+, the latter is brand new this year for the top 3% of kids, and covers all of 6,7 and 1/2 of 8th grade math (designed purely for advanced 6th graders). My DS is already going to be beyond that class even if we keep him in 5th grade math, he will be taking honors 8th grade math for high school credit in 6th grade. Then, at least, he'd be in a class.

He's very interested in the advancement, always eager for more and has support at home from my engineer genius husband and his brother. We are concerned about the unknowns and very tumultuous past of the math tracks in our district esp with our state kicking Common Core out or at least, redrawing it.

Thoughts? I'm thinking we should go for it and worry about ramifications later. He wants to be an engineer or surgeon, he will use the math. There are several high school/dual enrollment ops in our area and I'm certain more will develop. I'd love for him to catch the attention of admissions people early and do believe having skipped two levels od math are indicative to them of his talent.

Thx for helping us sort through this menagerie or options,

Shannon

D
    D
    I'm so glad that they're on board with the acceleration.

Can you put him into an actual class at the middle school? That's what we've chosen. (The district actually bused DS as it was not walking distance.)

I think having peers is quite important, as is having personal contact with a teacher. Online isn't my favorite mode and certainly not for an elementary student.

I
    I
    I just found out our Davidson DS9 has qualified in our district for double advancement in math. Truly, he could grade skip but we're not there yet
    The Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS) is the recommended tool for documenting and assessing factors for a potential grade skip, in case that may be in your future.

I'd love for him to catch the attention of admissions people early and do believe having skipped two levels od math are indicative to them of his talent.
    How might a double acceleration in math catch the attention of college admissions early? Are you anticipating he may win a national competition, gain media attention for a perfect ACT/SAT score, be a National Merit Scholarship recipient, etc?

S
    sblora Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I wish they'd let him go next door, definitely pushing for it next year for the 7+ class. He will be taking it with a teacher here in the county just virtual, daily lesson, daily assignments and weekly checkins. They have changed some of the logistical problems they ran into with last year's dry run, even so, I know of no one who wishes they hadn't had their child do it.

I have suggested they look into the IAS in case a full skip really is the best option, I expect to hear back in the morning.

As far as colleges, we are in a very high density collegiate area with dual enrollment opps. I am thinking, could be wrong, that should he go that route or just simply complete more higher math courses, he would would garner notice in his transcript over the typical student. It is harder to get into our local state universities as a local kid, something about quotas.

Shannon

P
    P
    It sounds good to me although I bet if he could walk to the middle school he would only have missed the review lessons. Do they have separate teachers for maths? Here we don't until high school which makes it harder to go to another class for one subject.

S
    sblora Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    My older ds11 is taking the course currently, so we know what he's missed. He completed the test review sheet my ds11 had with little problem even without explicit instruction, so I'm much more hopeful this is the right move. smile Unless my older ds gets bumped as some other kids have moved this week (our EOGs just came in), my two sons will be taking the course concurrently with different teachers (one online, one in middle school).

We do have what's called "team teaching" where the SME for math/sci and ELA split the multiple classes so they can focus on what each teacher teaches well. The school has also shifted into "blocks" of time to make movements between grades simpler than in prior years--this is a change to help implement the newly revised AG standards that our state mandates--also now push in, rather than pull out in elementary. However, my son is the only one in the school (of 1200) who has subject accelerated, so we are a work in progress smile.

thanks for the opinions!

Shannon

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM