Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 260 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #196427 07/14/14 11:03 AM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    https://www.tenmarks.com/login

Our middle school principal emailed parents about the TenMarks Summer Math Program. TenMarks was acquired by Amazon in 2013. Its site says its curriculum "has the depth and rigor of the new CCSS and state standards". At least for the summer it is free. Once a parent has created an account she can create an account for each of her children. You are asked to specify the grade your child has completed, and the program will start by assessing knowledge of math at that grade level. There is no verification of grade level, so your child could start with the math of a higher grade. My 8yo used it for about 40 minutes yesterday and wanted to do more today. I'll have the other two children try it too.

Bostonian #196428 07/14/14 11:27 AM
    22B Offline
    We've just signed up for EPGY, so probably will bookmark this, but won't check it out just now.

But I'm curious to hear what you end up thinking about it.

Bostonian #196437 07/14/14 01:39 PM
    Q
    Q
    Oh, Bostonian, you beat me to it. I meant to post about TenMarks as well. Our district has a link for all the students to sign up for it for the summer since it is free for the summer. I signed up my kids a few weeks ago. Keep in mind you should input their math grade rather than their school grade. For example, DD is an incoming 6th grader who is scheduled for Pre-Algebra so she registered as an a 7th grader (standard grade for Pre-Algebra here) to get review topics from 6th grade math plus some challenge topics from 7th grade math (elementary math/Pre-Algebra). Although we had to input our school when we registerd, it does allow (even encourage) you to change the "grade" at will if the assessment results warrant it. Of course, this would wipe out all the previous assignments but no big deal if it was an obvious bad fit. The alternative is simply to customize your own program since the parent can add/delete topics/assignments at will. Actually, it encourages you to do so to get a more accurate fit. Basically, it provides an assessment, and the result determines which topics/assignments to do. DD has about 40+ topics. I believe the program is designed to be completed with just one hour a week (for 3 assignments)over three months, so essentially thirteen hours of work. Keep in mind that it can be much shorter for a fast kid and much longer for a slow kid. DS, who is mathy, can complete an assignment in 5-15 minutes (occasionally a bit shorter and occasionally a bit longer). Obviously, you can spend as much time as you want by adding more topics.

According to my kids, it is better than Aleks, mostly because it is more fun. According to my DD, it teaches better than ALEKS since you can access the instruction and hints at will. My assessment would be that it is not particularly worthwhile for a mathy kid like DS, who is better off with competition type math or discrete math topics not taught in school. It is pretty good for DD who is not mathy but bright enough to breeze through standard GT curriculum. I am finding it useful mostly for my cognitively impaired oldest, who has completed Algebra I, II and Geometry, but hasn't done school math in a while and can use review and opportunities to exercise his brain. This program, like most others, are geared toward the average students but can work for garden variety GT students. In that market, it is probably better than Study Island as well.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 07/14/14 01:57 PM.
    22B #197297 07/28/14 05:23 AM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by 22B
    We've just signed up for EPGY, so probably will bookmark this, but won't check it out just now.

But I'm curious to hear what you end up thinking about it.
    All three of my children have now tried TenMarks, and they all prefer EPGY. They say TenMarks is boring, but they say that about a lot of things. Having watched my children use it, I think it's a reasonable program.

EPGY has mailed postcards saying their software will be available on iPads and iPhones by the end of the July. The children are looking forward to that.

Bostonian #197312 07/28/14 08:59 AM
    22B Offline
    Thanks for the update.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM