Originally Posted by Helianthus
Originally Posted by st pauli girl
My kiddo did not like pre-k for many reasons, though it was no academic. He just wanted to be home with me and doing his own thing.

Yes, this is my kid exactly. He has been at his current preschool for almost two years and I don't think he's ever been excited about it. But his face lights up when he knows he gets to stay home on weekends. I really want him to find something to like about school, so I'm hoping that K will give him some pieces of what he needs (even if it's not the perfect solution).

I think the early school years are the hardest. Kids think that they are finally going to learn something when they get to K, and they are disappointed. I suggest giving a realistic view of what kindergarten will be like, and hopefully you will have some sympathetic teachers who "get" that your kid really wants to learn more. My son cried pretty much every day before kinder and said he didn't want to go.... On the bright side, after finding a fulltime GT program for highly gifted kids after the grade skip, he liked school much better. smile