Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    cdfox: You're clearly mixing your terms here, because many of the highly-valuable Web 2.0 services out there are not open source. They're revenue-generating proprietary systems... and what's wrong with that? If someone designs an infrastructure and an application solution that's so revolutionary that everyone wants to take part, why not use it to generate revenue? Isn't that the point of capitalism?

I'm a supporter of open source, too, but you have to realize there's a crapload of time, energy, and money that's required to keep something like Wikipedia online, and someone has to pay the bills. There's only so much you can reasonably expect for free.

If you don't like Google's search results, you can always use DuckDuckGo. I've tried them both, and I find Google still gives me more useful results, even if the first three are ads. If you're worried about privacy, you can always switch to the https version of the page and access it through a public proxy server.

And this statement here is just wrong:

No, there isn't a Web 2.0 browser at the moment; probably because private industry wants to steer people to commerce and advertising revenue than free, public, open source material. That's part of the problem from my perspective.

Web 2.0 isn't fundamentally different from Web 1.0 from a technological standpoint... it's just a buzz-phrase for web content that's collaborative and user-generated. This is a Web 2.0 site, and you're using a Web 2.0 browser right now.

Web 2.0 is different than Web 1.0 from a user perspective. A passive, fixed website (like ones created before 2003) does not allow interaction like watching a television program or video. An interactive, immersive website can pump the creative juices.

Sorry, maybe there's no difference between Web 2.0 and Web 1.0 to you or adults, but from a young child's perspective a Web 2.0 world is different. The Internet is not the same static, fixed medium it once was. It is constantly growing and evolving but many adults stick to the same websites due to the lack of time, energy, etc. as you've pointed out.

There's nothing wrong with revenue-generating proprietary systems. That's called capitalism. It's your choice to pay money. It's your choice to use Google or not. It's your time, money, energy. It's your decision. Yes, adults have to make a living.

People are using Web 2.0 tools like Facebook and Twitter in very creative ways; the food truck movement, for instance, is using it to reach out to their customers and notify their daily whereabouts.

Open source is an alternative. That's the free market.

Here's the interesting part though, even the profit-generating, proprietary systems are starting to offer FREE basic services. I recently tried out video mail (www.eyejot.com). Eyejot offers free accounts, but if you want more advanced features and services then you've got to pay for it, which is fair.

A BBS or a newsgroup would fit the description of interactive, user-supplied content. These things are as old as networking. When the web came about, we immediately had chat rooms, web forums, blogs, and file-sharing sites. Again, they're as old as the web. I was a registered contributor to a predecessor to Wikipedia back in 1999.

Again, Web 2.0 is a mostly-meaningless buzz-phrase.

Facebook and Twitter are outrageously overrated.

The stuff I've seen is ReadingEggs, PBS kids, Jumpstart World, and the Kidzui kid browser. �They are not user-generated. �IRL Books and music are not user generated or free. �If it's all about free content then I'm firmly on the fence since I have several family members living in the entertainment industry, including video-game design. �

�So, more to the point, what would you like to tell the kids? �What would you consider a computer literacy lab? �The first time I saw anybody using a search engine they told me, "scroll down past the first section because it's advertisements."

On the third hand i love the Star Trek the next Generation show. �Here's wishing for a computer like that. �Sometimes I pretend. �I type in my google questions like this.. (computer) "define web2.0". �Patiently awaiting a transporter. �Hopefully it's a shareware version. �

But I guess you mean YouTube & the SAM Gallery.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    S
    S
    If children will be playing a lot of games, it will not improve their intelligence.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM