Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #196867 07/21/14 01:07 PM
    mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My DD is going into advanced algebra this fall but because she is the only student in her grade in a very small school taking that class, she has run into a scheduling problem. There are two classes that she really wants to take that are incompatible with her math this year. The first is band, which she loves, and the other is Spanish, which she and her friends were excited to take together.

My DD's desire is to take math as an independent study course, teaching herself the math and asking her dad or a teacher for help as needed, still turning in homework and taking tests during her study hall. We (DH and I, DD) think she would have no problem with this although we know having a teacher is ideal. The school is preliminarily unsure that is a good idea because in the past strong math students have found advanced algebra difficult. My DS just took the class last year and so my husband is very familiar with the content and he thinks DD would do well.

Has anyone tried independent study for math before? Is there a way to tell the school that DD is not just a good math student but is a >99.9% kid without it sounding wrong? What do you think of the idea?

She thought she could, so she did.
    E
    E
    I did something very like this in high school and it worked out fine. (I was taking calculus, but "proving" that I knew the math that I had tested out of over the summer by doing all the chapter tests for the skipped courses.)

I would probably emphasize your DH's facility with the material. Depending on your state policies, you could even characterize it as "partial homeschooling," although your DD would be doing the work in study hall instead of at home.

B
    B
    Since this is your DD's idea, I don't see why it won't work. One problem with this is the motivation. Sounds like her idea is to take the same tests as the other kids right? And probably all the same homework? It would really be a shame for her to have to miss band &/or Spanish.

We haven't done independent study for math. Although my DH did it when he was in junior high school with a college age tutor, quickly working though all of H.S. math. Can you show the school outside testing? You really might have to mention that she is a 99.9% kid. Can you get her algebra or geometry teacher to back you up?

P
    P
    mnmom, we haven't done this with math but we have run into a similar but slightly different argument from school when we were thinking of doing this for a science course - the school vetoed it by telling us that another student had tried the same path and that the course wasn't in-depth enough so it "didn't work out for her" - as in, it didn't work for one student so it won't work for *your* student. What I would do, in your case, when advocating is to ask what the specific issues were that the students in the past found difficult? Then have a plan to address those issues should they arise.

I really am somewhat dumbfounded (really!) by people who assume students will have trouble with Algebra II - I would guess that any child who is able enough to be accelerated in math is going to transition into, and do well, in Algebra II. I would use her IQ results as part of a "data package" when advocating - it isn't going to sound "wrong" or pushy - it's just part of the "package" that supports the ability to do independent work and to take Algebra II: she has a set of grades from previous classes and results from standardized achievement tests in math - those are proof of her achievement, recommendations from teachers (if she has them) + the IQ scores are supportive proof of her abilities.

If the school is specifically concerned about your dd not being present for lectures, then I'd suggest you look into online courses or taking the course at a local college where she can listen to the teacher's lectures. I don't think she necessarily *needs* this - particularly if she's good at math, but if it does turn into a stumbling block I think there are quite a few ways around it.

Good luck advocating!

polarbear

P
    P
    What is "advanced algebra" - Algebra II? Are we talking about middle school? Did she take Geometry and Algebra I?

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    My son did an independent study for geometry last year and the school gave him credit. This was a tiny private school that prides itself on its ability to be flexible. It worked out well.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    My #1 did something similar, also at a tiny private school, for algebra I. There were two students in the class, which was intermittently taught by an administrator who happened to moonlight as a math teacher at a local community college. Since he was squeezing instruction into his actual administrative position, he was sporadically called away, leaving the two kids with a classwork/homework assignment to do on their own. One of the helpful supports was a series of online instructional multimedia snippets that came with the curriculum (Pearson's Prentice Hall Algebra I Common Core, in case you're interested; they used the iPad etextbook version), including worked examples and guided practice problems.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks everyone. DD took Geometry last year in 8th and Algebra I in 7th grade. She got As both times with very little effort on her part, although her teacher never knew just how little effort it took. So she is on track to take Advanced Algebra (Algebra II) this year. The school has her IQ results, although I am not quite sure they realize what they mean. So while they know she is properly placed in math, I think they just think that she is a really bright student, much like all the other really bright kids in her school. She happens to be young for grade (turning 13 right after school starts) but I don't think they take that as an indication of her more unusual abilities. They see her as a ninth grader doing tenth grade math.

We are going to meet with the counselor in a couple weeks and so we are trying to formulate our case given that they have already expressed a lot of skepticism. So hearing other people's experiences is really helpful.

She thought she could, so she did.
    N
    ndw Offline
    N
    We haven't been in exactly the same position but have experience of trying to find a pathway that let's our DD13 work at the "right" level in math. She has been accelerated in math. We don't sequence math the way it is in the US but she is working at a year 11 advanced level while sitting in a year 10 class and nominally being a year 9 student. It is essentially a timetabling issue that means she can't be in the year 11 class so she has an external tutor for that material. She is good at maths but I am not sure it is her passion. She can teach herself math but finds that becomes dry and boring as it is simply moving through material. DD comes alive when she is being taught by a subject expert that she can engage with, debate with and question. She gets that from her tutor and that is the only thing keeping her going.

Because of timetabling clashes our DD spends between one and two periods a day in the library working alone, or with one other student, catching up on material they miss going by going to their math class. It isn't that much fun.

I guess I would just be aware that being able to learn the material alone doesnt necessarily have the same impact as having the guidance of a genuine expert who can feed the flame of learning. But I know we don't always get that choice and we have to do the best with what we have. DD hates math at school as it doesn't move at the pace and level she needs despite acceleration. That alone is not enough for her. The tutor has been essential but I think she craves being with other like minds who she can learn with and from.

Is there any option to partial home school and utilize other means of learning such as online classes, college classes, a mentor or tutor? Is there a passionate teacher who might be prepared to work with her? Has the school offered any options of their own if they are reluctant to go with your plan?

P
    P
    Originally Posted by mnmom23
    Thanks everyone. DD took Geometry last year in 8th and Algebra I in 7th grade. She got As both times with very little effort on her part, although her teacher never knew just how little effort it took. So she is on track to take Advanced Algebra (Algebra II) this year.
    So, your DD is going to be a high school freshman? In this case you should be prepared to discuss non-academic questions, e.g - how many years of HS math does your school require? how many classes beyond Algebra II they offer? how many years of foreign language they require (in case you'll decide to sacrifice Spanish)? how this skip will affect your DD GPA and class rank (if you have one)?
    As for the academic part, in the similar situation my son took a year-end test, and was placed into higher level class. Is it possible in your school? Can your DD can test out of Algebra II?
    If your school's math department is strong, and kids are bright, class discussion is very valuable, nothing can replace it, and even taking Statistics is better then skipping a year of math (and colleges might not like this skip either, assuming your DD is going to major in STEM).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM