Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I don't have the full test results in front of me, but all I can say is I am floored. My DD had an IQ test on Friday. The tester called and let me know today that her IQ is 110. That just doesn't match up with my kid. She hits all the checklists for gifted. Using the Ruf Estimates she is a 5. I have looked at the Hoagies page and she was well advanced for all of her milestones. My IQ is in the PG range, while my husband is MG. She skipped K and still had straight A's in 1st. She screams HG+ with her insight and thought processes. I just don't understand.

My question is the tester indicated that there is a large difference between her VCI and PRI. I don't know the exact scores yet, but could this indicate a LD? The tester said she had to recheck the scores three times because she couldn't believe the score either.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Very possibly. If there is a sufficiently large difference, it renders the FSIQ/GAI of limited utility/validity. When you get them, feel free to either post the full scores, or pm me, if you prefer, and I'll be happy to take a look.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you so much!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Performance was higher. I only remember two of the subset scores she told me. I remember vocabulary was a 7 while matrix reasoning was 16.

P
    P
    There could be quite a few reasons for the difference in VCI vs PRI scores, including LD, vision, distraction, etc. Was this private testing or testing done through the school district? Will you have a follow-up meeting with the psych where you can ask questions?

If you don't mind posting the scores here, you may find other parents who've had similar score patterns. It's so tough to know anything with the limited info you have at this point - any infinite combination of score patterns might average out to FSIQ 110 with a difference in VCI and PRI. Will you get a full report from the psych?

Best wishes,

polarbear

M
    OP Offline
    M
    It was private testing. I talked to her on the phone, but she didn't really give me much indication as to what this all means. She is supposed to be putting the results in the mail in the next day or two. I will definitely post when I receive them. Thank you all so much!!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    I received the results today

Sum of scaled scores/composite
    VCI 28/96
    PRI 44/129
    WMI 18/94
    PSI 24/112
    FSIQ 114/110

Raw/ Scaled Subset scores
    VC
    Similarities 11/11
    Vocabulary 13/7
    Comprehension 12/10
    Information 12/12

PR
    Block Design 18/11
    Picture concepts 19/17
    Matrix Reasoning 19/16
    Picture completion 18/12

WM
    Digital Span 10/8
    Letter-number sequencing 9/10
    Arithmetic 10/9

PS
    Coding 43/11
    Symbol Search 26/13
    CA 45/9

I am not sure what all of this means. I just want to ensure she doesn't have a LD that we may not know about. I feel bad. I probably shouldn't have had her tested when I did. We completed a cross country move a couple of weeks ago, she was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea, and she knows I am leaving for several months in a couple of weeks. I think she may have been too stressed out for testing.

P
    P
    medphysnerd, I have a few thoughts for you - but please keep in mind, I'm not a professional, just a mom of two 2e kids, so take my thoughts for what they are - - just random thoughts from another mom, things you might want to think about.

My first suggestion is - can you ask for any follow-up thoughts from the tester? Was you dd compliant, on task, distracted, tired, etc during the testing? Did the tester notice any queues that might relate to issues with vision or attention? Did she stop early on any of the tests when the tester thought she might have been able to continue?

Originally Posted by medphysnerd
    I just want to ensure she doesn't have a LD that we may not know about.

There is a large difference between her VCI and PRI - enough that the FSIQ is (from what I understand) not valid. That doesn't necessarily mean she's got an LD, but it is something you'd probably want to first try to think through yourself - look up descriptions of each subtest and see how they differ, and compare that to your dd - does it match what you see in her academic performance at school?

The other large difference in the #s is Symbol Search - the example of Symbol Search that I saw when my kids were tested looks like a large "Where's Waldo" type of exercise - you have to find and circle specific repeated symbols in a large field of random symbols. The large difference there *might* be a red flag that there is a vision issue. If you haven't had her eyes checked by a regular eye dr, it's worth doing now, and it's also possible that the type of vision issue that could cause issues with Symbol Search are issues with how well eyes track together, peripheral vision etc - the types of issues a Developmental Optometrist checks for. The key is - a child may not realize they are having challenges with vision and she's young enough you might not be picking up on clues suggesting a vision issue. A few things you can look for (but they aren't "have to be happening" clues) - does she tilt her head in an odd way or wiggle in her chair or hold a book really close to her face when she's reading? Is she clumsy or does she bump into things a lot? Is she messy when she's eating - crumbs everywhere etc? Does she look into your eyes when she talks to you or does she avoid eye contact?

Re whether or not there is some kind of LD - if you determine that her vision is ok and that there are no other reasons to suspect the testing was somehow not accurate due to distractions/tiredness/etc - then the next step is typical further testing that would help determine why there is such a large gap between VCI/PRI and the dip in Symbol Search. These are the types of tests neuropsychologists typically run, and there are different types of tests based on what the neuropsych is trying to chase down based on their impressions (which typically include an interview with a parent covering school behaviors/academics, looking at examples of classroom work, and developmental history).

I probably shouldn't have had her tested when I did. We completed a cross country move a couple of weeks ago, she was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea, and she knows I am leaving for several months in a couple of weeks. I think she may have been too stressed out for testing.

While any of these might have impacted her test results, there is one thing that stands out to me on her testing as a reason *not* to dismiss the results out of hand - the subtest scores appear to be very consistent within each category (VCI/PRI/WM) other than PSI with the low Symbol Search score. VCI/WM/PSI scores also seem to be relatively consistent across groups. The consistency within each sub-group of subtests and the range-similarities of VCI/WM/PSI leads me to suspect that the test was probably representative of her abilities - with a HUGE caveat. It is *just* a test - if the overall results are lower than what you'd anticipated, it doesn't change who your caughter is - she is still the same girl with the same personality traits and intellectual insight you've already noted. IQ #s don't represent *everything*

Likewise, I am not a huge fan of the RUF categories - they are somewhat subjective and also among the gifted and not-so-gifted kids I've known, I haven't really seen a good correlation that supports having faith they can be used as a for-sure data point in identifying gifted children.

Last thought - if your dd is doing ok in school now, I'd take these results just as a data point, and watch what happens in school this next year. If your dd begins to struggle in any area or if she is falling behind what your gut feeling is telling you she's capable of, take her back for private testing one year from now but take her for a full psych-ed or neuropsych eval so that if there is a hint of LD, you can get in-depth testing to understand the root cause of the score discrepancies. You could also request the testing through the school, but many of us who have 2e children have found private testing to be invaluable.

I hope you're able to get some more feedback from the tester.

Best wishes,

polarbear

ps - a few other thoughts re her performance in school so far - if she has an LD, it might be "hiding" at this point in time due to her abilities to compensate for it. This happened with both of my 2e kids - they hit their brick walls in 2nd grade for my ds and 3rd grade for my dd - before that no one suspected they had any type of challenge. I also have a non-2e dd who had severe vision issues in early elementary, and they also weren't discovered until 3rd grade.

You mentioned that your dd skipped K - was she given any kind of assessment or testing prior to the skip? How do those results line up with the WISC results?

Last edited by polarbear; 07/22/14 04:15 PM.
    N
    N
    My DS (DYS, 2e) had that sort of WISC score, where it simply wasn't what everyone who knows him was expecting to see. A couple of years later, he was 20 points higher, but it's still 20 points or more away from where he ought to be. He just doesn't think the same way as the test does. Every other test, he's 99.9+, and always has been.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by squishys
    I have heard and read that mathematically gifted kids- boys, as far as I have discovered- reach their peak IQ at around 10.
    What's the source of this (and what does it mean)?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM