Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 86 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    A
    amylou Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    My son just completed an intensive CS course at a nearby gifted summer camp - the instructor was from the state flagship and used a syllabus from the intro course there. DS has also done several programming courses over the last several years through NUMATS, and has also done some substantial programming projects on his own.

He'll be starting high school in Sept (9th grade) and we're trying to figure out what is a logical next step for him in CS, which seems more and more a likely career path for him. His high school offers AP CS, but we're pretty sure he's already covered the content. Can anyone advise whether it is generally permitted/advisable to take the AP test without taking the course?

If he takes (or possibly if he can demonstrate proficiency in) the CS topics taught at the high school, he may be eligible for dual enrollment to take CS courses at the local U while still in high school. But we're also interested in hearing about other summer options - courses taught at a fairly advanced level (for a high school student). We'd appreciate your recommendations!

B
    B
    Have you seen the post Davidson forum threads on programming resources? AOPS, EPGY, and John Hopkins CTY all offer programming courses.

My eldest son took the AOPS introductory Python course when he was 9 (I think). He learned some things and attended all the lectures, but the object-oriented programming was over his head. Now he is two years older and wants to retake the course.

To answer a question in your post -- the College Board has no rule against taking an AP exam without enrolling in a course. Homeschoolers often self-study for AP exams. If your high school allows him to take the AP exam along with the other students doing so, there is no problem.

A
    amylou Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks, Bostonian! Knowing our district, they are likely to resist letting him take the AP exam with the course, but knowing it is commonplace will be extremely helpful in advocating for that.

Also, thanks for the link - I tried but failed to find that on my own. But unfortunately, pretty much everything listed there is online and introductory level. I think what we're looking for now is a summer camp for kids who are already competent programmers.

O
    O
    Check with the HS guidance office about the possibility of internships with businesses that employee computer programmers. In our local school district they have a full time person that does nothing but arrange internships and job shadowing. Such opportunities can lead to many others in the business world.

Last edited by Old Dad; 07/24/14 08:51 AM.
    A
    amylou Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks, Old Dad, for another good suggestion - I will look into that too.

B
    B

Amylou
    My son has been dealing with the same problem. If your son takes your cc college entrance test he could take the cs classes there. You can avoid having to deal with your high school. He would not have to be enrolled in the dual enrollment program. Im not saying this for sure by you, but in our state you can.

R
    R
    I have a variety of controversial ideas... but first where is he at in math... this isn't limiting but my recommendations will vary depending...

For a summer CS activity, have you considered a home project? The best teacher is experience, and it also makes for great resume material.

Some suggestions:

- Write an iPhone game or Minecraft mod.
    - Provide him your financial information (pay stubs, credit card statements, etc) and ask him to produce a data analysis on where your money is going (makes for a great lesson in microeconomics, too), and what can be done better.
    - Build and secure a home server. Implement a recovery strategy (RAID, automated backups).

A
    amylou Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks, Barbarajean! Taking CS at a CC is another interesting idea - we'll look into that. One concern about *not* doing this as dual enrollment is that he'd have to take a full class load at the HS in addition. We'll have to see how demanding the HS curriculum is (we're getting mixed messages on that) - it would be a problem if his HS grades suffered due to the heavy load. While he's an excellent student in all academic subjects, time management has not been a strength….

A
    amylou Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by raptor_dad
    I have a variety of controversial ideas... but first where is he at in math... this isn't limiting but my recommendations will vary depending...

He just completed Honors Alg. 2/Trig. and earned A's. He'll take PreCalc this year. (I am still not sure what PreCalc is. Back in my day, we went straight from Alg. 2/Trig. to Calc.) He's also done a bit of calculus on his own, but not much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM