Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Hello,

DS9 was just tested for a number of issues. He has hated school since he was small and struggled even more this past year. He will enter 5th grade in the Fall.

On the WISC-IV he received a VIC of 144/99.8% and a Working Memory score of 71/3rd%.

From this enormous disparity I can understand why he is so frustrated at school. We have a number of recommendations for an IEP made by the tester -- and for things we should do. I've already set him up to see a therapist.

Does anyone have any insight into helping a child with this kind of disparity? I've read a lot about the kinds of depression and suicidal behavior that can result from someone with NLD feeling misunderstood and alienated. I feel sad and scared for him.

Any insight on this issue or how to approach the IEP meeting and his new teacher would be greatly appreciated.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I assume you have taken a look at parent resources, such as:

http://www.ncld.org/types-learning-...isorders/nonverbal-learning-disabilities

How you approach the IEP meeting and new teacher will depend on the exact deficits with which he presents. There is a fair amount of variability among children Dx with NVLD, partly because there is a lack of consensus on the diagnostic criteria, and whether it is truly a Dx of its own, or a subcategory on the mild end of ASD.

With WMI that low, I would expect challenges in math, especially automaticity of math facts. If that is the case, yet he has comprehension of higher level math concepts (for instance), then I would look for a calculator accommodation for problem-solving tasks. ("When the instructional focus is on problem solving, DS may benefit from access to calculation supports, such as a calculator, abacus, or fact chart.") He should be getting opportunities for overlearning and multiple exposures, and accommodations that have to do with the oral and visual presentation of instruction. ("Keep oral instructions clear, concrete, and concise." "Repeat and rephrase." "Have DS restate directions in his own words, to insure that he has accurately understood and remembered them.") I am assuming that the PRI was significantly lower as well, given the Dx. ("Keep visual materials clear and uncluttered." "Present visual stimuli one at a time, allowing adequate time for DS to examine them and request clarification, if needed.")

If there are other academic needs, obviously those should be addressed. He may have handwriting or written language difficulties (not unusual in NVLD, even with excellent reading skills). Often the written language issues, if not an outgrowth of handwriting/fine-motor, are related to organization. Organization in general, is likely to be a challenge as well. Might want to discuss that, too, wrt keeping an agenda of assignments, homework completion, organizing materials, time management/long-term assignments.

On the social end: One of the tricky things with a 2e kid with NVLD is that they can be very inconsistent--they take asynchrony to a new level, really. For an average cognition kid with NVLD, I would recommend to teachers that they avoid sarcasm, irony, and figurative or allusive language. But with a VCI of 144, he may very well grasp the figurative language--most days. Sarcasm, likewise, depending on the context. Teachers do have to be careful about body language and tone of voice, though, which is what cues most of us to sarcasm. So, not knowing your son, I would suggest that teachers be alert to the possibility of him misinterpreting such language, especially when it comes to dealing with emotional or behavioral challenges. That is, be aware that an apparent overreaction to some social-emotional situation or incident may make a lot more sense if one factors in the failure to accurately read tone of voice or body language, and that bringing such a situation to resolution should take into account misinterpretation, rather than solely misbehavior.

With his level of intellect, he might benefit from a structured social skills group (in which he can learn the "rules" for social interaction). The gold standard is "Skillstreaming the Elementary School Child", Dr. Ellen McGinnis (based on the work of Dr. Arnold Goldstein) (Research Press).

http://www.amazon.com/Skillstreamin...ocial/dp/0878226559/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

If there are existing social-emotional concerns, I would request that the school counselor (guidance, adjustment, or school psychologist, depending on what's available in your building) be placed on the IEP as a consult service, or as a direct service, if you can get the social skills group written into the plan. (In some buildings, speech/language paths run the SS groups, which is also fine.)

Make sure you discuss bullying in the meeting, even if he has never experienced any bullying (on either end). NVLD kids are highly vulnerable to victimization, as they are easily "set up". And middle school, as most of us know, is a vicious environment in most places.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    Aeh is such an invaluable resource to these boards! So much good information in the previous post.

My DD9 was diagnosed "NLD-ish" but she lacks the social issues. Her scores ranged from above the 99th percentile to below the 1st percentile. Neuropsych said "it's a useful diagnostic concept" and "it's easier than saying super high verbal along with dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyspraxia, math disability, etc." Reading about kids with NLD is sobering to say the least. Once I absorbed the gyst of it I have tried to avoid reading too much - it gets very overwhelming. The same thing is true for DD's slow processing speed. Very, very dark anecdotal information so I try not to let myself go there too often.

There is a Gifted-NLD discussion board on Yahoo but you have to email the moderator to be admitted. Just tell him you recently got a diagnosis and a bit about your scores and you will be admitted. Lots of folks there with lots of experience.

For my DD the biggest issues have been with math, handwriting and encoding. She is in an out of district placement at a spec Ed school where her program includes an 8th grade reading comprehension group, strong focus on the use of assistive technology, reading intervention (they use Wilson), lots of OT and speech and support for math. It is hard to get people to understand that she doesn't actually have the social skill issues you would expect to see - in fact it's an area of strength for her. She loves symbolism and poetic language, is extremely sensitive to body language, tone of voice and nuance - everything you would expect her to be weak in. In other words not everything you read about NLD and the challenges these kids face will necessarily apply to your DS.

One thing I found really helpful when reading up on NLD was that homework should be limited or excluded. The idea is that the school day is so challenging for these kids asking them to do more school work at the end of the day is counterproductive, I presented this to the school and they agreed to forego homework. DD works *very* hard during the school day and maintains her focus very well. She may have some project based assignments to work on and we have her read every night but no written homework, math worksheets, etc. Its a trade off - skip those and have her focus intensely at school or struggle with homework and have less cooperation in school. This works much better for us.

Hope it helps to know you're not alone!

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thank you very much AEH and Pemberley,

I'm a bit overwhelmed by all of this. DS does have high comprehension of math but struggles with "sloppy" mistakes. He also has a lot of writing issues including an inability to use pencils because of how they sound and feel.

He also struggles with passage comprehension, although he is otherwise a very advanced reader.

AEH - you have a lot of very helpful suggestions here. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer.

Pemberley, I do worry alot about the social aspects and some of the long term anecdotal information you talk about. It does help to hear from someone else on this.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM