Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Mahagogo5- mine are gifted at giving me grey hair too!

I probably would be able to accept he is MG, but I worry that because he is HG if he is also 2e that he behaves like he is MG. So I need to keep looking until I rule it out.

However, if anxiety is his problem (which I think it is) my being anxious about it is probably NOT helping...LOL

X
    X
    HG children can become lazy , If there isnt any challenge in their school or in their daily life. They may need more help to reach their potential. they may become easily underachiver.They may not have friends around their age peers.they can be pushy children towards their family,they may comit suitcide.....etc If you never sense something wrong with your children as a mother,If you are handling everything good, doesn't matter wheather they are HG or not, live with them happily. As a mother of gifted child my heart always in ache, my DS has always problems. Even He was less than 30 days old, he was making himmmm himmm sounds between crying and trying to talk and complaint.The day like that, it happened offen when he was taking bath and we realized that if we put him in the water again, crying and complaining was getting disappear.so We found ourself explaining everythings to our baby son to make him understand and relax. what am I trying to say this. So many gifted children"s parents have to handle difficulties even without knowing reason, they are seeking help and need IQ testing result for the hope for helping their children.I dont want my son become a scientist, win a award. I want him to be like your children happy in the house and at the school.

Last edited by xsantos; 08/10/14 04:00 AM.
    T
    T
    I feel your confusion...
    I was sure DS7 was MG. Maybe more than that in the nonverbal domain. And I thought that must be about DHs ballpark as well, and mine in the verbal domain. Now it turns out that my goofy, anxious little boy, who taught himself to read at five and mostly has his head in the clouds, has a FSIQ of 154.
    I am reassessing my own childhood, reassessing my two younger kids, reassessing kids I know who struck me as the "not that bright" variety...
    You just can't tell from the outside. It makes me wonder what is yet to come.

P
    P
    Here too. 95th I could see, >99.9 no he seems pretty normal too me. I also have to continually stop thinking of ds5 as not so bright - his fsiq is only at the 98.8th petcentile. I think we are just a bit warped in our perception. I think the amazing achievements things come down to personality and passion.

G
    G
    Reviving an old thread here that resonates with me...

Originally Posted by madeinuk
    I think that the stereotype of say, reading by 2 years old, discovering new elements, a more elegant proof of Fermat's last theorem and completing an Ngala opera by age 4 and decoding the mystery of Andean quipas by 7 is really damaging. I felt embarrassed and presumptuous for even testing my DD for giftedness until I found that my DD who didn't learn to read until about five and a half is apparently gifted.

My DD is a normal (ish) 9 year old that happens to have a GAI > 99.9 percentile an FSIQ at the 99.8 %'tile. While she can be intense and preternaturally observant but she will also play my little pony, Wii or just goof around with the boys and girls that are her friends.
    Yes! So very much this! We look at DS (now 7) and see a normal, socially outgoing little kid most of the time who likes to play tag with his friends and wrestle with his parents. We have remind ourselves that most kids do not, when given the choice to watch Netflix, watch an entire season of Cosmos in a few days and remember it all the following week.

Originally Posted by aeh
    Help them to feel loved, valued, and secure as human beings, without conditions associated with performance or accomplishment, and you will have laid the foundation for them to explore and discover their talents and interests, in their own time.

AEH - these words are such a comfort to me. I've been clinging to some unarticulated version of them in my head, just trying to let DS7 grow into himself. To hear them expressed this way by a professional in the field is a such a relief. Apparently I haven't blown it yet!

LAF,

Your DS7 sounds very, very similar to mine - both as to assessment profile and "ambitions." I can't point to achievements in any traditional way that would make people see his PG-ness, or be more tolerant of his 2e-ness (GAI 178; PSI 94; dysgraphic, stealth dyslexia - maybe; really struggles with social/emotional stuff). He didn't read early. He knows ... stuff ... but he is utterly resistant to showing anybody what he knows or can do. It's some sort of extreme privacy thing for him. I get glimpses when he slips up and corrects me, or blurts out something he "shouldn't" know. But for the most part, he looks like a not very well-behaved and otherwise ordinary second grader.

He doesn't show drive to learn physics or chemistry or math or chess or music or languages or much of anything at all, with one Notable Exception. The Notable Exception changes from time to time, usually lasting a year or two. During the Notable Exception's term - there is nothing else worth learning about at all. Nothing. At all. The rest is a "Stupid Waste of My Valuable Time" (direct quote from DS).

Currently, the notable exception is Magic the Gathering. Outside this not very "showy" arena, DS just looks ordinary and fairly disinterested.

Unless - perhaps - they happened by Channel Fireball Game Center on a Magic the Gathering pre-release weekend and saw him happily chatting with and playing against his randomly selected, almost always adult opponents. Winning, sometimes. And losing with grace and a handshake, too, which would be unimaginable for him in other competitions. It's like he's a different person then.

But - that really won't get me far in any discussions with the school about his profile or whatever. Sometimes I think, "if only it was chess rather than Magic." But that's just me wishing I could make MY life easier by having something I could point to. To show how different he is. So people would say wow and be more tolerant of his largely unsuccessful struggle to fit in.

This is longer than I meant it to be. But I wanted you to know that there are other "no visible signs" kids are out there. I'm sticking with "no visible signs - yet" for a while longer.

Sue

B
    B
    DD scored a higher GAI than DS (DD was 150--higher if you calculate extended norms), but she does not come across as that bright. She comes across as having maybe a 130+ IQ, and that is just based on academic ability, not how she behaves in daily life (and that's what her FSIQ is, 135). I think it's a case of her not looking either gifted or disabled because she's 2e, although every once in a while she does something that really surprises me. She was an early reader and looked a lot more advanced when she was in preschool than she does now.

DS doesn't test as high (although when he was tested he had a traumatic brain injury recently, so who knows), but he comes across to me as being more stereotypically gifted (for instance reading the Bible because he's fascinated by it as a historical document, watching documentaries, etc). He took some stupid facebook quiz on geography and then the Civil War and scored better than both me and Dh. You can see the wheels in his head constantly turning, whereas DD would be happy thinking about Pokemon all day. I think IQ tests measure a very limited set of abilities, and creativity and curiosity really aren't included, so that explains some of the differences I see in my own kids.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM