Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Does anyone insure their musical instruments (for damage/theft)? What kind of policy have you purchased and what is the ratio of premium to cost?

As we graduate to more expensive instruments and into middle school, I am thinking this may be a good idea. In particular, DS can be rather absent-minded and sometimes careless.

We didn't opt for the insurance, but check with your local shop because ours did offer a service plan that covered repairs and a clean up/tune up once a year.

Your homeowners may cover loss/damage, so ask your agent about any coverage. But be aware that making even one claim may jack your rates. I looked at Farmer's online and they specifically cover loss/theft even outside of your home. You just have to report it immediately.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thanks - I'll definitely check our homeowners policy. It's the issue of loss or damage while at school that has me concerned.

N
    N
    Depends on how much it costs. I know someone who just dropped $9K on an instrument, and they could have spent a lot more. And it is a portable instrument. I would insure that.

On the other hand, I got a clarinet on eBay for under $200, though folks at a local music store said they would sell it for over $1K. I did not insure the clarinet, though maybe I should have (because it is my eldest, who loses/destroys stuff far more often than her younger sisters).

M
    M
    We insured our son's instrument through a $7 a year rider on our homeowners. I think it was more for peace of mind than anything, because it isn't super valuable (but even a halfway decent upright bass isn't cheap).

M
    M
    http://www.allthingsstrings.com/Ins...How-to-Buy-Adequate-Instrument-Insurance

The article mentions the company below:

http://www.anderson-group.com/student/#

and their rate is really reasonable. We are thinking about insuring one of DD's instruments. It's under $1,000 but if she breaks it and we have to replace it, we'd definitely feel it.

K
    K
    Did you purchase the instrument or are you renting it? We are renting DD's Viola because we anticipate that if she likes it (she is just starting this school year) and grows, she will need to be upgraded. With the rental comes insurance (I am sure we are paying for it and the cost is padded into the rental price) but it covers theft, damage, and cleaning or exchanging of any part or the actual instrument if something goes wrong, at school or home or anywhere.

M
    M
    When we were renting, the dealer offered optional insurance for $7 a month but it did not cover damages caused by negligence so we didn't get it.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Yeah, I would not bother to insure a few hundreds but a few thousands is a different matter.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    $7 isn't much so definitely worth it. I'll just have to put that call to the insurance company on my to-do list.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM