Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 248 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #197411 07/30/14 04:39 AM
    Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ds is homeschooled, most of his curricula is at least 2 years ahead. He's a late birthday, so we usually answer the next grade when people ask, but nothing officially has been done as far as our school board is concerned.
    Do we just use his age grade?

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    For cognitive testing, the default should always be age norms, for which his grade level is irrelevant. Grade norms come up mainly when 1), a child has been retained, and 2), they are extremely young, and there is a concern about hitting the test ceiling. And these really only apply to achievement. 1 doesn't apply here, and 2 doesn't apply to the WJ. You should have them use age norms for both cog and ach.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I would ask for a report using age norms. However, if your evaluator is amenable, it would be interesting to know two additional things: his percentile ranks for the grade he is working at and (if those are 95+) for what grade level his scores would place him at the 90th percentile.

Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ok, so I have 2 reports for the same test, both say "compared to a representative sample of children the same age." That sounds like age normed to me, which the psych verified. One report has his age grade listed, one has the grade ahead. (She gave us the grade ahead first, by mistake, we asked for a report with the age grade listed because this was for our school board's homeschool requirements.) the report with his age grade has a 21 point difference in his total achievement, which is a DYS qualifying score. I don't want to "cheat the system" though, so I'm not sure which one is more accurate. This is for achievement testing, not IQ, we will do the iq piece in a few weeks.

Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    He did score 95% for the skipped grade, so that's validating if we were to officially skip him.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    From the standpoint of school board reporting, they want to know how he is doing compared to a public school-educated student of the same age...because, yk, those homeschoolers, they don't teach their kids anything... wink

I would imagine the same applies to DYS (for different reasons, of course!)

Good to know he's at the 95%ile for the skipped grade, which means you're definitely not putting him in over his head with regard to his instructional level. A number of school systems in NA actually use this as part of the testing standard for double promotion (scores at least 95%ile on an achievement test normed for the receiving grade).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    That make sense. Thanks for your help!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM