Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Q
    Q
    I called it reading when my kids were able to take an unfamiliar book (K level picture books included) and read it from beginning to end.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Actually, I need to point out that decades of research on phonological awareness (of which phonics is a component) in reading has pretty clearly established that all fluent readers of phonetic languages use phonological skills in reading. Development is slightly different in transparent or near-transparent (translucent?) languages, such as Finnish or Spanish, than in creoles like English, but the general principles appear to generalize across phonetic languages.

The critical difference is that ~70-75% of kids pick up the necessary phonological processing skills regardless of the type or presence of reading instruction they receive. Even if you think you don't read phonetically, you use phonological processes to read; they just aren't routinely exposed unless you encounter novel vocabulary. The remaining 25-30% of people need explicit instruction in at least some component of phonological processing to become fluent readers (some need only a few extra exposures, which is why practice helps).

And, as a side note, it is not true that written Chinese has absolutely no phonetic basis. While it is true that the language is primarily ideographic/pictographic in nature, some of the radicals are sound radicals, or can be used as sound radicals, which give some indication of the phonemes to be used in pronouncing the characters. There is also a native phonetic system (bopomofo) used in a number of Chinese-speaking (by which I mean Mandarin) regions of the world (but mostly Taiwan, ROC) to cue young children as they are learning to read. The romanized pinyin system is used somewhat similarly in the PRC.

Good points! It seems that many kids here can intuit these principles, or only require minimal instruction. But this is not the case for most kids. It's really amazing to see DS "just know" how to read, when for years I've watched NT kids muddle through the "process" in the classroom.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    notnafnaf, you probably would have done better with some true phonemic awareness training as a precursor, instead of just phonics, so that the distinguishing-the-sounds part of reading would make more sense. The sounds should not sound the same, unless there is some underlying phonological processing issue. This is part of what Lindamood is supposed to remediate.

And on phonics and Chinese: I did once see a student who appeared to have a language-based learning disability (of which dyslexia is the most familiar example), compounded by a very complex language environment (multiple dialects of Chinese at home, but no English, and multiple languages in school, including English, a middle eastern language, and an eastern European language). In the team meeting, I was struck by how similar the presentation of one of the parents was to the child, in contrast to their high professional achievement level. I remember wondering to myself if the low-phonetic nature of written Chinese might have allowed this parent to progress through the Chinese educational and professional academic system without any obstacles from hidden dyslexic tendencies, up until becoming a visiting scholar in the USA forced them to confront their language weaknesses in the form of English. Not that the individual was acknowledging the weakness, as the English-poor, professional parent kept insisting that the other parent didn't speak much English, although it was patently clear from a brief conversation with both of them that the reverse was true.

This long anecdote just to explain why I started observing hidden family histories of reading disabilities in the immigrant parents of children with possible reading disabilities, and hypothesizing that our view of RD as a disability is significantly an outgrowth of our phonetic language. (No real data, but someone could make a nice little PhD dissertation out of it, I expect.) I suspect that if we could experimentally raise dyslexics in low-phonetic language societies, quite a few of them would not appear disabled.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Well yes, in the larger sense, dyslexia is entirely a culture-specific phenomenon. Our brains did not evolve for reading -- it is an extremely recent cultural invention. It should be no surprise that brains are imperfectly adapted to this artificial activity, and that some brains aren't very good at it. There is nothing "wrong" with those brains in a biological sense, and before the invention of literacy there would have been no conception of them having a "disability."

M
    M
    http://www.drru-research.org/data/resources/42/Paulesu-et-al-2001.pdf

It's an old article but it drives home the point that perhaps, it's not our brain that is the problem.

C
    cmguy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    So my guy asked me to stop doing the parent introductions on the little beginning reader books we have. Then he started reading the introductory paragraph (got this idea from someone on some other thread (thanks!) and was surprised he was able to read them).

He still does not like decoding - not sure if this is just a fear of failure thing or maybe he's tired or what. But we have fun with our books and that is what we try to focus on.

A
    A
    My little guy started reading product descriptions aloud in restaurant menus to make sure that what went into his pizza or sandwich or pasta was what he liked to eat! It was at that point that I realized that he could read any new material without previous instruction.
    So, I suggest that you put something that your child has never read before in front of him and see he can handle it.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    That is indeed a wonderful moment to share with your little guy!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    S
    S
    DD could read a long list of words (her favorite things and names of favorite people, which she asked me to write out for her) somewhere when she was one (she could read the words in any context/order), but I say she really read at two when she could read a whole little book (probably a combo of sight words and phonics; we always said letter sounds rather than names and would help her figure out words with a quick note about like sh or silent k etc). When I was curious about if she was reading or memorizing I'd just find a new book (like a different Suess or Gerald and Piggy book) and listen in (but these early readers can switch to silent reading really fast so keep that in mind! She fooled her kindy teacher at first because of that).

M
    M
    My first and third boys both memorised favourite book passages/books just before starting to read.

They both used the memorisation to work out which word was which from what we can tell.

Aiden struggled with phonics in reading, but the letter sounds made sense to him (possibly something to do with the school making him re-learn things he already knew ages ago?). I could say "c-a-t" and he would just repeat "c-a-t" he didn't know how to blend the sounds. If I showed him the word - he knew it was cat. The forced phonic lessons at school totally killed his delight and love of reading, and his displayed ability to read declined drastically while at pre-school/K. He figured out the phonetic sounds on his own only recently and it has helped his confidence in new material greatly.

Dylan (child #3) reads easy readers and loves demanding we write out lists of names and words he knows. Phonic sounds make sense to him, he blends and can sound out words and heard the sounds and make the word. He has recently discovered word families and is delighted at same sounding/looking words. I think he is still an emerging reader as to me, a reader is a child who can take a book and read it.

Child 2 - Nathan is a whole other kettle of fish. I have no idea of the process he used to start reading. As with everything else, he asked me to teach him, I sat down with a simple book and he read it to me and then asked for a trickier one, which he then read as well. Shortly thereafter he was reading whatever took his fancy. He is 5 now and prefers juicy story with interesting pictures. It's getting harder to find books that meet this criteria but that's another story for another thread.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM