Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 165 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Yeah, it's a jump back and forth lol. DS9 is at camp and DS13 is being antisocial with me right now so I am on the computer wink

J
    OP Offline
    J
    OK, so we just finished with his psych appointment. He wasn't tested today but he is scheduled for next Monday. His psych isn't doing the entire KTEA, just the math testing. He does want to test DS9 with the WISC V. The psych goes through his training next month for it and was in DC last week learning about it. After he is trained up DS9 will be tested.

One thing we did talk about was during the WISC IV we found he is not verbally gifted (which I already knew) but he is in the above average range at 123. His working memory was rated as very superior. The psych thinks the WISC V will give a much more in depth and true rating of his abilities.

L
    L
    jaggirl47, have you read Developing Math Talent? I am reading it now, and you might find it interesting, too. Prufrock Press: Developing Math Talent

Last edited by Loy58; 08/11/14 05:44 PM.
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    No I haven't. That is something I will look at when I have more time to read (after school starts back!). DS9 is enrolled in JHU CTY and is doing math courses through them. He starts 4th grade next month and will be in pre-algebra. His psych recommended we apply for the Charles Wright Academy. It is very expensive but they offer excellent scholarships.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    OK, so DS9 took 2 math subtests on the KTEA today. We are attempting to get his actual math levels. He took about 45 minutes on the 2 subtests and came out smiling saying he had a lot of fun. He also said that he was able to do all of it minus 3 questions.

What do the math subtests consist of and what exactly are the 2 subtests?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    There is a calculation subtest, which is a series of progressively more challenging math problems of various types, in isolation. (I.e., just a naked math problem in a box, with negligible language.) Completed as a paper and pencil task, not timed.

The reasoning subtest consists of mostly word problems, presented orally. Some can be solved without paper and pencil, others might require scratch paper. Multi-step problems and applications are the emphasis. Also not timed.

The KTEA-III, which just came out, also has a fluency subtest, which is how fast you can write your math facts down. Timed, clearly.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    He just did 2 subtests because we have fluency tests already from school and his processing speed and working memory are both in the very superior range. I'm really hoping this helps us see exactly what he needs. We are applying for a new school next year so fingers crossed!

M
    M
    I saw that someone already recommended Developing Math Talent, parts of which I found helpful with our mathy DS. I also found several parts of this talk on developing problem solving skills very helpful:

http://mathprize.atfoundation.org/a...ntation_at_Math_Prize_for_Girls_2009.pdf

Hmm, just realizing this may be off topic. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM