Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 147 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #197229 07/26/14 07:36 AM
    N
    NCPMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    My son turned 11 last month, and will be starting 6th grade in MS in August. He will be in a brand new Honors Gifted program, which is pretty exciting. Couple of days ago we got a letter stating that he will be in an 8th grade accelerated math class. He has always been advanced one year in math (last year he was transported to and fro the middle school for 6th grade math each day). I'm a little worried that he will have some huge gaps, but am so happy that they are doing this. He is alternatively worried and excited smile This is the kid that I have always been in denial about - is he 'really' gifted ? I'm still not convinced - we'll see how it goes !

NCPMom #197231 07/26/14 07:54 AM
    N
    N
    What course is 8th grade accelerated math? Here that would be Geometry.

I wouldn't worry too much. I said our middle kid wasn't college material when she was four. She is in the accelerated math track in our district, taking Calc this year in 11th grade. She hasn't had any issues in math. However, we have decided that she is college material.

Best of luck in MS!

NCPMom #197232 07/26/14 08:01 AM
    Eighth grade math is pre-algebra. My daughter (now 17) took this track. She took Algebra in 7th and Geometry in 8th and just finished college Calc I in 11th. She'll take Stats in 12th. It is a good program and they are ready for Algebra. Hope he enjoys it all. My daughter did.

NCPMom #197233 07/26/14 08:15 AM
    C
    C
    Ellipses, here 8th grade advanced math is algebra I, regular 8th grade math is pre algebra....super duper rare advanced can take geometry but would need to do it online through the state online school.

It varies by state. And even district.

Cookie #197256 07/26/14 01:46 PM
    A friend of mine is in a district where 8th grade math is algebra, honors is geometry.

In terms of gaps - I wouldn't be too worried about it. In a lot of places 7th grade math is basically a repeat of 6th grade, and it isn't until 8th that there are some big differences. However, gt kids who are advanced in math usually fill the gaps on their own as they learn the new material. If it would make you feel better, you could always just talk with the math teacher at the beginning of the year and explain the skip and ask if they would inform you of anything that seems to be missing and you could have him fill it in at home.When our DD skipped a few grades it was just really a matter of speed as opposed to understanding that held her back at first. She hadn't had the time to really cement the processes in before she was applying them in her higher math class, but she quickly got over that hurdle and did fine. In fact she liked the harder math because it was more interesting so as a result she didn't even notice the gaps as being an issue, and neither did her teacher.
    Congrats on the course assignment smile

NCPMom #197324 07/28/14 11:36 AM
    Q
    Q
    Congratulations! It sounds like an exciting new path. Well, he completed 6th grade math last year so he is technically skipping 7th grade math, which may or may not be much of a leap. You'll have to check your district's curriculum. In general, I wouldn't worry too much as long as your DS is on board although clearly you would want to keep an eye on his progress.

In our district, 8th grade accelerated/gifted math is Geometry. If he is in fact skipping Algebra I, I would just recommend testing him yourself to make sure that he has mastered Algebra I since while he won't need it for Geometry this year, he will need it for Algebra II next year.

NCPMom #197333 07/28/14 01:10 PM
    N
    N
    8th Grade accelerated is Geometry. Unless you are in the magnet program and most of them have it in 7th Grade.

NCPMom #197344 07/28/14 03:43 PM
    N
    N
    Congrats! How nice to see a school adding a program for our kids!

In our district, 8th grade gifted honors math is algebra 2/trig, because the high school teaches the algebras successively, followed by geometry. I don't know of other districts doing it this way.

NCPMom #197360 07/28/14 08:12 PM
    C
    C
    Under Common Core, 8th grade math is 8th grade math :-) It has bits and pieces of all math areas- but it looks very similar to previous course outlines for "Pre-Algebra"
    http://www.corestandards.org/Math/Content/8/introduction/

A very accelerated group would be Algebra 1 in 8th grade.

If you're super bored, you can read all the Common Core math acceleration, compaction and standards- http://www.corestandards.org/assets/CCSSI_Mathematics_Appendix_A.pdf

CAMom #197363 07/28/14 09:53 PM
    Originally Posted by CAMom
    Under Common Core, 8th grade math is 8th grade math :-) It has bits and pieces of all math areas- but it looks very similar to previous course outlines for "Pre-Algebra"
    http://www.corestandards.org/Math/Content/8/introduction/

A very accelerated group would be Algebra 1 in 8th grade.

If you're super bored, you can read all the Common Core math acceleration, compaction and standards- http://www.corestandards.org/assets/CCSSI_Mathematics_Appendix_A.pdf

Now there is some much awaited relief!

The Maths Common Core now appears to acknowledge the need for a compacted curriculum when dealing with highly able students!

Become what you are

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM