Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #196880 07/21/14 05:52 PM
    LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So... I know my DS's and my DD's WISC scores qualify them, but I'm stumped on the Achievement Tests / Portfolio.

My DS9 is doesn't seem academically inclined, has slow processing and appears to be working at grade level and shows no real interest at working higher. So I'm not sure how he would do on an achievement test. For example, I have both DD9 and DD7 working on Dreambox because I thought it would give me a little bit of an idea if they were working above grade because of the pretests (if they know the material already the pretest will skip them up). DS9 has not had the pretests skip him up yet, and he's still on 3rd grade level (but he's already finished 3rd and going into 4th at his school). My DD7 has on the other hand skipped some material and in 3 hours has almost tested out of 1st grade on DB (but she just finished 1st grade and is going into 2nd at her school). So it appears that both are not really working above grade or at the top of their grade.

I'm pretty sure my DD9 is reading at at least the 6th or 7th grade level however. My daughter is reading at grade level but it not a big reader (yet). I suspect that will change as soon as she feels like she's good at it.

My understanding is that they need a portfolio of work that shows that they are working above grade, right?

So what are my options? If any?

LAF #196882 07/21/14 06:02 PM
    L
    L
    Hi LAF,
    Why not have your DS9 take the EXPLORE? We found the EXPLORE useful for DD9, a DYS, both for the achievement portion, as well as for a potential tool for academic advocacy. The results were a bit of a wake up call, to say the least. Grade level tests are only going to tell you so much, especially if your DC are not challenged - that is where the EXPLORE comes in. It sounds like this may be the last year it is offered before the switch to Aspire, so I think that would be a good option for your DS9.

The EXPLORE is tightly timed, but is your DS eligible for accommodations (more time)? If you are worried about the time, you could also try the WIAT or WJ.

Since your DD7 needs to wait until 3rd grade for the EXPLORE, perhaps have her take the WIAT or WJ Ach.?

I don't know that I'd get too hung up on what sounds like initial Dreambox levels (I think you can set the start point, BTW). DS6, going into 1st, uses Dreambox and is working right now between 3rd and 4th grade (started at K), but he's worked on it since spring and he really seems to like math (at least right now). Also, he didn't simply "test out" of everything; rather, he's had to work through certain portions of grades to finish them.

I just like test scores for the DYS application - they either qualify this way or they don't (for the most part - their discretion, of course, but often true if you follow others here). We chickened out of trying the portfolio option, because I couldn't figure out what might be "good enough." Others here might be more helpful with portfolio suggestions. wink HTH!

Last edited by Loy58; 07/21/14 06:47 PM. Reason: add info
    LAF #196883 07/21/14 06:18 PM
    P
    P
    Have your ds and dd ever been given an achievement test? You might be surprised where they score on something like the WJ-III (as in a good surprise, just to be clear!). Each subtest is very short and specific - you can google for a description of each to get a feel for what it is - it's not exactly the same type of test they may be getting when they re given "pretests" at school.

What you are seeing with your ds9 in the classroom (not seeming to want to achieve higher than grade level) might just be boredom and or lack of opportunity to show the level he *can* work at.

Sorry I can't help with specific portfolio suggestions, but if you search here at the forums there have been quite a few threads with suggestions in the past.

Best wishes,

polarbear

LAF #196885 07/21/14 07:14 PM
    J
    J
    I would chime in with Loy58. We knew our DS9 (just turned 10) was doing very well with grade level work....he was in the 4th grade last year, and eligible to take the Explore....'wake up call' could not be a better description....he did exceptionally well. The Explore would be my first option...you always have the WIAT or W J Ach as additional options. You will have more of a wait on getting your Explore scores back. Good Luck

LAF #196897 07/21/14 09:09 PM
    LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi, I checked into Explore, but I'm not sure I can still have DS9 take it based on this link http://www.act.org/products/k-12-act-explore/

Should I have him take Aspire? I gather that's the replacement test for Explore...

Last edited by LAF; 07/21/14 09:09 PM.
    LAF #196898 07/21/14 09:27 PM
    C
    C
    look into local talent search and take whatever they offer

Last edited by Chrys; 07/21/14 09:28 PM.
    LAF #196899 07/21/14 09:32 PM
    L
    L
    Several of the Talent Searches have said that they will use EXPLORE this coming year (but probably the last time). As I recall, NUMATS (I think this is on their website currently, too) and possibly Berlin-Blank have said they will use it (so I am betting Duke-TIP and others will, too).

LAF #196901 07/21/14 10:05 PM
    LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I looked into it on the ACT site but I can't tell if the scheduled testing in my area is just for the ACT or also for the EXPLORE. I guess I can call tomorrow.

I live in Southern California, so Duke TIP etc are too far away..

Last edited by LAF; 07/21/14 10:06 PM.
    LAF #196903 07/21/14 10:31 PM
    J
    J
    It is definitely being offered this year...It is even being administered for the first time at the Davidson Academy if I am not mistaken....perhaps they can assist is helping you find a location in SoCal

Loy58...I sent you a PM

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM